The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wciselko
Wow your score is really good! well done!
I might email them and see what they say in that case :smile:
Would you know what king's cut off score could be? I'm still debating whether it is not too competative for me.

Thanks! Yours is great too. If you email them can you share what they say on here?
Kings "average competitive score" was 720 last year, someone posted it earlier on. I can't imagine scores improving hugely but they release the deciles/average on the 13th October, so two days before you have to send your application off. Then compare to last year and unless the average has gone up by 50 points or something ridiculous you should be fine for kings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am debating between Barts, Newcastle, Kings, Warwick and Southampton but I am scared my VR score will make this a rejection :frown: it would be such a shame cos I am so happy with my overall score... any advice on this? Is Warwick a no for me?
I would really appreciate if you could help. :smile:

Great score! I think it will be good enough for any of your choices overall, but there's always the risk that you're below Warwick's VR cutoff. Newcastle and Kings are a must with that score, you're practically guaranteed interviews.
What is the average of people here? I am 24 and starting to feel im getting to old to do medicine. Iv heard a lot people go in during their 30's though.
Original post by JDarlo91
What is the average of people here? I am 24 and starting to feel im getting to old to do medicine. Iv heard a lot people go in during their 30's though.

Not too old at all! I'm 20 but my dad is an EM doctor and apparently he has juniors 30+ quite often in his department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just sat my UKCAT and goit 732.5 average which I am super happy about but I got only 580 in the VR section
VR 580
QA 830
AR 860
DA 660
Band 1

I am debating between Barts, Newcastle, Kings, Warwick and Southampton but I am scared my VR score will make this a rejection :frown: it would be such a shame cos I am so happy with my overall score... any advice on this? Is Warwick a no for me?
I would really appreciate if you could help. :smile:

Oh, and remember Southampton have started doing interviews, and they're just a rank and interview system like Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Great score! I think it will be good enough for any of your choices overall, but there's always the risk that you're below Warwick's VR cutoff. Newcastle and Kings are a must with that score, you're practically guaranteed interviews.

Wow that makes me feel damn good! Thank you! Depending on what Warwick says I will decide :smile:
Sorry I am not sure I understand what you mean, could you explain a bit more?
(my brain is tired after the UKCAT :P )

Soton used to give out offers on PS+UKCAT, no interview. Now they rank everyone by total score, take the top x% and they go to an assessment centre down at soton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got someone in my year this year starting with me and they are 35. You are never to old to do something you want to do!
Lmaoo!!!
Was reading some personal statements & a grad claims to have received 7 offers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
From what I've read on here, Warwick ranked by VR score last year. Not sure if it'll be the same this year. Newcastle and Soton are just total score, Kings might check individual sections, and Barts has a 50:50 weighting between UKCAT and degrees obtained.
I'm gutted cause VR was my best section but I don't fulfil Warwick's WE requirements (medicine is quite a new thing for me). :frown:
747.5 avg btw, (VR 820, QR 770, AR 680, DA 720)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have until the assessment centre (well technically until your application but I believe that they ask for evidence later on)
Reply 1750
What was Southampton's cut off last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got 3000 written down but don't know where I got that from..
Original post by tw781

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed them yesterday, and they said "We do not have a UKCAT cut-off score and we are unable to give you details of figures in order to achieve an interview as the test changes each year and the scores fluctuate and it can therefore be unhelpful. However as previously stated, we would advise for Graduates we would say that a UKCAT score of 2800 or above would be favourable."

I'm 25! I say until your 35 you're fine
Original post by Richardjamesford
I'm 25! I say until your 35 you're fine

If I get in this year I'll be 23 when I start. My friend at Nottingham said some of the Gems on her course are 30 so you're fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am applying and will be just 30 if I start September 2016 :smile: If I start as a house officer when i am 34, I will get 35 years as a doctor which is great. the toughest thing in my head is going from a good salary to a student loan but I can live with that. Don't let your age put you off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebuwa
You have until the assessment centre (well technically until your application but I believe that they ask for evidence later on)

Basically going to have 4 months (just) of experience of being a trolley dolly on wards if the interviews are in January, plus a bit of work doing public health outreach with an HIV charity - think that'll be ok? They seem v specific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
Basically going to have 4 months (just) of experience of being a trolley dolly on wards if the interviews are in January, plus a bit of work doing public health outreach with an HIV charity - think that'll be ok? They seem v specific.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quality is more important than quantity of WE and how you are able to reflect on it.
I remember back in sixth form ,ALL med applicants had care home experience .Is this mandatory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To those of who are applying for Leicesters 5 year course, I finally got to see their brand new medical building (still in construction), and it looks lovely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending