The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hi :smile:

I am having a bit of trouble deciding on my last option for GCSE's so I was hoping I could get some advice from people who have or are taking their GCSE's at the moment.

The subjects we have to take are below and the options I am definitely taking are also below but in bold.
English.
Maths.
RS.
One language (Italian or French).
Triple Science.
History.

However, the final option is what I cannot decide on. I can't choose between...
Art - Which I have heard has LOADS of coursework.
Product design - Which I also have heard that it has the same amount of coursework only it's writing and not drawing.
Geography - If I take this it would mean that I would be taking all three humanities.
ICT - I have heard that it is very boring.

So, what would everyone recommend? And also I cannot decide because of the fact that I actually cannot choose between them, not because I have no other choice.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Choose Geography, art and product design are bs
Original post by Rebecca850

I am having a bit of trouble deciding on my last option for GCSE's so I was hoping I could get some advice from people who have or are taking their GCSE's at the moment.

The subjects we have to take are below and the options I am definitely taking are also below but in bold.
English.
Maths.
RS.
Triple Science.
History.

Product design - Which I also have heard that it has the same amount of coursework only it's writing and not drawing.
Geography - If I take this it would mean that I would be taking all three humanities.

So, what would everyone recommend? And also I cannot decide because of the fact that I actually cannot choose between them, not because I have no other choice.

I myself took Geography, History, Graphic design and Spanish alongside English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Triple Science, ICT, Further Maths and living texts.

Geography was great and I really enjoyed it so I'd definitely recommend that one. History I didn't like so much as it was a little tedious with more dates and names to remember than I initially thought. Also, the coursework was boring. Spanish I really enjoyed but that's irrelevant to your choices. ICT was sooooo boring but compulsory for us. Graphic design was brilliant fun. Yeah there was a fair bit of coursework but it wasn't overbearing. It was nice to have a hands on subject to break up the other academic ones for me.
ICT would be most useful there, but in saying that, they're GCSE's... It'll make no difference whatsoever...
Reply 4
Original post by Finb
Choose Geography, art and product design are bs

Why do u think they are bs? (Out of interest) x
Reply 5
Original post by All-rounder
ICT would be most useful there, but in saying that, they're GCSE's... It'll make no difference whatsoever...

Does it not affect what you want to take for A-Levels? X
Reply 6
Original post by emmajones12770
I myself took Geography, History, Graphic design and Spanish alongside English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Triple Science, ICT, Further Maths and living texts.

Geography was great and I really enjoyed it so I'd definitely recommend that one. History I didn't like so much as it was a little tedious with more dates and names to remember than I initially thought. Also, the coursework was boring. Spanish I really enjoyed but that's irrelevant to your choices. ICT was sooooo boring but compulsory for us. Graphic design was brilliant fun. Yeah there was a fair bit of coursework but it wasn't overbearing. It was nice to have a hands on subject to break up the other academic ones for me.

I think graphic design is a bit different that product design isn't it? Thank you though x
Reply 7

English.
Maths.
RS.
Triple Science.
History.

Product design is useless
Art is long and useless; worst mistake of my life; used up all of my 'revision time'
If you choose art, prepare to draw and paint whilst others revise
I heard geography is hard, but ict is a breeze
Does it not affect what you want to take for A-Levels? X

At the end of the day, you can take whatever you want at a-levels, but very few require you having done a certain GCSE as most are interchangeable.
E.g. Maths obviously requires a maths GCSE and English is the same, but these are required GCSE's anyway and you need them both at a minimum of C just to get into A-levels along with 5 other GCSE C or above.
Things like Law, History and other humanities are set up so that you can either have a required grade in that subject, or the same grade in RE or English etc. They really are interchangeable and they won't limit your options in the slightest, so go with something you enjoy or something you're good at.
Reply 9
Why do u think they are bs? (Out of interest) x

Idk from what I gather they're mostly coursework and people tend to mess
around
Take geography. I'm doing both history and geography and they fit together so well. It's a very interesting subject and relatively easy as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest