The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths and Further Maths & Alevel troubles (for oxbridge Physics)

If i do C1-C4 and do m1 and m2 along with fp1 and fp2 or fp3
Would this be counted as a further maths and maths qualifcation?
i want to study physics and so further maths would help and i was wondering if i can get a further maths and maths qualifcationw with these moudules?

Also, do you think applying with to oxford with physics maths further maths and maybe an easy 4th subejct like pysoclogy would be good or should i go and do chem or bio? would it be too much to handle?
Im preidicated at A* in maths and my sciences for gcse but i know alevel is way different

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NatoHeadshot
If i do C1-C4 and do m1 and m2 along with fp1 and fp2 or fp3
Would this be counted as a further maths and maths qualifcation?
i want to study physics and so further maths would help and i was wondering if i can get a further maths and maths qualifcationw with these moudules?

You need 12 units for full A Levels in Maths and Further Maths, so no.
If you want to do Physics I've heard that many recommend you do as many Mechanics modules as possible. Therefore, C1-4, M1-5, FP1-3 would be the perfect combination if you want it to prepare you for a physics degree well, but that does not mean that just doing M1-3 and S1-2 instead wouldn't prepare you enough to do the degree.

Many people would do Chem as a 4th A Level, but it's up to you after all. No Uni will care whether you do the 3 or 4, so you might as well just pick another you enjoy for your 4th subject :smile:
Original post by SH0405
You need 12 units for full A Levels in Maths and Further Maths, so no.

12 units are you sure?
Reply 4
12 units are you sure?

6 units for Maths. 6 units for Further Maths. Unless I've misunderstood.
Original post by SH0405
6 units for Maths. 6 units for Further Maths. Unless I've misunderstood.

so if i do c1-c4 m1 m2 id get the maths qualification
but do i have to add a further 6 more modules for a further maths? since c1-c4 doesnt count?
Reply 6
12 units are you sure?

Yes or do 6 for A-level Maths, and 3 for AS-level Further Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
so if i do c1-c4 m1 m2 id get the maths qualification
but do i have to add a further 6 more modules for a further maths? since c1-c4 doesnt count?

Yes. Another 6 for Further Maths. Say FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, S1, DE.
Original post by Jordan\
If you want to do Physics I've heard that many recommend you do as many Mechanics modules as possible. Therefore, C1-4, M1-5, FP1-3 would be the perfect combination if you want it to prepare you for a physics degree well, but that does not mean that just doing M1-3 and S1-2 instead wouldn't prepare you enough to do the degree.

Many people would do Chem as a 4th A Level, but it's up to you after all. No Uni will care whether you do the 3 or 4, so you might as well just pick another you enjoy for your 4th subject :smile:

my school doesnt really offer all of these modules thats a problem ive been having sadly :frown: i heard chem's a bit too difficult and id have a huge load alread with maths and physics but some tell me to have a strong backup subject
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont get to do any AS exams since the alevel reforms so i can only do alevels now
Original post by SH0405
Yes. Another 6 for Further Maths. Say FP1, FP2, FP3, D1, S1, DE.

I wish DE was on EDEXCEL or I would definitely be doing it, it seems like a very useful module!
Reply 11
i dont get to do any AS exams since the alevel reforms so i can only do alevels now

No, that's not the case. Maths hasn't been reformed yet, so you can still get an AS.
Original post by jneill
No, that's not the case. Maths hasn't been reformed yet, so you can still get an AS.

sadly my school wont let me do that
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for this i think i will be doing this
maybe do c1-c4 m1 m2 fp1 fp2 and s1
how does that sound for physics study?
thank you for this i think i will be doing this
maybe do c1-c4 m1 m2 fp1 fp2 and s1
how does that sound for physics study?

FP2 is a relatively hard unit, you'd probably do better with D1, S2 or M3.

I would be astonished if your school makes you do all the Maths units at the end of 2 years and would be surprised if AS Further Maths is not a possibility. I'd try clarifying this with your school.
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
I would be astonished if your school makes you do all the Maths units at the end of 2 years and would be surprised if AS Further Maths is not a possibility. I'd try clarifying this with your school.

Agreed, especially as this would put the OP (and the rest of his school) at a disadvantage to everyone else who are doing AS / A2 exams across 2 years.
Original post by jneill
Agreed, especially as this would put the OP (and the rest of his school) at a disadvantage to everyone else who are doing AS / A2 exams across 2 years.

What I'm considering is doing either fp1 and fp2 or m1 and m2 at school i can only pick either pure or mechanics for school
Suppose I decide to do mechanics at school
Then I would do fp1 and fp2 and s1 at privately
But right now I'm deciding if I should do fp1 and fp2 privately or m1 and m2 privately
What I'm considering is doing either fp1 and fp2 or m1 and m2 at school i can only pick either pure or mechanics for school
Suppose I decide to do mechanics at school
Then I would do fp1 and fp2 and s1 at privately
But right now I'm deciding if I should do fp1 and fp2 privately or m1 and m2 privately

I personally would recommend doing FP1-2 privately. That's what I'm doing at the moment (although I'm doing FP3, M2-3 and S2 as well alone) and what I found with M1 last year was it was more about doing loads of questions and getting experience with each way the questions can approach a question, whereas Further Pure is more about getting the methods right in my opinion which suits better for private tuition/ doing it alone :smile:
Original post by Jordan\
I personally would recommend doing FP1-2 privately. That's what I'm doing at the moment (although I'm doing FP3, M2-3 and S2 as well alone) and what I found with M1 last year was it was more about doing loads of questions and getting experience with each way the questions can approach a question, whereas Further Pure is more about getting the methods right in my opinion which suits better for private tuition/ doing it alone :smile:

thannk you your reasoning sounds solid so i might consider this
thannk you your reasoning sounds solid so i might consider this

what i can do is do this thing at my school where i would do mechanics one year (itll be fast) and the next year of alevels do pure as well
but i think this might not be good
so i might do a slow 2 year course of mechanics and core obviously maybe get some help on mehanics if i need
and also get help for fp1 fp2 and s1
and do them all at the end of two years
just tryna organise which ones i study privately at which year now /:
like could you help me what i do in each year first year in school would be c1 c2 and m1 i think and the next year c3 c4 and m2 so i cant change that
but fp1 fp2 and s1 i need to arrange

Quick Reply

Latest