The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Btw, does anyone know how to cancel their student finance applicantion? Do I have to ring them up to cancel the loan or is there a way that I can do it myself online?
Original post by X_s
The same thing happened to me!

The minute I got my unconditional medicine offer I emailed my head of year and chemistry teacher straight away and told them where to shove it

This gives me insane amounts of motivation thank you x x x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by X_s
The same thing happened to me!

The minute I got my unconditional medicine offer I emailed my head of year and chemistry teacher straight away and told them where to shove it

Slight coincidence that it was my Chemistry teacher too

I'm waiting till the school term starts to email him again :colonhash:
idk I'm just worried at how I got BBB, I reckon you both must had AAB or ABB at least??

I think I'm just reapplying for the sake of it, I want to retake my alevels tbh just to see if I can actually cope with the science involved in medicine :// then If I have good grades I think I'll apply abroad...
Original post by nkb01
I feel so much better knowing there are others like me. Yes we can!

My parents and school put me down so much :frown:

Same here OMG, the look on my dad's face when I got my results is probably what hurt me most...

Original post by ToeHold
I asked one of my old teachers for a reference, he said 'Medicine is not for you, think of something else.'

Still have it saved in my e-mail.... I got an offer.

Honestly just reading things like this makes me so happy, thank you 😭💞

Original post by yasaminO_o
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I have never been so scared in my life. Please check this out and give me an honest opinion on my chances for 2016 entry because I am killing myself over this.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58846627&highlight=medicine

Original post by Sp22
Yes ! Some days I feel so optimistic and other days so upset. But yes we can do this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome to the Resit Crew guy guys, let's kick some ass together.

Original post by Saywhatyoumean
idk I'm just worried at how I got BBB, I reckon you both must had AAB or ABB at least??

I think I'm just reapplying for the sake of it, I want to retake my alevels tbh just to see if I can actually cope with the science involved in medicine :// then If I have good grades I think I'll apply abroad...

Tbh BBB isn't bad at all, I don't think that means you can't cope with the academics in Medicine at all... You can still apply to quite a few unis, so I don't think they think you'll be disadvantaged either. Apply first and see what happens. Don't give up too early, ok!

Hi,
So I had three offers for medicine, was ready to go to the uni of my dreams, exams were going okay and then out of the blue I managed to smack my head on a wall and concuss myself before an exam and ended up with A*ABB in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Latin respectively. I needed to achieve AAA so I was rejected. After I hit my head I missed my Latin exam, and I had another two exams (chemistry unit 2 and biology unit 2) before I could get a chance to make up for the exam I missed. I pushed myself to revise for my three remaining exams (I was lying on the bathroom floor with my textbooks and vocab resting against the bathtub, really quite sick) so by the time it came around to the second exam, I was even more ill. I would have explained to OCR that I wasn't fit to sit the second Latin exam but if I didn't sit it, they wouldn't have given me an A2 grade in Latin, so I had no choice but to sit it, especially because I'd panicked in Core 4 maths and knew I was going to get a B in maths, so I needed at least an A in this exam so I had to at least try, right? In the end I ended up with a C in that second exam which dragged my AS grade in Latin down from an A to an average of a B for the overall A Level. I was predicted an A overall, was working consistently at an A/A* all year and I was aiming for an A* in Latin.
So all things considered, how likely is it that my application for mitigating circumstances will be taken seriously? I'm reapplying for 2016 entry to A100 medicine and preparing for the UKCAT, BMAT, etc again. Apologies for the poor English and lack of structure in this post, but I'm desperate and scared that all my work this year will have gone to waste because of a moment of clumsiness.
Thanks for your time, and please be honest!

Edit: Also, how do I put all this into an eloquent formal letter applying for consideration for mitigating circumstances that doesn't make me sound as desperate/crazy as I do this post?

Is your concussion formally documented? Did you make sure you went to the GP or whatever after? Because unless you've done that, it's unlikely that they'll accept your circumstances - they'll want proof. You'll just have to apply to unis which accept retakes without mitigation otherwise. Email the unis, and especially your firm and insurance and ask if you can reapply, too. Honestly, if you had 3 offers, you have a great chance imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Same here OMG, the look on my dad's face when I got my results is probably what hurt me most...

Honestly just reading things like this makes me so happy, thank you 😭💞

Tbh BBB isn't bad at all, I don't think that means you can't cope with the academics in Medicine at all... You can still apply to quite a few unis, so I don't think they think you'll be disadvantaged either. Apply first and see what happens. Don't give up too early, ok!

Same I hate disappointing people and when my parents have done everything to help me I just feel so guilty knowing I had the chance but messed it up :frown:

Idk I hope so, but I'm scared you know? I don't want to go through all of this to get a place and then fail first year biochemistry or something :frown: but idk I was close ish so maybe it'll be okay??

Let's all aim for A*s guys!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same I hate disappointing people and when my parents have done everything to help me I just feel so guilty knowing I had the chance but messed it up :frown:

Idk I hope so, but I'm scared you know? I don't want to go through all of this to get a place and then fail first year biochemistry or something :frown: but idk I was close ish so maybe it'll be okay??

Let's all aim for A*s guys!!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine, A levels are so different from being in uni as far as I know, I don't think you'll fail first year. Even if so, failing first year doesn't mean you're out of med altogether! Positives, look at the positives! You're lucky to have parents that supportive, mine gave me the "wow you utter disappointment" look...

Aim for A*s! How many modules are you guys thinking of resitting?
I have a letter for the first instance when I hit my head, but I didn't go to the doctor's after the second Latin exam because I'd already sat it so I didn't think it'd make a difference, but now I'm worried that I should have gone after all :/
I have a letter for the first instance when I hit my head, but I didn't go to the doctor's after the second Latin exam because I'd already sat it so I didn't think it'd make a difference, but now I'm worried that I should have gone after all :/

Probably should have gone. That sounds OK for mitigation though! check the list of unis which accept mitigating circumstances and email them your situation. They'd let you know if that is sufficient. :]
Probably should have gone. That sounds OK for mitigation though! check the list of unis which accept mitigating circumstances and email them your situation. They'd let you know if that is sufficient. :]

Really? I hope so, I've wanted this for too long! Thank you :smile:
Hey I think you have a great shot! Especially if you can write about all your experiences in your ps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Really? I hope so, I've wanted this for too long! Thank you :smile:

Same D: we can do this though! Guys can we make a whatsapp group pls
It's fine, A levels are so different from being in uni as far as I know, I don't think you'll fail first year. Even if so, failing first year doesn't mean you're out of med altogether! Positives, look at the positives! You're lucky to have parents that supportive, mine gave me the "wow you utter disappointment" look...

Aim for A*s! How many modules are you guys thinking of resitting?

True aha oh well we'll see

Yes positives!! However many there are :P no I have the intense disappointing looks too dw:wink:

Well C1 and C2 and maybe C3 lol

Both bio and both Chem.... Is that a lot? Oh well I want the best chance of getting at least 2 A*s and an A aha you??

Also yes to the whatsapp group chat!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
True aha oh well we'll see

Yes positives!! However many there are :P no I have the intense disappointing looks too dw:wink:

Well C1 and C2 and maybe C3 lol

Both bio and both Chem.... Is that a lot? Oh well I want the best chance of getting at least 2 A*s and an A aha you??

Also yes to the whatsapp group chat!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Girl please, I got the "Should have sent this girl back to Nigeria years back" look

See when I retook C1 and C2 this year I didn't do any better, I'm not sure if there's any point in doing them again. Maybe I'll just do C3 and 4? Not gonna get an A* in maths, but I can dream. Then probably F214 and F325. But I kinda felt like picking up physics, lol not happening XD... So one bio, one chem, two maths, then maybe a different applied module for just in case? (In S2 I literally got 80 on the dot)

Guys whatsapp me your numbers x
Hi all, I wasn't accepted into medicine when I applied first time last year. But got a place for medical science despite I flopped at my A levels, with a D in chem, a C in bio and an A* in French. My original plan was to ace at my A levels, defer the medical science entry and apply again for medicine. With those grades, I want to resit chemistry and apply for 2016. I honestly don't have extenuating circumstances to excuse my poor results, I was just a bit stupid and reckless. But I really believe I could do much better than a D in chem. Can I still have a shot at Medicine?
Reply 55
Original post by Black Flame
Hi all, I wasn't accepted into medicine when I applied first time last year. But got a place for medical science despite I flopped at my A levels, with a D in chem, a C in bio and an A* in French. My original plan was to ace at my A levels, defer the medical science entry and apply again for medicine. With those grades, I want to resit chemistry and apply for 2016. I honestly don't have extenuating circumstances to excuse my poor results, I was just a bit stupid and reckless. But I really believe I could do much better than a D in chem. Can I still have a shot at Medicine?

Apply abroad?
Has anyone done their UKCAT yet?
I would like to but I barely did 2 yrs in the UK and applying abroad will mean moving again. I met with my family again after 12 yrs apart, I don't think I could manage.
Reply 58
Original post by Black Flame
I would like to but I barely did 2 yrs in the UK and applying abroad will mean moving again. I met with my family again after 12 yrs apart, I don't think I could manage.

Look at foundation years for medicine then
Original post by rkhan34
Look at foundation years for medicine then

I will look more in that direction. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending