The Student Room Group

medicine ABB ?

Hey i need some advice, if anyone knows ...
Okay so at AS i got ABBC in Psychology, Biology, Maths and Chemistry

The reason I scored so lowly was due to the fact I had tonsillitis and then got sick from the penicillin. This was over my whole exam period.

So at A2 i resat the whole AS biology along with A2 biology, and the whole of AS chemistry along with A2 chemistry as well as A2 psychology. And decided that I would apply in my gap year instead of in 2014.

I achieved ABB - psychology, chemistry and biology - due to the fact that i just resat so many and so didn't excel.

Medicine is all I have ever wanted to do. Would they accept tonsillitis at AS as a mitigating circumstance ? If I have the doctors note as proof?

What do I do? Do I apply and say I'm going to retake ? Or will they just throw out my application because i got ABB.
Do I do an undergrad course and then apply to medicine with a 2:1.

My tutors haven't given me any advice! They are not helping, and I just have no idea what to do ??????
Original post by PensAndPaper

The reason I scored so lowly was due to the fact I had tonsillitis and then got sick from the penicillin. This was over my whole exam period.

So at A2 i resat the whole AS biology along with A2 biology, and the whole of AS chemistry along with A2 chemistry as well as A2 psychology. And decided that I would apply in my gap year instead of in 2014.

I achieved ABB - psychology, chemistry and biology - due to the fact that i just resat so many and so didn't excel.

Medicine is all I have ever wanted to do. Would they accept tonsillitis at AS as a mitigating circumstance ? If I have the doctors note as proof?

What do I do? Do I apply and say I'm going to retake ? Or will they just throw out my application because i got ABB.

My tutors haven't given me any advice! They are not helping, and I just have no idea what to do ??????

Sorry to hear your bad luck! Honestly, you are very unlikely to get in anywhere with ABB. my friend missed AAB by 1 UMS mark last year and they wouldn't let her in. I don't know about mitigating circumstances from the uni but I would expect you would need to speak to the actual exam board that marked your exams to see if they would put you up a grade for the illness. I would strongly suggest retaking if they won't put you up a grade because getting into postgraduate medicine is the most ridiculously hard thing ever. I did biomedicine so loads of my friends with their 1sts and 2:1s tried to get into postgrad medicine, I can tell you 1 person in my whole year got accepted, and that was for undergrad anyway. All the others took a year out and about half applied again, they've now got in, but ALL of them have got into the 5 year, none have managed to get a place on postgrad medicine, that's how competitive it is.
If you are applying for medicine this year I would firstly contact the admissions office directly by phone and tell them your situation and ask whether your mitigating circumstances are valid (They should definitely accept your circumstances since it was during exam period). If they accept your circumstances then you will need evidence (which you have already have). You could also take a gap and retake a few modules to bump up your grades if they do accept your circumstances. Good Luck!
Original post by Physflop
Sorry to hear your bad luck! Honestly, you are very unlikely to get in anywhere with ABB. my friend missed AAB by 1 UMS mark last year and they wouldn't let her in. I don't know about mitigating circumstances from the uni but I would expect you would need to speak to the actual exam board that marked your exams to see if they would put you up a grade for the illness. I would strongly suggest retaking if they won't put you up a grade because getting into postgraduate medicine is the most ridiculously hard thing ever. I did biomedicine so loads of my friends with their 1sts and 2:1s tried to get into postgrad medicine, I can tell you 1 person in my whole year got accepted, and that was for undergrad anyway. All the others took a year out and about half applied again, they've now got in, but ALL of them have got into the 5 year, none have managed to get a place on postgrad medicine, that's how competitive it is.

Oh okay thanks for taking the time to write that. So do you suggest that I retake, in order to apply to a good biomedicine course ?
Oh okay thanks for taking the time to write that. So do you suggest that I retake, in order to apply to a good biomedicine course ?

I would suggest retaking trying to get AAB and reapplying for medicine. If you do biomedicine, you will most likely end up spending 8 years at university doing biomedicine and then undergraduate medicine. If you're happy with that, then you may as well go and do biomedicine this year, as there's barely any difference between the courses at different unis :smile:
I would suggest retaking trying to get AAB and reapplying for medicine. If you do biomedicine, you will most likely end up spending 8 years at university doing biomedicine and then undergraduate medicine. If you're happy with that, then you may as well go and do biomedicine this year, as there's barely any difference between the courses at different unis :smile:

OP will not into medicine with AAB, AAA is the minimum requirement.

Unfortunately the health problems you had during your original AS exams are unlikely to be taken into account, as you have since retaken your AS and taken your A2 so it is no longer very relevant.

You could apply while retaking, but you would have to only apply to unis that accept 3 years to do retakes, see here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

or you could look at widening access programmes if you are eligible, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

If all else fails grad entry is still possible, but as it is very competitive it's best to try the other routes first.
Reply 7

8 years!?! isnt it 3? or 4 if its a masters
Original post by Zahid~

i think they mean in total :biggrin:
Reply 9
A friend of mine was able to apply for Medicine at Newcastle through the Partners scheme and was offered ABB. You could have a look at it? I think its only if you live in areas of poor educational achievement
I would definitely recommend you looking to study medicine abroad. And also reapplying next year too for UK medicine.

If you can financially afford to do it. It's definitely a realistic option with so many gmc accredited courses out there. It could possibly save you a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zahid~

8 in total if you do 3 years biomedicine and then the 5 year medicine course!
Reply 12
8 in total if you do 3 years biomedicine and then the 5 year medicine course!

Can you apply for student loans and such again if you go into a second degree(medicine) after biomed

Will you have to apply as a graduate (since graduate entry is extremely competitive?) or can you apply for the undergraduate instead
Original post by Zahid~
Can you apply for student loans and such again if you go into a second degree(medicine) after biomed

Will you have to apply as a graduate (since graduate entry is extremely competitive?) or can you apply for the undergraduate instead

I have a feeling you can get a maintenance loan but it's capped at about £2500 because it's a second degree, and yes you can apply for postgraduate but the reality is it is so competitive most people even with a degree, still only get offers for the undergraduate course
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Im in with ABBB....

Yes, but thats because you had already been interviewed and they decided to let you in even though you missed your offer/the normal grades. Applying with ABB already achieved to a school that requires AAA will result in automatic rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending