The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Quick question: I currently work 3.5 days a week and have 2 children and want to apply for Sep 2016 Salaried primary school Direct place. I am about to start running a Spanish after school club at my daughter's infants school and was helping out every other Monday morning in her class last year. I will ask if I can do the same again but is that enough initially as am going to struggle getting time off work before Christmas to do longer? Ideally I want to apply by Christmas so wasn't sure if this would be a problem? Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
Original post by Lambert87
Nice one.... Do you work at the moment? I do and will find it tough but it needs to be done

Nah, I'm free all summer. Writing parts of my masters thesis is the only think I need to do.
Original post by sunflowerprint
Finally, I've found another PhDer wanting to go into Primary teaching! I'm in a similar position to you, although I will be applying for 2017 entry as I finish later than you. I'm looking to do the PGCE/PGDE route, but if I were you I would apply to both School's Direct and the local training alliance and see what comes of it!

I'm booked into going to an information evening for a local course too and starting classroom experience soon so I think you're 1 year ahead of me on everything!

Out of interest, do you think you're going to use your Dr title or stick with Miss/Mrs/Ms/Mr when you're teaching? I thought it might be confusing to have a Dr title for the students but I don't know any other PhD people going into primary teaching to ask!

How did you find taking time off your PhD to get classroom experience and get all your relevant experience?

I think I will probably use Miss/Mrs (might be married by then) for my school use but definitely going to use Dr for personal use! Not done all this hard work to not use it. A lot of people I talk to are surprised I am going for primary rather than secondary, especially as I could do Maths/Physics with my degree. I did the Student Associates Scheme in my final year of undergrad and was in the Maths department of a secondary school. I hated the experience to be honest!

I took a week of holiday from my PhD to get the classroom experience last year. My SEN experience was from a part time job I had during college & undergrad. I do Brownies in the evening once a week, so that doesn't impact my PhD.

I am hoping to get a job as a teaching assistant from January to summer which will give me the rest of the classroom experience I need.
Reply 103
Hey,

I'm going to be applying for a PGCE in secondary English in October.

I have started my personal statement and have done work experience.
Do you have any info regarding funding for a PGCE? Do Student Finance fund tuition fees for PGCE?
Reply 104
Original post by Lambert87
Have faith... if you think you will succeed you most likely will :smile: good luck!

Do you have any info whether Student Finance fund PGCEs?? :smile:
Original post by Embob93
Hey,

I'm going to be applying for a PGCE in secondary English in October.

I have started my personal statement and have done work experience.
Do you have any info regarding funding for a PGCE? Do Student Finance fund tuition fees for PGCE?

Yes they do. The Get Into Teaching website also says that the bursaries for 2016/2017 should be announced soon so check that too to see if you qualify for any extra.

-----

I took the practice skills tests online and I passed the literacy test comfortably and failed the numeracy test by 1 mark so hopefully with a bit of revision I'll be okay.

I also forgot that after the mental arithmetic part, you can start using the calculator. I remember a few questions in though.
Original post by Embob93
Do you have any info whether Student Finance fund PGCEs?? :smile:

They do yes

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
I've been in a similar predicament, in that I would like to teach history or geography, but I did my degree and MA in art (with art history).

Although I had good grades at A level for both geography and history, I've been told that there is no point in trying to get onto a course in these subjects as those with the relevant degrees will get on over me- which makes sense.

That being said- I spoke to schools direct course leader regarding on that started this September, and he said I could do art and some history classes. It will give a good all round experience and make me more employable.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by hutton2
Im thinking of applying for a PGCE for 2016. Im currently in my final year of my law degree.
Ideally I would like to teach history but because my degree isn't in history i'm finding that universities are not willing to accept me. Ive heard that geography is now a shortage subject but i cant find a subject enhancement course which would allow me to teach geography either, all seem to be maths or sciences.

Has anyone any advice which could help me overcome this? Or could anyone recommend which subject I would be able to teach?

I am eligible to teach primary but it was secondary I really wanted to teach

Thanks

Original post by hutton2
Im thinking of applying for a PGCE for 2016. Im currently in my final year of my law degree.
Ideally I would like to teach history but because my degree isn't in history i'm finding that universities are not willing to accept me. Ive heard that geography is now a shortage subject but i cant find a subject enhancement course which would allow me to teach geography either, all seem to be maths or sciences.

Has anyone any advice which could help me overcome this? Or could anyone recommend which subject I would be able to teach?

Thanks
I've been in a similar predicament, in that I would like to teach history or geography, but I did my degree and MA in art (with art history).

Although I had good grades at A level for both geography and history, I've been told that there is no point in trying to get onto a course in these subjects as those with the relevant degrees will get on over me- which makes sense.

That being said- I spoke to schools direct course leader regarding on that started this September, and he said I could do art and some history classes. It will give a good all round experience and make me more employable.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by hutton2

Thanks

Original post by hutton2

Thanks
Had a phone call from a primary school today. They want to do a dBs check for me, which is cool, popping in Monday to give all my details etc :smile: finally getting somewhere!!

I kind of wish I wasnt going on holiday in america for 3 weeks in October now!!! But hopefully I can get all this experience in asap. Might try get a week of work at end of November too for a week of getting in experience.
Reply 110
Original post by Aemiliana
Yes they do. The Get Into Teaching website also says that the bursaries for 2016/2017 should be announced soon so check that too to see if you qualify for any extra.

-----

I took the practice skills tests online and I passed the literacy test comfortably and failed the numeracy test by 1 mark so hopefully with a bit of revision I'll be okay.

I also forgot that after the mental arithmetic part, you can start using the calculator. I remember a few questions in though.

That's brill! I was worrying that I was going to have to find £9,000 for my PGCE from somewhere 😁 I was unsure because on the Student Finance website it says that you may not be eligible if you have already used Student Finance for higher education before. I'm really nervous about the skills tests, I need to get revising!
I'm applying for Secondary History this year, hoping it still has a bursary.

I have a good degree (history) and a masters (classics and ancient history). My experience has been spread out over a few months of 2 days a week in my former high school, I'm hoping I can get some time at my former sixth form (high school only goes up to 16) and some time at a local special school. I'm self employed, so fitting in the experience is a bit of a challenge.

My main worry is that I don't have A-level history. However I marked A-level history papers for OCR this year, so I'm hoping that experience will make up for it.

Currently panicking about not getting in at any of my first three choices and the maths tests. Practising maths like crazy, as while I'm fairly decent at it, I'm worried about freezing up on the day.
Original post by Embob93
That's brill! I was worrying that I was going to have to find £9,000 for my PGCE from somewhere 😁 I was unsure because on the Student Finance website it says that you may not be eligible if you have already used Student Finance for higher education before. I'm really nervous about the skills tests, I need to get revising!

I'm pretty sure SF will provide a maximum of four years finance support for education in universities at undergraduate level. And as this isn't a masters, it counts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Original post by jimbles
I'm pretty sure SF will provide a maximum of four years finance support for education in universities at undergraduate level. And as this isn't a masters, it counts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though I will be a post graduate? Does this count?
Original post by Embob93

Won't we all be pretty much post grads applying for PGCE? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Embob93

Teacher training is the only post graduate they fund so it's addition to the four years they provide for as an undergrad :-)

Original post by Embob93

Oh god.. I was revising tonight for these stupid tests!!!! The mental maths one is really hard! Forgot how to do most of it

I'm supposed to be starting 6 days at a local school on Monday but the person I was arranging it with hasn't gotten back to me since last term to confirm things or give me a timetable or anything.

I'm really worried that it's been forgotten and that I'm not going to be able to do it.

I sent an email on Tuesday and they haven't replied.

The next 2 weeks are the only weeks I have enough free time to do this.
Reply 118
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm supposed to be starting 6 days at a local school on Monday but the person I was arranging it with hasn't gotten back to me since last term to confirm things or give me a timetable or anything.

I'm really worried that it's been forgotten and that I'm not going to be able to do it.

I sent an email on Tuesday and they haven't replied.

The next 2 weeks are the only weeks I have enough free time to do this.

Don't worry! I was in the same position as you, you just need to keep ringing and reminding them
Original post by Embob93
Don't worry! I was in the same position as you, you just need to keep ringing and reminding them

The issue is that I think the person who was handling it is no longer in charge of that sort of thing.

I'm going to email her again at 8:30am and then call the school office a few hours later if she hasn't replied.

I don't like being pushy but I need this experience or my application will be weaker than everyone else's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending