The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reverse Swing
I almost did the same. What saved me was that I have a habit of making sure that I haven't missed the last page of an exam paper. I missed it once in a GCSE paper and I'm glad I did it then.

But I'm sure you weren't the only one to do that. I guess another reason why you can expect the grade boundaries to be low. :tongue:

That moment when the invigilator picks up your paper and you see the last page left empty. lol I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Praying we get the same boundaries as June 2014 but unlikely

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Are you serious? Of Which section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied bro, and yeah pm me so I know you've posted them here
(edited 8 years ago)
I smashed that exam ! Haha jk I don't do physics xD
Original post by ubisoft
That moment when the invigilator picks up your paper and you see the last page left empty. lol I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Praying we get the same boundaries as June 2014 but unlikely

Applied bro, and yeah pm me so I know you've posted them here

That's crazy man, serious. But don't worry about it. You know that you would know the answer to the questions and if you missed them it wasn't the case that you didn't know the answer to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3763
Original post by _Caz_
Has anyone got a picture of the astro paper? I've bombed this exam. So many stupid mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure most people bombed. It wasn't a straightforward test imo. Looking back on it I'm sure people could answer most questions, but it's under exam conditions and there was a lot that could catch people out.

That, coupled with the fact that last year was arguably the easiest of all unit 5 papers (at least for Astro certainly), makes it seem as though boundaries are unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
AstroGuys, do y'all think this was easier or harder or a similar standard to June 2014?
Here are the June 2014 Grade Boundaries for reference
CAP 58
A* 52
A 46
B 41
C 36
D 32
E 28
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That's crazy man, serious. But don't worry about it. You know that you would know the answer to the questions and if you missed them it wasn't the case that you didn't know the answer to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Unis won't know or care about that

Does anyone know which option usually has the lowest grade boundaries?
Original post by ubisoft
Lol Unis won't know or care about that

Does anyone know which option usually has the lowest grade boundaries?

That's true, but what you know is more important than what they think.

Last year turning points had the lowest grade boundaries i guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3767
Original post by TheRAG
AstroGuys, do y'all think this was easier or harder or a similar standard to June 2014?
Here are the June 2014 Grade Boundaries for reference
CAP 58
A* 52
A 46
B 41
C 36
D 32
E 28

Personally this year (especially the six marker) for both sections was harder.

Astro had more sneaky questions and probably the more peculiar six marker I've seen for that option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Personally this year (especially the six marker) for both sections was harder.

Astro had more sneaky questions and probably the more peculiar six marker I've seen for that option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt this years was easier.There was alot of ''Show that'' questions and its possible to get them right without any knowledge.
Also the 6 Marker wasn't hard if you actually looked at it. Clearly showed the stars getting dimmer and the change in wavelength obviously had to be red-shift.

But obviously im not the general population. But noone in my class ( even the weaker students ) came out and went ''That exam was hard''.
Original post by ImNormal
Dude, the last page of the part A? (thermal and nuc physics)
If so, I also missed it, so it might've been somet with the paper lol

ok, I am not the only person. :colonhash:
Reply 3770
Original post by Aidanleach
I felt this years was easier.There was alot of ''Show that'' questions and its possible to get them right without any knowledge.
Also the 6 Marker wasn't hard if you actually looked at it. Clearly showed the stars getting dimmer and the change in wavelength obviously had to be red-shift.

But obviously im not the general population. But noone in my class ( even the weaker students ) came out and went ''That exam was hard''.

I'm not saying it was a hard exam in general, I'm saying relative to last year which had ridiculously low boundaries for its fairly low difficulty, this year was slightly harder as so many people made slip ups in areas they didn't expect to, which makes me unsure of how the boundaries will be as they can't possibly be lower than last year.

There were vague more questions this year like the maximum range of types of radiation and odd questions like the presence of calculations in the six marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vincent Song
ok, I am not the only person. :colonhash:

Took one for the team to bring the boundaries down
Original post by CD223
I'm not saying it was a hard exam in general, I'm saying relative to last year which had ridiculously low boundaries for its fairly low difficulty, this year was slightly harder as so many people made slip ups in areas they didn't expect to, which makes me unsure of how the boundaries will be as they can't possibly be lower than last year.

There were vague more questions this year like the maximum range of types of radiation and odd questions like the presence of calculations in the six marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why were the boundaries so low last year? I haven't done the 2014 papers but was it harder or easier than 2015? Section A I'm talking about
Original post by TheRAG
What did you get?
It did state that the distances were in AU.
But if you got 2.92 AU, you should get 1 mark.

Crap, I done the answer in meters!! But I subtracted instead of adding so would have got the wrong answer anyway
Original post by Jamesbe1993
The mass given on the Schwartzchild radius question was 1x10^10, therefore a radius of ~3x10^13 m is to be calculated.

I put balmer because wavelength in the visible range... Will this get the marks??
Original post by CD223
Pretty sure most people bombed. It wasn't a straightforward test imo. Looking back on it I'm sure people could answer most questions, but it's under exam conditions and there was a lot that could catch people out.

That, coupled with the fact that last year was arguably the easiest of all unit 5 papers (at least for Astro certainly), makes it seem as though boundaries are unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I do feel like the boundaries were weirdly low last year? Like the unit 5 paper wasn't that bad last year? I hope they're low again this year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sbarron
I put balmer because wavelength in the visible range... Will this get the marks??

It may be possible, but the question was multiple marks and that to me seems as though it makes a one mark point. I would say one mark if they award it but the question did hint at the surface temperature of the star so it may have to be included in some capacity. In my description I stated that the Balmer lines would be most intense and deepest in the absorption spectra of the star as they are the most prominent lines of a star with that surface temperature.
Original post by Aidanleach

There were several 1 and 2 markers that if you didn't realize what they were asking for you just wouldn't understand or make silly mistakes on. Also you just completely generalized the 6 marker. If students couldn't interpret the graphs correctly in terms of the second peak being shallower than the 2 either side or that the second graph corresponded to red/blue shift they could easily lose 3-4 marks on that question. All exams are subjective to the individual student and can not be deterministic. Don't treat them as such.
Original post by Jamesbe1993
It may be possible, but the question was multiple marks and that to me seems as though it makes a one mark point. I would say one mark if they award it but the question did hint at the surface temperature of the star so it may have to be included in some capacity. In my description I stated that the Balmer lines would be most intense and deepest in the absorption spectra of the star as they are the most prominent lines of a star with that surface temperature.

Oh I remember that question now. That's exactly what I said, it was in spectral class A and that is where the balmer lines are most prominent.
Original post by Reverse Swing
Oh I remember that question now. That's exactly what I said, it was in spectral class A and that is where the balmer lines are most prominent.

Full marks then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending