The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Biology 2015/2016

Place where we can discuss the coursework, investigations, get help with topics and generally procrastinate and chat in.

Drop a message if you're taking it after the summer :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zain-A
Place where we can discuss the coursework, investigations, get help with topics and generally procrastinate and chat in.

Drop a message if you're taking it after the summer :smile:

First reply!
Reply 2
Yes currently I am taking it but not loving the course as much as higher tbhh!!
Original post by loz1xo
Yes currently I am taking it but not loving the course as much as higher tbhh!!

We haven't really started anything, but yeah the higher course was ok tbh, just wishing this one will be interesting
Hola guys! Yeah so far I'm not loving the course as much as higher either, but probably because all we've really been doing so far is experimental techniques and lab practices. I've realised we're back to school in two weeks or so and I still have no idea what I want to do for my investigation, I think I was meant to have done background research by now :/ Does anybody know what they're doing? Or have any general ideas?
Original post by It's_Ailie
Hola guys! Yeah so far I'm not loving the course as much as higher either, but probably because all we've really been doing so far is experimental techniques and lab practices. I've realised we're back to school in two weeks or so and I still have no idea what I want to do for my investigation, I think I was meant to have done background research by now :/ Does anybody know what they're doing? Or have any general ideas?

My idea is to use digestive enzymes on plants and extract the DNA and use electrophoresis- but I have no idea if I will be allowed to do that. If not I really have no idea what I will be doing for my investigation.

And in my school we are doing both Unit 1 and Unit 2 at the same time since we have two teachers- I am liking Unit 1 but not so much Unit 2- but Unit 2 is filled with the stuff that directed me to taking Higher Human last year.
Original post by UncertainPhoton
My idea is to use digestive enzymes on plants and extract the DNA and use electrophoresis- but I have no idea if I will be allowed to do that. If not I really have no idea what I will be doing for my investigation.

I suppose it will depend on your school's budget. I'm using the Gel electrophoresis method off of NCBE to look at plant Phylogeny and my teacher's cool with it. The only trouble is finding a Uni that might be willing to rent use of a PCR machine for a price within budget, Aberdeen Medical Institute has a qPCR facility but the £25/plate charge is outwith that. Would anyone have any recommendations?
Your lucky you have that to go on.
I have to go to college to do AH Bio, and so far we have had 3 periods of work since school went back. We need to do our investigations at our schools, in our own time. Most of us also did the old Higher and this is the new advanced higher.
I dont have a clue about what to do for my investigation.
I was thinking something along the lines of Contamination of raw meats (or herbs and spices) what dowe actually put in our food?Different kinds of water (distilled, salt, freshwater) onkeratin fibres found in hair.The effect of frequent washing or infrequent washing onkeratin fibres in hair. Any ideas, or other options.
Anyone here doing their Unit 1 Nabs after October break?
If so revision tips would be appreciated as there is little material published ;p
Reply 9
Anyone know of any investigations that could be linked to veterinary?
Original post by amymaxx
Anyone know of any investigations that could be linked to veterinary?

Lol you could try daphnia, I didn't do well in it though (mostly due to laziness rather than the topic tbf)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Pennyarcade
Lol you could try daphnia, I didn't do well in it though (mostly due to laziness rather than the topic tbf)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, yeah I messed up with counting the heart rate on that one, thanks though :smile:
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Anyone here doing their Unit 1 Nabs after October break?
If so revision tips would be appreciated as there is little material published ;p

Try scholar, it only has unit one material though, the cells and proteins stuff.
Original post by Zain-A
Try scholar, it only has unit one material though, the cells and proteins stuff.

Yea i'm currently using that as thats all there is published for revision material, also you need to apply that information and the best way advised by my teacher is PastPaper questions.
Yea i'm currently using that as thats all there is published for revision material, also you need to apply that information and the best way advised by my teacher is PastPaper questions.

Mate I honestly have no idea what I'm doing in this class lol, I really need to start doing something
Original post by Zain-A
Mate I honestly have no idea what I'm doing in this class lol, I really need to start doing something

Hahah, this is literally me rn tbh...I really dont enjoy biology this year, AH chemistry is so much better in comparison :/
Hahah, this is literally me rn tbh...I really dont enjoy biology this year, AH chemistry is so much better in comparison :/

Omg yeah, I love AH chem ahaha
Original post by Zain-A
Omg yeah, I love AH chem ahaha

Ikr? Lets hope i love it till the end though xD, but so far investigation and topic wise its flowing smoothly and i'm really enjoying it
Reply 18
How great would it be if I did my investigation on the number of worms in soil...
Original post by muchensmile
How great would it be if I did my investigation on the number of worms in soil...

this would be a reasonable investigation if you look at different soil types, moisture content, pH etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending