The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone reckon next week is gonna be as ridiculous or are they going to cut us some ****ing slack?
Original post by standoesmaths
Does anyone reckon next week is gonna be as ridiculous or are they going to cut us some ****ing slack?

It's the bigger exam so I think it will be worse :frown:
Original post by GianluigiBuffon
I put platinum for both too and for the question below that, I put the fact that the platinum electrodes could themselves get reduced by accepting electrons which could affect the electrode potential (I just chatted a load of **** hahaha)

I put that it wasn't at 298K or 1moldm3
I think it was platinum for both because no solid vanadium metal was in any of the half equations

Agreed. There is one thing bugging me though. What was the sf suppose to be to in maths question? They gave values to 3,2 and 1 significant figures. I chose 2 cos in 2012 series they tried to pull a similar stunt. I wasnt giving it to 1 cos thats just didnt feel right.
It's the bigger exam so I think it will be worse :frown:

Was it hard or easy last year? My friend said last year was easy so they went off the deepend this year to compensate. Maybe if the big one was hard last year they'll make it medium this year? :/

Yehh i said not under standard conditions n also temp was not 298K and maybe voltmeter wasnt high resistant :/

Um Im hoping for a paper where first 2 questions are easy and as you go to the end it gets really difficult but because you got through the beginning efficiently you actually have time to properly answer it.
Original post by LordGaben
Agreed. There is one thing bugging me though. What was the sf suppose to be to in maths question? They gave values to 3,2 and 1 significant figures. I chose 2 cos in 2012 series they tried to pull a similar stunt. I wasnt giving it to 1 cos thats just didnt feel right.

I did 3sf because they said 23.5 cm3 and 0.250 moldm-3 or something

That's a good answer tbh. I was thinking of putting that but it said something about not involving experimental limitations or something
Original post by LordGaben
Um Im hoping for a paper where first 2 questions are easy and as you go to the end it gets really difficult but because you got through the beginning efficiently you actually have time to properly answer it.

Yeah that's what all the rest were like! Normally 3 or 4 is crazy and then it winds down a little for 5. Today is the first time I struggled to finish...
Reply 830
For the first order/half-life one, I think the second concentration was twice that of the fourth concentration and the third concentration was twice that of the fifth. The difference in hours between the second and fourth was something like 190 and it was the same for the difference between the third and fifth, so that showed the half-life was constant, hence first order.
That's a good answer tbh. I was thinking of putting that but it said something about not involving experimental limitations or something

I think it meant him screwing up like human error but temp. and conc. are more planning rather than you cocking up.
Yeah that's what all the rest were like! Normally 3 or 4 is crazy and then it winds down a little for 5. Today is the first time I struggled to finish...

Yh exactly that. The paper wasn't actually that hard but the timing makes you panic. June 14 was a brilliant unit 5 paper. 91 for A* and was pretty doable.
I think it meant him screwing up like human error but temp. and conc. are more planning rather than you cocking up.

yeah I'd agree but I failed that exam so badly that its come to a point where I've just lost motivation to revise and I have 3 exams next week including Biology and Business as well as chemistry so it looks like i'm going to have to take a gap year... :frown:
yeah I'd agree but I failed that exam so badly that its come to a point where I've just lost motivation to revise and I have 3 exams next week including Biology and Business as well as chemistry so it looks like i'm going to have to take a gap year... :frown:

First of all that sounded like I meant you specifically cocking up I meant the student/a general person. Second, you can't let this 3xam knock you! You need to focus all the more now. Take it from someone who's going into a physics exam unprepared tomorrow because they spent all day worrying about this exam.
Is there a full unofficial mark scheme available by any chance ?
think i missed the last question how many marks was it worth? the one with ph graph
Original post by Jackgyork
think i missed the last question how many marks was it worth? the one with ph graph

Think it was 2
Original post by cbartlett
I honestly feel so gutted by that exam...

I was studying mark schemes, past papers. It got to the stage where all the past papers i loaded on my tablet looked familiar, I was pulling out answer-after-answer on the past papers quickly, and i was beating the time limit by quite a margin whilst still getting decent grades... In fact, before the exam, I did a past paper and got myself an A on it...

And then i went into that exam... And wow... Honestly. I struggled more than i ever have. Usually in chemistry you have some questions which are very hard (for instance, there's a titration one which threw me because concentration wasn't given), and using applied knowledge, but in every paper, there's also nice questions which are generic, simple, pretty nice to go through...

In this paper, things got completely flipped on their head. There seemed to be much horrible questions that relied on deciphering OCR's version of English than knowing content (cmon OCR, I was expecting at least 1 question on chiral centers or E/Z isomerism).

This is the worst paper they've ever done on the salter B spec in my opinion. I know the grade boundaries have to be low this year (smartest person in my class struggled, and they're off to Oxford!). But am i the only one worried about how much they have to come down by in order for most students to pass?

According to the polls, most people found it hard or very hard.

Vote now if you have not done so.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3395969
Original post by Jackgyork

It was 2 marks but it wasnt the last question....There was another side one 2 marker i think and one last 1 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending