The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Applying for biology at imperial!

hi,
As you can see from the title, I'm interested in studying biology/biological sciences at imperial but I'm not certain I'll get the entry requirements.

I think my GCSE grades are fairly up to scratch?:
Maths- A
Physics- B ( I did triple science)
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
English literature- A
English language - A
Spanish -B
Statistics - B
History - A*
Geography - A
Art - A
Latin - A*

I, recently, did AS levels in maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I am predicted AAAA.

I think I might get AABB or higher though I'm not certain. I'm also doing wider reading as well as work experience at hospitals and volunteering at hospitals. (I originally wanted to do medicine). I'm, generally, quite a hardworking student so I expect my teacher references to be good.

any advice? Do you think I'd have a shot if I applied? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump ~
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hello fellow competition
Original post by rainfallin
hi,
As you can see from the title, I'm interested in studying biology/biological sciences at imperial but I'm not certain I'll get the entry requirements.

I think my GCSE grades are fairly up to scratch?:
Maths- A
Physics- B ( I did triple science)
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
English literature- A
English language - A
Spanish -B
Statistics - B
History - A*
Geography - A
Art - A
Latin - A*

I, recently, did AS levels in maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I am predicted AAAA.

I think I might get AABB or higher though I'm not certain. I'm also doing wider reading as well as work experience at hospitals and volunteering at hospitals. (I originally wanted to do medicine). I'm, generally, quite a hardworking student so I expect my teacher references to be good.

any advice? Do you think I'd have a shot if I applied? :smile:

Your GCSEs shouldn't be a problem. If you got AAAA that would be great. AABB shouldn't be too bad. People have got in with AAB before. It depends which subjects were Bs (not biology for example :P ). As Imperial don't interview a lot is placed on your personal statement so that needs to be good and if you can show the extra reading and some relevant work experience you definitely should apply as you have a good chance of getting and offer.

If you have any further questions about Biology at Imperial feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Munrot07
Your GCSEs shouldn't be a problem. If you got AAAA that would be great. AABB shouldn't be too bad. People have got in with AAB before. It depends which subjects were Bs (not biology for example :P ). As Imperial don't interview a lot is placed on your personal statement so that needs to be good and if you can show the extra reading and some relevant work experience you definitely should apply as you have a good chance of getting and offer.

If you have any further questions about Biology at Imperial feel free to ask :smile:

Are you applying to/studying bio at imperial now?
Original post by Brownclown
Are you applying to/studying bio at imperial now?

At Imperial now :smile:
Reply 6

Thanks! :smile: Btw, do you take biology at Imperial? If so, what's it like? I attended the open day and I completely fell in love with the course! In terms of relevant work experience, what would be a good example of that? Atm, I'm just doing hospital-related experience, do you think that would be good enough? I'm also doing further volunteering somewhere else but that's not so relevant. As for grades, I think the B will most likely be in maths or physics. :smile:
At Imperial now :smile:

Omg I would be so grateful if you could answer a few things over Private message for me!
Omg I would be so grateful if you could answer a few things over Private message for me!

Sure :smile:
Thanks! :smile: Btw, do you take biology at Imperial? If so, what's it like? I attended the open day and I completely fell in love with the course! In terms of relevant work experience, what would be a good example of that? Atm, I'm just doing hospital-related experience, do you think that would be good enough? I'm also doing further volunteering somewhere else but that's not so relevant. As for grades, I think the B will most likely be in maths or physics. :smile:

In terms of work experience do at least one that isn't hospital based otherwise they may just go "well why didn't you apply for biomedical science/medicine" (especially as medics aren't the most liked people at Imperial :P ).

I take Biology at Imperial. I have just finished my first year. I absolutely love it. Could not think of anywhere better to study. The first year conviner is amazing and will always help you which is really nice. There is a great range of content and you get your moneys worth. Lots of universities basically spend the first year reteaching A level with maybe a few extra stuff. At Imperial from your first lectures you will be doing new stuff you've never done before to a really high level.

That being said...it is hard. You have to work to do well. Regardless of A level ability if you don't work you won't do well. It's a lot of effort but if you enjoy the subject you will enjoy it.
Imperial don't care about GCSE.
You need your best 3 subjects to be 85% UMS for a decent chance, AAB still can if you nail interview.
They "shortlist" the candidates. The best ones get interviewed first at late October , the success rate is high(85%), later batches the success rate becomes lower as less places available. So you want AAAA but above 90% UMS too. In my colleges most early interviews got in, and late interviews didn't.

IMO your interview is the biggest decider, as I saw some strong candidates choke and lose their places.

-Imperial offer holder
Original post by AndyChow
You need your best 3 subjects to be 85% UMS for a decent chance, AAB still can if you nail interview.
They "shortlist" the candidates. The best ones get interviewed first at late October , the success rate is high(85%), later batches the success rate becomes lower as less places available. So you want AAAA but above 90% UMS too. In my colleges most early interviews got in, and late interviews didn't.

IMO your interview is the biggest decider, as I saw some strong candidates choke and lose their places.

-Imperial offer holder

Is this for life sciences specifically? I asked both imperial and UCL and they told me they DONT interview at all for life sciences
Reply 12

-Imperial offer holder

For the course I want to apply to, I was told directly by the admissions team they didn't do interviews aha..?
For the course I want to apply to, I was told directly by the admissions team they didn't do interviews aha..?

They don't lol - that's what they told me too
Reply 14
In terms of work experience do at least one that isn't hospital based otherwise they may just go "well why didn't you apply for biomedical science/medicine" (especially as medics aren't the most liked people at Imperial :P ).

I take Biology at Imperial. I have just finished my first year. I absolutely love it. Could not think of anywhere better to study. The first year conviner is amazing and will always help you which is really nice. There is a great range of content and you get your moneys worth. Lots of universities basically spend the first year reteaching A level with maybe a few extra stuff. At Imperial from your first lectures you will be doing new stuff you've never done before to a really high level.

That being said...it is hard. You have to work to do well. Regardless of A level ability if you don't work you won't do well. It's a lot of effort but if you enjoy the subject you will enjoy it.

It sounds pretty epic from what you've told me! I hope you don't mind me asking but what kind of work experience did you do? I'm a bit clueless as to what I should do that isn't hospital-related but still biology-related? Also, I don't do much extra-curriculum activities apart from hobbies? Do you think this would be a problem? :smile: sorry for all the questions!

-Imperial offer holder

Imperial don't interview for Biology...nor do they see your UMS score. 100% or 80% all they see is an A (unless the specific marks are put in your reference or personal statement) .
Reply 16
They don't lol - that's what they told me too

Ahh, phew! I'm pretty relieved on that one. :wink:
Is this for life sciences specifically? I asked both imperial and UCL and they told me they DONT interview at all for life sciences

I see, I applied for chem with medicinal chem. I thought it's pretty similar to bio, Sorry about that.

It just means that your A-level grade need to be a lot higher than AAB
It sounds pretty epic from what you've told me! I hope you don't mind me asking but what kind of work experience did you do? I'm a bit clueless as to what I should do that isn't hospital-related but still biology-related? Also, I don't do much extra-curriculum activities apart from hobbies? Do you think this would be a problem? :smile: sorry for all the questions!

Don't be sorry, ask as much as you want :smile:

For work experience I did 2 weeks in a cat rescue shelter and 2 weeks with the East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (i.e. 2 weeks with domestic animals and 2 weeks with wild animals) and then linked this to looking at their behaviour, their ecology etc.

Something like that is quite good. It depends what area you want to go into. I'm going down the evolution route. If you like microbiology or biochemistry get some lab experience.

It shouldn't be awful that you don't do too much extra curricular stuff. If you just have one thing that should be enough (if you can link it to skills that would be useful)
Imperial don't interview for Biology...nor do they see your UMS score. 100% or 80% all they see is an A (unless the specific marks are put in your reference or personal statement) .

Your school probably will put it in reference, Mine did, and they put everyone's ranking inside as well....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending