The Student Room Group

Free alternatives to Microsoft Office?

I've graduated so no longer get free student Microsoft Office, but I still need to use Word and save documents in .doc and .docx format. Which alternative programs will allow me to do this?

Thanks
Try "Open Office", kinda basic and odd looking, but workable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Open office is defiantly my alternative as well as a lot of people I know.
Reply 3
Open Office would work but it's really annoying in my opinion. Could you use Google Drive?
Reply 4
Original post by Celebi899
Try "Open Office", kinda basic and odd looking, but workable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe in my opinion Open Office has far more functions and microsoft office. However I havnt used the microsoft option in many years.

I will agree the UI is a bit janky though. Definetly shows that it was designed in the early 00s.
i'm using wpc office, a chinese one, very similar to microsoft, but free for personal use
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure Open Office was bloatware, but i've never used it. So don't flame me for that. I personally have used Libre Office on my Linux machine though and that worked for me fine when i was at college.
Original post by yabbayabba
I've graduated so no longer get free student Microsoft Office, but I still need to use Word and save documents in .doc and .docx format. Which alternative programs will allow me to do this?

Thanks

Libreoffice.
OpenOffice/LibreOffice (though it annoys the heck out of me.)

AbiWord? (Is that exclusive to linux though? I don't know.)
Reply 9
LibreOffice is the best out of the lot of them once you get used to it, and know how to use it to its full potential.
None. Sorry.

Bill
If you want, you can stick a Linux (like eg: Puppy Linux) onto a memory stick along with LibreOffice and you can access your Windows drives and do your word processing,spreadsheets etc in microsoft format. All you need to do is change the BIOS to boot from the memory stick first so that when you start your computer with the mem stick plugged in, it will boot from there.

I am sure it is something you or your computer-savvy friend can do easily.
Microsoft office online

Google docs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending