The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ccp_12
I've also been contacted about the DAS. Can I ask if the jobs are permanent and do you go in at the beginning of the pay scale?

Sorry to hijack thread looking for any advice. I failed the statistics fast stream centre but was told I could apply for the stats officer role, which covers the same core competencies. I failed due to non-existent sampling knowledge (not covered in my pure maths degree) so what chances could I have for stats officer? They do say I can still apply for fast stream if I get there
Original post by JHart1865
Hi TruckBear. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind?

1) Did you find that there wasn't the professional development opportunities as a DASer and that's why you reapplied to the Fast Stream?

2) What sort of things were discussed when you met your department before being offered a job?

Thanks.

1) I would say there has been a lot of professional development for me in my current position. They paid for me to become Prince2 Practitioner qualified in work time. They sent me on some amazing public speaking, legislation and policy development training. A friend of mine appointed in the same way is currently being funded through an amazing looking Health Policy Masters. Also, I have worked across the organisation, so I have had a range of experience in different departments.

However, there are two things you get in the Fast Stream that you can't get in combination elsewhere in the civil service: A real diversity of experience alongside quick promotions. I've worked across the organisation, but I've done essentially the same things - legislation, policy and project management. No people management, no finance/grants experience, little comms work, etc.

I've seen people outside of the fast stream get promoted, several times, quite quickly. However, they end up doing essentially the same role in a more high-powered way. That means they then hit a ceiling where they have to move laterally for quite a while, to get the breadth of experience to be promoted further.

I've seen people outside of the fast stream get a wide set of experiences. But it's very hard indeed to get promoted to a kind of role you haven't done before.

What I think I'm trying to say is DAS can offer a great experience for you, and give you experiences that make you much more likely to succeed. If you're ambitious, though, you may find after a couple of years that it's given you as much as it can.

2) We discussed the nature of the job, why I wanted to do it, what I knew about the organisation, etc. It wasn't exactly a forensic examination, though.
Original post by ccp_12
I've also been contacted about the DAS. Can I ask if the jobs are permanent and do you go in at the beginning of the pay scale?

In my experience the jobs are permanent, and you do go in at the lower end of the pay scale for the grade you enter at (EO).
Has anybody been offered a job through the DAS yet? They sounded quite desperate in their email but haven't heard anything since.
Reply 3284
Original post by WanChai
Has anybody been offered a job through the DAS yet? They sounded quite desperate in their email but haven't heard anything since.

I doubt anyone will hear before the 28th, since that's when they're allowing people to reply until. I can't imagine they will offer places before they know all of the candidates who are interested.
Hopefully its soon after that though!
Got a load of security clearance forms to fill out for DAS -- apparently departments will be in touch 'in due course'. I am cautiously interpreting this to mean they're probably offering me something. Exciting times.
Original post by TritonSails
Got a load of security clearance forms to fill out for DAS -- apparently departments will be in touch 'in due course'. I am cautiously interpreting this to mean they're probably offering me something. Exciting times.

Oooh exciting! I'm still waiting for ANYTHING (ANYTHING, PEOLPE!) from them. But that does sound very promising......good luck!
Original post by robboadam31
Oooh exciting! I'm still waiting for ANYTHING (ANYTHING, PEOLPE!) from them. But that does sound very promising......good luck!

It was addressed to me specifically, so I imagine they might be sending emails out individually over the course of the next few days. I hope you hear soon!
I'm in a horrible position where I have also been awarded a £10,000 bursary to do a Masters degree for 2015/16. Problem is I think I'd rather have the job but I need to accept the bursary by the 4th of August (next Tuesday).

Even though they used the words 'very likely you'll be made an offer' I can't help but worry I'll be the exception or they'll want me to go to somewhere silly that I can't do after I've turned down the bursary!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm in a horrible position where I have also been awarded a £10,000 bursary to do a Masters degree for 2015/16. Problem is I think I'd rather have the job but I need to accept the bursary by the 4th of August (next Tuesday).

Even though they used the words 'very likely you'll be made an offer' I can't help but worry I'll be the exception or they'll want me to go to somewhere silly that I can't do after I've turned down the bursary!

Maybe just take the bursary, see how this goes, and then cross the bridge when it comes. I'm sure you can always turn down the bursary at a later date (slight financial cost maybe, but only you can say whether it's worth it).

It'd be silly to reject the bursary now and then not get offered a position.
Reply 3290
People on reserve should get a response by Friday then hopefully if not successful we will know about DAP
Original post by robboadam31
Maybe just take the bursary, see how this goes, and then cross the bridge when it comes. I'm sure you can always turn down the bursary at a later date (slight financial cost maybe, but only you can say whether it's worth it).

It'd be silly to reject the bursary now and then not get offered a position.

This is probably the route I'll take, just don't like to mislead people, especially when someone else could have the bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone still waiting to hear what department they have been assigned for the Economist Fast Stream?
Reply 3293
Hello all,

Just wondered if anybody who had received the email about DAT had limited the areas they would take up a position?

Kinda worried I've limited myself, fingers crossed for everyone to hear back soon!
Reply 3294
Hey, are you talking about the Direct Appointment Scheme or the Digital and Technology? if you're talking about the DAS, I limited mine to London, and have yet to hear back, so all hope is not lost just yet. I was wondering in general if anyone has heard back about it yet?
Reply 3295
Original post by B2593
Hey, are you talking about the Direct Appointment Scheme or the Digital and Technology? if you're talking about the DAS, I limited mine to London, and have yet to hear back, so all hope is not lost just yet. I was wondering in general if anyone has heard back about it yet?

Hiya, Direct Appointment Scheme, sorry too many abbreviations!

Oh okay good to hear others have chosen specific areas too, good luck!
Original post by A3561
Hello all,

Just wondered if anybody who had received the email about DAT had limited the areas they would take up a position?

Kinda worried I've limited myself, fingers crossed for everyone to hear back soon!

Yes, I said I'd prefer London.

Do the MA and reapply for the FS...
Original post by Magnum Opus
Do the MA and reapply for the FS...

That's what I'd recommend too. Your chances of getting in are higher in your second application anyway and you'll have more experience etc.
Hey, I got the email about the Direct Appointment scheme a few weeks back too, go sent an an email on thursday asking me to fill out a bunch of forms and send my degree certificate - I'm hoping they wouldn't go to all this bother if they weren't planning on offering me something?!

I wrote on the form that I'd be available to go anywhere but I kinda don't want to go to London - I'm currently living in Glasgow and am a bit nervous about moving down!

Fingers crossed they get back to us all soon though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending