The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocbrownie
I never thought I'd say this but thank god for the individual investi-f**k-ation

same! doing one on rates actually helped for the exam
Original post by Charletitia
I was confused by the last question because the second to last question asked for the linkage (NHCO) and then the last question is how would it effect the linkage found in i) so thought it would have no effect on the LINK?

Errrrr :frown:
I put excess NH3 for the first one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put ammonia too as did many others....as sulfuric acid is catalyst and im sure there's no mention of the catalyst of this reaction in the spec
Here's that Hitler reaction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeLz-8RVQuw
Okay thanks, that's what I did thank goodness!
Original post by strugglingstdnt
the concentration at 30 hours only, because that is what the concentration is at that time and thats what you need - not the difference
Original post by thedontom
What did the IR question actually say? I just remember saying there was no O-H blah blah and there was a C=O blah blah... (Blah blah is wave number and that :P)

* Did we have to say what molecule it was or something? Mis-read the question O.o

yeah you had to say between the 2 which one it was, (was the tri due to no O-H bond i think)
did it ask to draw the structural formula of glucose??
Original post by Jaz_ace
did it ask to draw the structural formula of glucose??

Well it asked you to draw the monomer of cellulose which is beta-glucose so basically
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag

Amazing! Haha best one yet!
Original post by EmmaDalby97
Well it asked you to draw the monomer of cellulose which is beta-glucose so basically

ohh yeah, i did that, hitler scared me for a bit

creasing at this, nandos-tier banter
EVERYONE vote/poll on how you found this test !!!!!!!!

VOTE NOW!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3395969
Original post by Chuffers
creasing at this, nandos-tier banter

Thanks, my friend made it and I thought it was pretty funny.
Thanks, my friend made it and I thought it was pretty funny.

****ing vanadium
I honestly feel so gutted by that exam...

I was studying mark schemes, past papers. It got to the stage where all the past papers i loaded on my tablet looked familiar, I was pulling out answer-after-answer on the past papers quickly, and i was beating the time limit by quite a margin whilst still getting decent grades... In fact, before the exam, I did a past paper and got myself an A on it...

And then i went into that exam... And wow... Honestly. I struggled more than i ever have. Usually in chemistry you have some questions which are very hard (for instance, there's a titration one which threw me because concentration wasn't given), and using applied knowledge, but in every paper, there's also nice questions which are generic, simple, pretty nice to go through...

In this paper, things got completely flipped on their head. There seemed to be much horrible questions that relied on deciphering OCR's version of English than knowing content (cmon OCR, I was expecting at least 1 question on chiral centers or E/Z isomerism).

This is the worst paper they've ever done on the salter B spec in my opinion. I know the grade boundaries have to be low this year (smartest person in my class struggled, and they're off to Oxford!). But am i the only one worried about how much they have to come down by in order for most students to pass?
Good bye to university
for the drawing of the half-cell with the vanadium, what did people put as the electrodes? i put Platinum for VO2+ and VO+ and Vanadium for V3+ and V2+
Original post by cbartlett
I honestly feel so gutted by that exam...

I was studying mark schemes, past papers. It got to the stage where all the past papers i loaded on my tablet looked familiar, I was pulling out answer-after-answer on the past papers quickly, and i was beating the time limit by quite a margin whilst still getting decent grades... In fact, before the exam, I did a past paper and got myself an A on it...

And then i went into that exam... And wow... Honestly. I struggled more than i ever have. Usually in chemistry you have some questions which are very hard (for instance, there's a titration one which threw me because concentration wasn't given), and using applied knowledge, but in every paper, there's also nice questions which are generic, simple, pretty nice to go through...

In this paper, things got completely flipped on their head. There seemed to be much horrible questions that relied on deciphering OCR's version of English than knowing content (cmon OCR, I was expecting at least 1 question on chiral centers or E/Z isomerism).

This is the worst paper they've ever done on the salter B spec in my opinion. I know the grade boundaries have to be low this year (smartest person in my class struggled, and they're off to Oxford!). But am i the only one worried about how much they have to come down by in order for most students to pass?

I feel exactly the same. :'(
I did all the papers many times and was getting good grades and i (thought) understood all the content. I felt pretty confident before the exam.....
Each page had a new confusing question on it. I feel like it was all tricks. OCR are not testing our knowledge but constantly trying to trip us up by their strange OCR language. I ran out of time and having panicked about all the hard questions, I didn't cheak the simpler ones and I know I made stupid mistakes. I felt like I could maybe have figured some of the harder questions out if there was more time to think, rather than having to make a random stab in the dark and hope for the best.
My dreams are ruined...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it was platinum for both because no solid vanadium metal was in any of the half equations
Original post by chokinggas
for the drawing of the half-cell with the vanadium, what did people put as the electrodes? i put Platinum for VO2+ and VO+ and Vanadium for V3+ and V2+

I put platinum electrodes for both because they were both aqueous or something which is obviously got it wrong :frown:. I was about to cry whilst doing the exam... I just failed that exam so badly and there's no way i'm getting to uni because of this :/
Original post by standoesmaths
I think it was platinum for both because no solid vanadium metal was in any of the half equations

I put platinum for both too and for the question below that, I put the fact that the platinum electrodes could themselves get reduced by accepting electrons which could affect the electrode potential (I just chatted a load of **** hahaha)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending