The Student Room Group

Student's perspective on DMU's CEM Faculty

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my experience as a second year cyber security student in the Computing Engineering and Media (CEM) faculty at DMU. I have been really enjoying my course so far and wanted to highlight some of the best things about it.

Firstly, the Education 2030 approach has been fantastic. We have block teaching, where we focus on one subject at a time. This has provided consistency in the content and has allowed us to receive a lot of feedback from our tutors. It has also made exams less stressful, which is a huge plus.

Another great aspect of the course is the interactive lessons. We have the opportunity to ask a lot of questions and all the lectures are recorded, so we can revisit them later. The practical materials are also available online, which makes studying a lot more convenient.

One thing I really appreciate about the CEM faculty is extra-curricular activities. We have placements fairs where we get to network with potential employers, competitions to showcase our skills, and various networking opportunities. As a first year student, I even won a prize for being the best student, which was a great incentive.

Having a personal tutor has been a valuable support system for me. They are always available to discuss any issues I may have and provide guidance throughout my academic journey.

The facilities here are incredible. We have a centralised printing system, which means we can print using any printer in the university. The library is huge and modern, and we even have extra classes and workshops held there. Additionally, we have access to online courses on platforms like LinkedIn Learning. Also we have access to a lot of software like Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat etc. There are also specific software programs available, such as CREO for engineering students.

Lastly, the teachers at CEM are amazing. They are always open to feedback and encourage interaction with students. In fact, last year we were able to collectively change the course structure and rearrange the modules based on our suggestions, making it more logical.

Overall, studying cyber security at the CEM faculty has been an incredible experience for me. The support, facilities, and opportunities provided have truly enhanced my learning journey.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you're interested!

Best regards,

Ilya:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending