Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any predications?
A big question on meiosis hasn't come up in a while :/
Original post by Rupinder96
Does anyone have any predications?
A big question on meiosis hasn't come up in a while :/

I hope it isn't! I hate meiosis

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope there isn't as well! but it's hard to predict what could up come tbh after f214
Original post by Rupinder96
I hope there isn't as well! but it's hard to predict what could up come tbh after f214

Yeah that's true you just have to laugh about f214! It was like a whole paper on dialysis!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please explain me how to answer this question:

White Leghorn domesticated chickens carry a dominant allele, I, that inhibitsfeather pigmentation. Birds homozygous for the recessive allele, i, havepigmented plumage, provided that they carry the dominant allele, C, of a gene formelanin production.

Red Junglefowl are the wild ancestors of domesticated chickens.Homozygous White Leghorns were crossed with homozygous Red Junglefowland the F1 offspring, all of which were white, interbred to give an F2 generation.The F2 generation included both white and pigmented birds.

(i) State the genotypes at the I/i and C/c loci of the parental and F1generations.

parental phenotypes: White Leghorn × Red Junglefowl

parental genotypes: ........................ ........................

F1 genotype: ...............................................................
Outline the steps involved in sequencing the genome of an organism.
If a question asked this what would you write because there are two ways mentioned in the textbook
1. Page 166-167 it talks about BACs
2. Page 172-173 it talks about automated DNA sequencing
Original post by EvasiveRose
Epistasis is the interaction of gene loci where one gene locus masks/suppresses the expression of another gene locus (so it is not expressed in the phenotype) via an enzyme pathway

There are three forms of epistasis:
1. Recessive epistasis:
*A homozygous recessive condition at either gene locus suppresses the expression of the alleles at the other gene locus regardless of what they are
9: 4: 3 is the ratio this manifests itself within
2. Dominant epistasis:
*A dominant allele at one gene locus masks the expression of the alleles at the second gene locus regardless of whether they are dominant/recessive
13: 3 or 12: 3: 1 ratio
3. Complementary epistasis:
*A dominant allele needs to be present at both gene locus' for the phenotype to be expressed
9: 7 ratio
*Usually involves the product of one reaction being the substrate for the next reaction (is a multi enzyme pathway)

I'm sure the OCR book says something along similar lines. Is there anything specific you're confused about?

So it depends on the gene locus to determine its epsitasis?
I defo think there will be some genetic stuff like crosses and phenotypes and maybe chi-squared

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
That's the worst section!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cinderella25
So it depends on the gene locus to determine its epsitasis?

It depends on what alleles are present at each gene locus- whether they're homozygous recessive, dominant, etc that determines what type of epistasis it is
Hi guys can anyone check if this answer is correct for a question that asks

"outline how to sequence a genome"

1.mechanically shear samples of the genome and place into BACs and transfer to E.Coli

2. Ecoli will replicate and form clone libaries , then extract DNA from a clone library and cur into smaller fragments using R.enzymes

3. Seperate DNA fragments by electrophoresis where smaller fragements travel furher up agrose gel than longer fragments

4. Now use chain termination method to produce many lengths of DNA fragments . Mixture should have primers , DNA polymerase , DNA nucleotides + nucleotides with fluorescent marker

5. When fluorescent marker is added DNA polymerase is "thrown off " leading to many lengths of DNA fragements

6. Put DNA fragmnets though laser to read colour sequence = Base sequence

Any help greatly appreciated as this is my most difficult topic !
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Hi guys can anyone check if this answer is correct for a question that asks

"outline how to sequence a genome"

1.mechanically shear samples of the genome and place into BACs and transfer to E.Coli

2. Ecoli will replicate and form clone libaries , then extract DNA from a clone library and cur into smaller fragments using R.enzymes

3. Seperate DNA fragments by electrophoresis where smaller fragements travel furher up agrose gel than longer fragments

4. Now use chain termination method to produce many lengths of DNA fragments . Mixture should have primers , DNA polymerase , DNA nucleotides + nucleotides with fluorescent marker

5. When fluorescent marker is added DNA polymerase is "thrown off " leading to many lengths of DNA fragements

6. Put DNA fragmnets though laser to read colour sequence = Base sequence

Any help greatly appreciated as this is my most difficult topic !

I hope this is correct bec. this is just about what i would write in the exam! iA.
Original post by bakedbeans247
I hope this is correct bec. this is just about what i would write in the exam! iA.

Im not too sure :biggrin: , I bloody hope it is !
I'm hoping chi squared and hardy Weinberg both come up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3394
Original post by cr7alwayz
Outline the steps involved in sequencing the genome of an organism.
If a question asked this what would you write because there are two ways mentioned in the textbook
1. Page 166-167 it talks about BACs
2. Page 172-173 it talks about automated DNA sequencing

BAC's is to sequence a whole genome.

Automated is to sequence a DNA, you may not need to sequence the whole DNA so you sequence the sections you are interested in.

Correct me if im wrong.
Reply 3395
Quick Question... HEP.jpg
Original post by Alice00

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I cracked Hardy Weinberg two nights ago so I'm hoping it comes up xD
Original post by Alice00

Posted from TSR Mobile

loool i hope so too iA.
Original post by bakedbeans247
loool i hope so too iA.

haven't seen chi squared in any recent papers so there is a good chance it might come up.
Original post by EvasiveRose
It depends on what alleles are present at each gene locus- whether they're homozygous recessive, dominant, etc that determines what type of epistasis it is

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending