The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Why is the specimen paper so difficult
Original post by 11234
Why is the specimen paper so difficult

The later parts of Q6 look hard but I'd say it's pretty similar to one you'd get today. No vectors is always a plus too lol.
Reply 102
Original post by fatart123
The later parts of Q6 look hard but I'd say it's pretty similar to one you'd get today. No vectors is always a plus too lol.

could you explain 5b
Original post by 11234
could you explain 5b

I haven't done the paper (probably do it later for practice) but is it not just sketching 2 graphs for the value of k you found in a)? g(x) factorises easily and f(x) is just a case of sketching two different functions for the correct domains.
Reply 104
sorry 6b
Reply 105
Ca anyone post any problems please
Original post by 11234
Ca anyone post any problems please

I'll PM you a problem I made, I'm not sure exactly how difficult it is, it's meant to take about 45 minutes to an hour and fifteen minutes. It basically only needs C4 stuff and a bit of complex numbers from the further pure modules just to start off the question (If you haven't done further pure modules you can just skip the starting part of the question, you need to use the result you deduce in later parts but it is a show that so yeah...)
Reply 107
Original post by mmms95
is anyone else feeling really unprepared for this exam?

Yeah. not too confident on summation
Me
Original post by mmms95
is anyone else feeling really unprepared for this exam?
Reply 109
aare we the last year to do this
Original post by mmms95
how many papers have you done?

0. You
Reply 111
Could anyone post any summation problems
Original post by mmms95
same
feeling so demotivated after that fp3 paper lol how was it for you?

It wasn't good. But I'm happy with what I managed to do. I'm Just really tired. This is the 7th week of examinations for me.
Original post by 11234
Could anyone post any summation problems

June 2014 q4.
All summation problems:
q4 2014
q4 2013
q3 2012 kinda
q3 2011

They're a lot more common on the really old papers (<2005), so try those if you run out. Tbh, I think if a summation problem and a vector problem come up as the last questions on Thursday I'm pretty ****ed
Reply 115
Original post by fatart123
All summation problems:
q4 2014
q4 2013
q3 2012 kinda
q3 2011

They're a lot more common on the really old papers (<2005), so try those if you run out. Tbh, I think if a summation problem and a vector problem come up as the last questions on Thursday I'm pretty ****ed

do you know any websites with summation problems like in aea
Original post by 11234
do you know any websites with summation problems like in aea

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/various/binomial_series_expansions_exam_questions.pdf

(****+) are probably to AEA standard.
Reply 117
In the warwick solutions, they refer to 'global maxima'. I'm not really sure what that means, and how it differs from a normal maximum point?
Reply 118
Original post by Bendak
In the warwick solutions, they refer to 'global maxima'. I'm not really sure what that means, and how it differs from a normal maximum point?

differentiation does not find true maxima/minima
it finds LOCAL maxima/minima
think of a cubic
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 119

(*****) but there are only a few in this thread

there are more here, but not the questions which involve convergence

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/advanced_topics/series_exam_questions.pdf

I will format some series questions and put them in another post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending