The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Environmental Studies/Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DecantedOrange
Also did abiotic essay. What did you write about? I did
Temperature -polytunnels and greenhouses so crop can always be at optimum temp
Light- LED bulbs coloured to plants specific wavelength so they can maximize light absorption in chlorophyll so higher rate of photosynthesis- more growth
pH - lime added, increases productivity because if pH is too low proteins in root hair cells won't absorb nutrients
Soil nutrients- crop rotation and fertilizers
Wind- barrier crops/trees so less damage to crops
Co2/O2 can be controlled in greenhouses to maximize respiration and photosynthesis
Water-irrigation if soil moisture gets too low

Soil nutrients is micro and macro nutrients drip fed; co2 you have to say fossil fuelled heaters; light doesn't matter about types of wavelength in agroecosystems; wind you can have shelter belts as well; 02 is controlled by ploughing for aeration
Also you forgot all about livestock production and plant hormones
Also drainage for water uptake; and organic matter e.g. Humus and mulch
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aaron Penberthy
Soil nutrients is micro and macro nutrients drip fed; co2 you have to say fossil fuelled heaters; light doesn't matter about types of wavelength in agroecosystems; wind you can have shelter belts as well; 02 is controlled by ploughing for aeration

Crop Rotation of leguminous crops and fertilizers isn't wrong at all. Also, wavelengths of light absolutely does matter take a look at this link. The question was how can farmers control abiotic factors to increase productivity in agroecosystems. Light can be controlled to increase productivity and therefore is a a valid answer. Ventilation is also a valid answer, I'm pretty sure it's in the book. Obviously I've forgotten things, I'm not some fountain of knowledge but you only get like what 14 marks for scientific content? Each point can get you 3 marks so you only need to write about 5 to get all the marks. I don't appreciate the tone at all thanks, I'll judge how well I've done by how my teachers have responded and results day. I don't need you to correct me and tell me what's right and wrong when you haven't seen the markscheme
Crop Rotation of leguminous crops and fertilizers isn't wrong at all. Also, wavelengths of light absolutely does matter take a look at this link. The question was how can farmers control abiotic factors to increase productivity in agroecosystems. Light can be controlled to increase productivity and therefore is a a valid answer. Ventilation is also a valid answer, I'm pretty sure it's in the book. Obviously I've forgotten things, I'm not some fountain of knowledge but you only get like what 14 marks for scientific content? Each point can get you 3 marks so you only need to write about 5 to get all the marks. I don't appreciate the tone at all thanks, I'll judge how well I've done by how my teachers have responded and results day. I don't need you to correct me and tell me what's right and wrong when you haven't seen the markscheme

I'm just saying if you go by the aqa textbook there's nothing bout wavelengths hahaha... If by ventilation for 02 then I'm sure I didn't say no to that... May have been the way I type things cuz I'm not gonna sit here talking as if I'm some upper class bellsniff saying these like "tone" ; there was no tone bud... I only say what I say because I had one a level to revise this year and I know that textbook off by heart - the way you have said about light was what I was saying is wrong cuz your talking wavelengths mate;
Light is what photochemically reacts with the chemical reactants of photosynthesis to produce the enery for growth - UV is UV it's the same ****ing wavelength... Also missing the whole of livestock and therefore not understanding "agroecosystem" properly means your teachers are pretty stupid...

Also soul nutrients you haven't identified micronutrients e,g, zinc and copper which was all I was trying to say... Haha I think if i could speak the way I said that you wouldn't of replied in such a monkey-ish manner
P.s. Thus I never said anything you said was wrong apart from the wavelengths I was simply adding things that I had said that you hadn't rather than writing out everything you said and all the extras that I wrote

Okay having read that link wavelengths do matter but it's not in the textbook so they aren't wanting it at A level probs some degree stuff so good job there! You're at an A either way on the essay was just pointing stuff out; think the lack of anything on livestock might lower your grade and hopefully you defined productivity at the start! :P good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Having specific wavelengths is actually a very good point, different plants have different chlorophyll that can only absorb certain wavelengths, e.g carotids can only absorb blues and greens. What did you write about for livestock production? i put about temperature control in intensive rearing, pretty sure thats the only controlled abiotic factor and plant hormones are not abiotic factors.
I'm just saying if you go by the aqa textbook there's nothing bout wavelengths hahaha... If by ventilation for 02 then I'm sure I didn't say no to that... May have been the way I type things cuz I'm not gonna sit here talking as if I'm some upper class bellsniff saying these like "tone" ; there was no tone bud... I only say what I say because I had one a level to revise this year and I know that textbook off by heart - the way you have said about light was what I was saying is wrong cuz your talking wavelengths mate;
Light is what photochemically reacts with the chemical reactants of photosynthesis to produce the enery for growth - UV is UV it's the same ****ing wavelength... Also missing the whole of livestock and therefore not understanding "agroecosystem" properly means your teachers are pretty stupid...

Also soul nutrients you haven't identified micronutrients e,g, zinc and copper which was all I was trying to say... Haha I think if i could speak the way I said that you wouldn't of replied in such a monkey-ish manner
P.s. Thus I never said anything you said was wrong apart from the wavelengths I was simply adding things that I had said that you hadn't rather than writing out everything you said and all the extras that I wrote

Okay having read that link wavelengths do matter but it's not in the textbook so they aren't wanting it at A level probs some degree stuff so good job there! You're at an A either way on the essay was just pointing stuff out; think the lack of anything on livestock might lower your grade and hopefully you defined productivity at the start! :P good luck!

You get marks for content outside of the specification. That's what the "range" marks are also for. I didn't write about livestock because I'd already written enough about the rest of it. The truth is, I'm not even that bothered about this subject. I only took it to supplement my application for biology at uni and it doesn't really matter what grade I get I just came on here to see what everyone else put and share my answers.

Also, UV isn't really "Light" in the sense that it's not visible light. In terms of physics UV, Gamma and Radio are all known as "Light" but in this sense they aren't. I was talking about the visible spectrum of light. The light provides the energy for the chlorophyll to raise the electrons to a higher energy level in the light dependent stage of photosynthesis. Not all plants have the same photosynthetic pigments and they absorb different amounts of different wavelengths e.g. chlorophyll A is best adapted for red/blue wavelengths and chlorophyll B is best for Yellow. Here's a graph https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg/710px-Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg.png Also, UV isn't just UV. There is UVA/B/C and probably more subclassifications (which is in the book)

Ventilation for CO2, 6th paragraph down. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-077.htm
Ventilation for a range of factors http://www.hydroponics.com.au/issue-119-importance-of-ventilation-in-commercial-greenhouses/
(edited 8 years ago)
You get marks for content outside of the specification. That's what the "range" marks are also for. I didn't write about livestock because I'd already written enough about the rest of it. The truth is, I'm not even that bothered about this subject. I only took it to supplement my application for biology at uni and it doesn't really matter what grade I get I just came on here to see what everyone else put and share my answers.

Also, UV isn't really "Light" in the sense that it's not visible light. In terms of physics UV, Gamma and Radio are all known as "Light" but in this sense they aren't. I was talking about the visible spectrum of light. The light provides the energy for the chlorophyll to raise the electrons to a higher energy level in the light dependent stage of photosynthesis. Not all plants have the same photosynthetic pigments and they absorb different amounts of different wavelengths e.g. chlorophyll A is best adapted for red/blue wavelengths and chlorophyll B is best for Yellow. Here's a graph https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg/710px-Chlorophyll_ab_spectra-en.svg.png Also, UV isn't just UV. There is UVA/B/C and probably more subclassifications (which is in the book)

Ventilation for CO2, 6th paragraph down. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-077.htm
Ventilation for a range of factors http://www.hydroponics.com.au/issue-119-importance-of-ventilation-in-commercial-greenhouses/

Don't know what book you've got as light wavelengths ain't in it, and fair enough bout the ventilation never said that wasn't there, hormones can be manipulated by abiotic factors so i thought they were; if they are not then fair enough.. Can't take marks away can they; and yea just talked about steroids and temperature for livestock and light as it effects breeding of hens etc

You say you're not "a fountain of knowledge" but sure sounds like you are hahah; fair enough you'll doing biology so not surprised you know stuff like this; I like partying too much to do a biology degree or some **** like that
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't know what book you've got as light wavelengths ain't in it, and fair enough bout the ventilation never said that wasn't there, hormones can be manipulated by abiotic factors so i thought they were; if they are not then fair enough.. Can't take marks away can they; and yea just talked about steroids and temperature for livestock and light as it effects breeding of hens etc

You say you're not "a fountain of knowledge" but sure sounds like you are hahah; fair enough you'll doing biology so not surprised you know stuff like this; I like partying too much to do a biology degree or some **** like that

Aaron in ENVS3 I came out the exam thinking wow, that went well. Then you made me feel like I failed. Same again for ENVS4. Wow. That was good. And now you've said loads of stuff that's made me doubt myself again! Ha. I need to stop checking this thread :')
Reply 167
I'm thinking about distance learning this A level- would you recommend it?
Hey guys I'm doing the full a level in one year, also I'm teaching myself😂 so yeah i'm kinda panicing loads, how did all your exams go? I see this post was made a year ago but i have no one else really to talk about it to😂
I found it quite hard, think it was hard to please the examiner. Did really well in all my other 3 a levels but got a C in this so still good I guess! I think as long as you revise effectively and learn how the marks scheme works you should be fine. I think I prioritised sociology and geography too much if I'm honest. Good luck and tell me if there's anything else I can help with
Original post by darkdetective
I found it quite hard, think it was hard to please the examiner. Did really well in all my other 3 a levels but got a C in this so still good I guess! I think as long as you revise effectively and learn how the marks scheme works you should be fine. I think I prioritised sociology and geography too much if I'm honest. Good luck and tell me if there's anything else I can help with

Wow C is really good considering the limited resources! Well done:smile: which unit did you find the hardest? Yeah I've been revising from the textbook and it's not helped at all with the past papers, especially on the first page when you have to give the definitions:/ I'm enjoying the subject (even though it's depressing) but I fear I wont get the grades, hopefully the examinors will be nice to me😛 thank you for replying, I will definetly heed your advice! Thank you😊
Original post by MrsStark
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else is studying this lovely subject?

I'd love if we shared some revision tips or resources you may have :smile:

Hi! I am learning this subject myself! Made alot of resources, will try and upload them :smile:

(first post guys!!)
Original post by BuilthHighBoy
Hi! I am learning this subject myself! Made alot of resources, will try and upload them :smile:

(first post guys!!)

Saviour! Thank you so much for sharing these!
so who is taking ENVS3 tomorrow?
Original post by reuben_malachi
so who is taking ENVS3 tomorrow?

Meeee
How are you finding the revision?😊
Original post by alexs98
Meeee
How are you finding the revision?😊

Its ok I guess, just familiarising myself with it all now and doing some past papers. What about you?? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Its ok I guess, just familiarising myself with it all now and doing some past papers. What about you?? :smile:

Same, just light reading and trying not to get stressed 😂 I'm not sure if I'm ready for unit 4 yet though, you?
Original post by alexs98
Same, just light reading and trying not to get stressed 😂 I'm not sure if I'm ready for unit 4 yet though, you?

Good tactic! Nono I'm not ready for unit 4 either. I've been spending most of my time on this exam and my geography, ooops. Which exam do you think is harder?
Good tactic! Nono I'm not ready for unit 4 either. I've been spending most of my time on this exam and my geography, ooops. Which exam do you think is harder?

Deffo unit 3😂 how did you find todays paper?
Anyone else think that ENVS3 went really well? I think it did!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending