The Student Room Group

does anyone have coping methods for bad depression/anxiety?

Hi everyone,
I'm currently suffering badly with depression and an anxiety disorder. I'm with CAMHS etc, but while I'm on the waiting list for CBT, there doesn't seem to be much I can do other than just "cope". This proves incredibly difficult :/ I also feel very lonely a lot of the time :frown: does anyone have any advice or ideas that could help me? I have some, as I have been dealing it for quite a while, but I desperately need more coping methods. Please help?

- Harri x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
For me, when in a depressed state - the best coping method I use is sleep. Close the doors, maybe keep the window ajar and have a pitch black room with maybe soothing music in the background. Or if you are more active, I find that exercising is just as good as it releases endorphines which eases depression. Lastly, distract or pamper yourself. Nothing is better than taking a nice hot bubble bath and relaxing. Maybe even light a few candles? aha

I know some people use cutting and throwing up to cope with depression but it is never the answer. Believe me I have tried. It may provide some sort of relief but that temporary relief results in permanent damage of scars - for which will be noticeable and throat damage - due to the concentrated acid from your stomach that is being thrown up with the food which can also cause your teeth to rot. (Bit grim sorry!) Always always always treat your body like a temple - even through this difficult period of your life.

Now with anxiety - I dunno if you know these already but my CAHMS therapist showed me 3 kind of techniques with coping with anxiety.

1. The 5,4,3,2,1 method - Use your senses. 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can taste (a bit tricky sometimes) as well as 1 thing you can smell. It gets you to focus on your surroundings and help you to become more laid back and calm. (helps in exams)

2. Imagine your dream location. Close your eyes and use the previous method as if you were there. Imagine things you would want to see, touch, smell, taste and hear.

3. The most simplest one is just to take deep breaths. inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth at least 10 times. It gets you to focus on your breathing and calm you down.

I was on that waiting list since May and haven't heard anything since. I hope you have more luck than I did.

Hope this helps! x
Reply 2
I distract myself by revising but at times where that's not possible, I just question the validity of my anxiety and thoughts. I've not tried it but maybe start writing poetry or short stories
Reply 3
Original post by early--sunsets
Hi everyone,
I'm currently suffering badly with depression and an anxiety disorder. I'm with CAMHS etc, but while I'm on the waiting list for CBT, there doesn't seem to be much I can do other than just "cope". This proves incredibly difficult :/ I also feel very lonely a lot of the time :frown: does anyone have any advice or ideas that could help me? I have some, as I have been dealing it for quite a while, but I desperately need more coping methods. Please help?

- Harri x

:jumphug: pm me/talk to me if you want. Talking to people will help. Also go on walks and stuff.
Hi everyone,

- Harri x

Hi,

If you haven't already heard about it, there's a website called MoodGym (Google it!) which is like online CBT you can do at your own pace. It's no substitute for doing it with a trained therapist/clinical psychologist, but it can be a good thing to do whilst you're waiting to start CBT.

I also just wanted to mention that there is a Mental Health Support Society that you can join, if you're not already a member. It might help you feel less lonely.

Good luck with finding good techniques :hugs:
Woww it's been a long time since checked in on this, but I have looked at your comments and really appreciate them, you have no idea. The past year has been difficult and ive desperately been trying to recover. Been on meds for a while now and they did help me, but I'm still finding it hard to let go of it all, it was an incredibly difficult time and i feel like people i know dont really understand :frown: if anyone's still up for PMing, I would love to!! Pls let me know, i love to talk to new people
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi,

If you haven't already heard about it, there's a website called MoodGym (Google it!) which is like online CBT you can do at your own pace. It's no substitute for doing it with a trained therapist/clinical psychologist, but it can be a good thing to do whilst you're waiting to start CBT.

I also just wanted to mention that there is a Mental Health Support Society that you can join, if you're not already a member. It might help you feel less lonely.

Good luck with finding good techniques :hugs:

I hadnt heard about this before and found it did help me, I also used getselfhelp.co.uk thanks so much!! :smile:
Original post by arfah
:jumphug: pm me/talk to me if you want. Talking to people will help. Also go on walks and stuff.

I know this is from ages ago, but if you still wanna talk I'd love to. I really shouldve taken up the offer at the time because isolating myself was a stupid thing to do. let me know :smile:
Original post by Bniamh17
For me, when in a depressed state - the best coping method I use is sleep. Close the doors, maybe keep the window ajar and have a pitch black room with maybe soothing music in the background. Or if you are more active, I find that exercising is just as good as it releases endorphines which eases depression. Lastly, distract or pamper yourself. Nothing is better than taking a nice hot bubble bath and relaxing. Maybe even light a few candles? aha

I know some people use cutting and throwing up to cope with depression but it is never the answer. Believe me I have tried. It may provide some sort of relief but that temporary relief results in permanent damage of scars - for which will be noticeable and throat damage - due to the concentrated acid from your stomach that is being thrown up with the food which can also cause your teeth to rot. (Bit grim sorry!) Always always always treat your body like a temple - even through this difficult period of your life.

Now with anxiety - I dunno if you know these already but my CAHMS therapist showed me 3 kind of techniques with coping with anxiety.

1. The 5,4,3,2,1 method - Use your senses. 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can taste (a bit tricky sometimes) as well as 1 thing you can smell. It gets you to focus on your surroundings and help you to become more laid back and calm. (helps in exams)

2. Imagine your dream location. Close your eyes and use the previous method as if you were there. Imagine things you would want to see, touch, smell, taste and hear.

3. The most simplest one is just to take deep breaths. inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth at least 10 times. It gets you to focus on your breathing and calm you down.

I was on that waiting list since May and haven't heard anything since. I hope you have more luck than I did.

Hope this helps! x

Thanks so much!! I tried a lot of these and some did work. I did get put through to CBT (after ages) but my doctor thinks it isnt right for me because im bad at talking about what im thinking and facing it etc, and this could make it worse for me. But hey ho, I'm recovering, thanks so much for your help and support!!b I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 9
Woww it's been a long time since checked in on this, but I have looked at your comments and really appreciate them, you have no idea. The past year has been difficult and ive desperately been trying to recover. Been on meds for a while now and they did help me, but I'm still finding it hard to let go of it all, it was an incredibly difficult time and i feel like people i know dont really understand :frown: if anyone's still up for PMing, I would love to!! Pls let me know, i love to talk to new people

Hey :smile: I feel like we are in a pretty similar situation, although for me my main problem is anxiety which I think has caused me to have mild depression as a side effect of feeling so down on life since my anxiety has taken over it (if that makes any sense). I've had a really difficult past year which was also my final year of university and have had to defer my exams till august as I couldn't face doing them in May. I also feel like you in that I don't think those closest to me really understand what I am going through, mental illness is the worst in that people can't see what we are going through on the inside. I don't want sympathy from people but I just wish they could understand just how much I am struggling. I have heard that meds are very helpful in a short-term way but I think if you are to try and get over this properly, you should look into joining a CBT course or seeing a therapist. I saw a therapist for a few weeks but I didn't really feel like she was helping me much at all so now I am looking to find another. Finding a therapist that suits you is really important but obviously I know it is time consuming and also expensive to keep switching about. My mom has recently started speaking to people who have suggested hypnotherapy specifically for my anxiety so I will let you know how that goes! In terms of general life things, people always say it is good to do some exercise and also just spend fifteen minutes a day meditating. I know though, how it is and here I am giving this advice but I am guilty of not following my own advice so I too really need to start going for walks and taking some time each day to just sit and try and NOT THINK. If you ever want to chat just give me a PM, I know it is tough and sometimes you can feel like you are alone feeling like this but you aren't x

Quick Reply

Latest