The Student Room Group

AQA AS Further Maths D1 - June 16th 2015

Hi guys, this is a thread for the AQA MD01 exam on the 16th, for the usual discussion of the module and any questions regarding the exam. I'll be happy to give anyone help; this is my last exam and so I can go 'full-on D1 mode' now XD.
Having said that, I've done no D1 for about 2 months so it's tonnes of papers from now until Tuesday :redface:.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrimeLime
Hi guys, this is a thread for the AQA MD01 exam on the 16th, for the usual discussion of the module and any questions regarding the exam. I'll be happy to give anyone help; this is my last exam and so I can go 'full-on D1 mode' now XD.
Having said that, I've done no D1 for about 2 months so it's tonnes of papers from now until Tuesday :redface:.

I've just got D1 and then D2 left, but they shouldn't be too hard.
Reply 2
Original post by student0042
I've just got D1 and then D2 left, but they shouldn't be too hard.

Yep, D1's the one you wanna 100% if possible. I heard that D2 was really hard last year? Also, is D2 more interesting than D1? D1's pretty boring...
I haven't done last year's paper, but I don't think it was that hard because the grade boundaries were quite high. In my opinion it is definitely more interesting than D1 which rightly as you say is pretty boring. Next year I won't have to do any more decision though, which is good.
Reply 4
I haven't done last year's paper, but I don't think it was that hard because the grade boundaries were quite high. In my opinion it is definitely more interesting than D1 which rightly as you say is pretty boring. Next year I won't have to do any more decision though, which is good.

Yeah I don't know why our school makes us do so much decision maths. It really doesn't help at all for university admissions tests, since they only examine pure, mechanics and stats.
Yeah I don't know why our school makes us do so much decision maths. It really doesn't help at all for university admissions tests, since they only examine pure, mechanics and stats.

What are you aiming for in Decision 1, and maths overall?
Reply 6
What are you aiming for in Decision 1, and maths overall?

Well, D1 is part of my AS FM this year.
To be honest, I was trying to get 100% in AS Maths overall but one stupid S1 question ruined that. But I think I have a shot at 100% AS FM provided I get full UMS in D1 (and obviously provided that I got full UMS in FP1 and S2, which is possible but not certain).
Yeah I know I'm aiming high...
Well, D1 is part of my AS FM this year.
To be honest, I was trying to get 100% in AS Maths overall but one stupid S1 question ruined that. But I think I have a shot at 100% AS FM provided I get full UMS in D1 (and obviously provided that I got full UMS in FP1 and S2, which is possible but not certain).
Yeah I know I'm aiming high...

I'm aiming high too, but I believe I messed up quite a few questions in Core 2. Core 3 and 4 I think I will have 100 UMS and maybe FP1. Probably not full UMS in Mechanics, but that depends where the grade boundaries are. I think if I'm going to get 100 UMS, it's going to be on the D1 paper, and I hope to get it on the D2 paper as well.
Reply 8
I'm aiming high too, but I believe I messed up quite a few questions in Core 2. Core 3 and 4 I think I will have 100 UMS and maybe FP1. Probably not full UMS in Mechanics, but that depends where the grade boundaries are. I think if I'm going to get 100 UMS, it's going to be on the D1 paper, and I hope to get it on the D2 paper as well.

I think they'll go out of their way to make D1 tricky this year. I mean, they've made all the other modules significantly harder, so it makes sense.
What do you think they'll do to make the paper harder on Tuesday? Maybe an unusual linear programming question or some slightly more difficult graph theory?
which d1 paper did you guys find the hardest so far?
I think they'll go out of their way to make D1 tricky this year. I mean, they've made all the other modules significantly harder, so it makes sense.
What do you think they'll do to make the paper harder on Tuesday? Maybe an unusual linear programming question or some slightly more difficult graph theory?

I'm thinking difficult graph theory, like last year. To be honest it is quite hard to make D1 harder, but I'm sure they will try their best. They could introduce X as a value in the different algorithms or sorts and work out the value, I don't think they have done that before.

They was an 8 marker on formulating a linear programming question last year, and two exams ago, so maybe this year they will just make us draw on the graph.

There will probably be either a sort/algorithm too, as there wasn't one last year.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm thinking difficult graph theory, like last year. To be honest it is quite hard to make D1 harder, but I'm sure they will try their best. They could introduce X as a value in the different algorithms or sorts and work out the value, I don't think they have done that before.

They was an 8 marker on formulating a linear programming question last year, and two exams ago, so maybe this year they will just make us draw on the graph.

There will probably be either a sort/algorithm too, as there wasn't one last year.

I took M1 today and it seemed like they were moving away from the traditional questions and trying new styles so i don't know if this will be the same in D1, i think they'll try and test knowledge of definitions and maybe put more weight on questions like the final one in the June 14 paper.
Reply 12
There is another thread for this exam but I am subscribing to this nevertheless.

D1 is honestly hit or miss for me. If I manage to mess up I mess up with a great style...
Original post by C0balt
There is another thread for this exam but I am subscribing to this nevertheless.

D1 is honestly hit or miss for me. If I manage to mess up I mess up with a great style...

Do you have a link to the other thread, i saw it the other day but i cant find it again haha
Reply 14
Original post by will_iredale
I took M1 today and it seemed like they were moving away from the traditional questions and trying new styles so i don't know if this will be the same in D1, i think they'll try and test knowledge of definitions and maybe put more weight on questions like the final one in the June 14 paper.

Time to actually move away from the papers and read the book, then.

Do you have a link to the other thread, i saw it the other day but i cant find it again haha

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3357601
Original post by C0balt
Time to actually move away from the papers and read the book, then.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3357601

Thanks, and yeah it's annoying as i prefer just doing papers, trying for 100 UMS so if they throw any odd questions in it could mess that up haha.
Reply 16
Thanks, and yeah it's annoying as i prefer just doing papers, trying for 100 UMS so if they throw any odd questions in it could mess that up haha.

If anything odd is thrown in the UMS cap would probably be lower at least :lol:
I think I'd probably be able to do complex algorithm questions (like variable added) because that only requires thinking, but if any definition question w/ graph theory is added in I'd have to say a good bye to my maths UMS lol
Original post by C0balt
If anything odd is thrown in the UMS cap would probably be lower at least :lol:
I think I'd probably be able to do complex algorithm questions (like variable added) because that only requires thinking, but if any definition question w/ graph theory is added in I'd have to say a good bye to my maths UMS lol

Yeah after doing C3 and C4 decision seems like a bit of a joke haha, I'm just worried about losing marks on silly mistakes like addition errors and stuff.
Can someone explain this

number of different hamiltonian cycles: (n-1)!

however.. a graph with 3 nodes is surely gonna have more than 2 hamiltonian cycles as it could have ABCA ACBA CBAC

or are these things just the same or what ahhhh

Also: linear programming.

"draw the direction of the objective line"

on mark schemes they point the arrows at either end of the line towards the axis? why is this?
Reply 19
Yeah after doing C3 and C4 decision seems like a bit of a joke haha, I'm just worried about losing marks on silly mistakes like addition errors and stuff.

D1 is like the worst module to make errors, especially for those with drawing! I always seem to go wrong in tracing algorithm questions... :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending