The Student Room Group

What is A Level Biology like?

I have finished my GCSE's and I am now waiting for results day. I might change my A level subject choices and I wanted to know what A level Biology is like. I find the subject really interesting and I wanted to know people's experience with the subject and how they found it.How did you find it? If I put in effort from day 1, would I get a good grade? I did my Core and additional exam when I was a year 10 and for my overall grade I got an A and B ( I got A and C in Biology (we had problems with science teachers and pretty much had to teach ourselves for our additional exams) ) How can you do well and are there any tips to do well? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I did OCR A-Level Biology. Hopefully I will be doing A2 Biology too. Lemme tell you about it.

Biology is a subject where knowledge is key. To be honest there is a lot of it. You have to learn a few processes inside out.
Also spelling and using correct keywords are very important when answering questions etc.

Biology isn't really the fun practical every day subject, whilst it could be, the content is quite extensive and I would think you would have quite a few topic tests.

Biology is a fun subject once you understand it and tips that I can say are:

Pre-read on the lesson BEFORE the lesson: This gives you more time practising exam questions, asking questions on things you're unsure on and it gives you time to build up stronger notes.

Whilst creating notes, put a few questions in the notes, so when you decide to revise - you can refresh your memory etc.

Don't get behind on Biology, if you have a day off where you're absent - it is paramount that you catch up because I have had some friends that didn't like playing catch-up even though I was there for support.

Overall Biology is a fun, interesting topic about living organisms on this planet, it encourages the use of accuracy when answering questions and it requires knowledge on detailed processes, it requires thorough understanding to get an A grade and doing it because you enjoy it or even find it interesting makes it a lot more easier.

Any more questions? Hope this answered your question.

:smile:
Original post by Shaistaaa
I have finished my GCSE's and I am now waiting for results day. I might change my A level subject choices and I wanted to know what A level Biology is like. I find the subject really interesting and I wanted to know people's experience with the subject and how they found it.How did you find it? If I put in effort from day 1, would I get a good grade? I did my Core and additional exam when I was a year 10 and for my overall grade I got an A and B ( I got A and C in Biology (we had problems with science teachers and pretty much had to teach ourselves for our additional exams) ) How can you do well and are there any tips to do well? Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I'm at university studying Biology (and do some A level tutoring) so here are my thoughts.

Biology is a hard A level. You need to put a lot of work into and it is a massive leap from GCSE. You do need to put effort in from day 1. Constantly revise it as there is a lot of content. You need to get the correct wording (it is very important) and it takes a while to get used to it. You also need to not just be able to regurgitate facts but actually apply them to harder, unseen scenarios.

Some of the practicals can be dull too. You have to do some very boring, rinse and repeat experiments and then do a very specific write up on them. Again, a tricky skill but once you've mastered it it gets a lot easier.

However, it is a very enjoyable subject if you like the content. The content isn't massively hard at AS there is just a lot of it. The new syllabus has about 10% maths as well (not hard maths but still...maths none the same). Basically the key is work hard. If you work hard, practice loads you should do well. There are some great topics in Biology and the best thing is is that you can see it all around you and it is just a really joy to learn (at least for me :P )

If you have any further question feel free to ask, either about the content or anything else biology related :smile: I have a youtube channel (MrBioTom1) if you want to have a look at the content.
Reply 3
Original post by Student07YT
Hi,

I did OCR A-Level Biology. Hopefully I will be doing A2 Biology too. Lemme tell you about it.

Biology is a subject where knowledge is key. To be honest there is a lot of it. You have to learn a few processes inside out.
Also spelling and using correct keywords are very important when answering questions etc.

Biology isn't really the fun practical every day subject, whilst it could be, the content is quite extensive and I would think you would have quite a few topic tests.

Biology is a fun subject once you understand it and tips that I can say are:

Pre-read on the lesson BEFORE the lesson: This gives you more time practising exam questions, asking questions on things you're unsure on and it gives you time to build up stronger notes.

Whilst creating notes, put a few questions in the notes, so when you decide to revise - you can refresh your memory etc.

Don't get behind on Biology, if you have a day off where you're absent - it is paramount that you catch up because I have had some friends that didn't like playing catch-up even though I was there for support.

Overall Biology is a fun, interesting topic about living organisms on this planet, it encourages the use of accuracy when answering questions and it requires knowledge on detailed processes, it requires thorough understanding to get an A grade and doing it because you enjoy it or even find it interesting makes it a lot more easier.

Any more questions? Hope this answered your question.

:smile:

Oooo informative! :smile: Biology seems like such an interesting subject and I am fascinated about how the body works and all of that sort of stuff. I'm just worried about doing it for my A levels because of how difficult some people find it, but I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's after all. I guess putting in hard work from the beginning would pay off right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Munrot07
Hey :smile: I'm at university studying Biology (and do some A level tutoring) so here are my thoughts.

Biology is a hard A level. You need to put a lot of work into and it is a massive leap from GCSE. You do need to put effort in from day 1. Constantly revise it as there is a lot of content. You need to get the correct wording (it is very important) and it takes a while to get used to it. You also need to not just be able to regurgitate facts but actually apply them to harder, unseen scenarios.

Some of the practicals can be dull too. You have to do some very boring, rinse and repeat experiments and then do a very specific write up on them. Again, a tricky skill but once you've mastered it it gets a lot easier.

However, it is a very enjoyable subject if you like the content. The content isn't massively hard at AS there is just a lot of it. The new syllabus has about 10% maths as well (not hard maths but still...maths none the same). Basically the key is work hard. If you work hard, practice loads you should do well. There are some great topics in Biology and the best thing is is that you can see it all around you and it is just a really joy to learn (at least for me :P )

If you have any further question feel free to ask, either about the content or anything else biology related :smile: I have a youtube channel (MrBioTom1) if you want to have a look at the content.

Very informative answer thank you very much :smile: and I guess putting in hard work from day 1 will pay off right? And I searched you up on YouTube and wow your videos seem soo useful! A great tool for those studying Biology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo informative! :smile: Biology seems like such an interesting subject and I am fascinated about how the body works and all of that sort of stuff. I'm just worried about doing it for my A levels because of how difficult some people find it, but I know that A levels are a big jump from GCSE's after all. I guess putting in hard work from the beginning would pay off right? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most definitely it would pay off.
To be honest, The jump from GCSE to A Level isn't that much of a big jump, you'll just be getting spoon fed less often.

Basically, if you get B in Biology GCSE (separate science or core + additional) then do it.

If you managed to get that B effortlessly in the exam and with some decent revision, go for it.

However,

If the exam was a guessing game and/or you left revision until the very last minute and you just managed to scrape a B, I would strongly advise against it
Very informative answer thank you very much :smile: and I guess putting in hard work from day 1 will pay off right? And I searched you up on YouTube and wow your videos seem soo useful! A great tool for those studying Biology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely work from day one. It makes it a whole lot easier when it comes to revision. Plus if you work hard you will enjoy it more :smile: There is so much to learn, if you learn it throughout the year rather than cramming, more will stick, you will be able to link topics together, be able to apply your knowledge. It really is the right thing to do.
from a person that's done both OCR and AQA just bare in mind
it's literally like learning a new language with the amount of content you have to learn ..
OCR are much more content based (harder content as well) whilst AQA is much more application of knowledge

the mark schemes for both biology boards are an absolute pisstake
although I did manage an A* :smile:)

ps: if you don't like plants/photosynthesis/geography/environmental studies then do human biology as these are paramount topics for both as and a2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SamuelSingleton
from a person that's done both OCR and AQA just bare in mind
it's literally like learning a new language with the amount of content you have to learn ..
OCR are much more content based (harder content as well) whilst AQA is much more application of knowledge

the mark schemes for both biology boards are an absolute pisstake
although I did manage an A* :smile:)

ps: if you don't like plants/photosynthesis/geography/environmental studies then do human biology as these are paramount topics for both as and a2

Oh wow :O my school does edexcel, wow I'm scared now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow :O my school does edexcel, wow I'm scared now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel is generally considered the easiest and the worst in terms of actually teaching you biology. It doesn't cover as much or go into as much detail and the exams are usually not quite as bad as OCR and AQA.
x

Let me see. If you are interest in the different sorts of Biology (ecology, evolution, physiology, genetics etc.) so, it is a good sign for yourself. If you have your doubts in being engaged in these different topics and lessons, so I would think about taking Biology as A level carefully. This subject is quite enormous in terms of learning contents and terms. In other words: this subject is very complex in lessons. That is to say A level Biology has very extensive key topics, plus a lot of assignments for interpretation (graphs, pictures and so on which have to be explained, analyzed and discussed). To be good at it you need a passion for this subject and the requirements. If that is the case, the revision is easier by far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending