The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

UoE Postgrads. Private accomodation or the university's? Help me please

Hello :smile:

I have been accepted into West Mains Road postgrad accommodation. It is about 410 a week all inclusive for a 10 person house with 2 bathrooms. Seems okay but I have to rent from September to September even though I probably wont be here after June. It is a fair trot from the main campus but I could take a bus. I might be able to switch if I wait 6 weeks and apply (and pay a £50 transfer fee).

I would like to know if anyone would recommend staying in the university accommodation or finding private? I am an international student and because my currency is at all time low (R20 for £1) I am favouring low cost over comfort.

Please share your wisdom with me.
Original post by owlivia
Hello :smile:

I have been accepted into West Mains Road postgrad accommodation. It is about 410 a week all inclusive for a 10 person house with 2 bathrooms. Seems okay but I have to rent from September to September even though I probably wont be here after June. It is a fair trot from the main campus but I could take a bus. I might be able to switch if I wait 6 weeks and apply (and pay a £50 transfer fee).

I would like to know if anyone would recommend staying in the university accommodation or finding private? I am an international student and because my currency is at all time low (R20 for £1) I am favouring low cost over comfort.

Please share your wisdom with me.

I think your numbers are out - £97 / week!

You might well find somewhere for a bit less than West Mains Rd in the private sector, but once you include bills etc., not much less. You also have to factor in convenience - the university is sorting it out for you. It shouldn't take more than 30-35 minutes to walk to Central Area (West Mains Road is based at King's Buildings) - but you should be able to make use of the free KB shuttle bus.

A final brief comment - if you're doing a master's then you'll be expected to be in Edinburgh until you submit a dissertation (which will be after June). You may be on a different programme where this is not applicable, but it's worth pointing out.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I think your numbers are out - £97 / week!

You might well find somewhere for a bit less than West Mains Rd in the private sector, but once you include bills etc., not much less. You also have to factor in convenience - the university is sorting it out for you. It shouldn't take more than 30-35 minutes to walk to Central Area (West Mains Road is based at King's Buildings) - but you should be able to make use of the free KB shuttle bus.

A final brief comment - if you're doing a master's then you'll be expected to be in Edinburgh until you submit a dissertation (which will be after June). You may be on a different programme where this is not applicable, but it's worth pointing out.

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know about the shuttle bus. Do you know if all postgrad accommodation includes the summer ?
Original post by owlivia
Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know about the shuttle bus. Do you know if all postgrad accommodation includes the summer ?

All postgraduate accommodation has a 1 year tenancy - practically all PG courses last 1 year or more.
Reply 4
Thanks ! Sorry last 2 questions. So would you recommend going with the uni accommodation?
And Do you know if transfers are common? I would ideally like to move to one the buildings closer to the main campus after 6 weeks?
Original post by owlivia
Thanks ! Sorry last 2 questions. So would you recommend going with the uni accommodation?
And Do you know if transfers are common? I would ideally like to move to one the buildings closer to the main campus after 6 weeks?

You've left it pretty late to arrange alternative accommodation - I wouldn't go with one of the private student halls (over-priced) - and like I said, the convenience of it being arranged for you shouldn't be underestimated. Transfers aren't uncommon, but are obviously dependent on there being spaces to move to. Moving all your stuff is a pain - especially if you're only here for less than a year. It's by no means a terrible location, so I'd probably be inclined to just take it and see how things work out.
Reply 6
Hi
I have postgrad accommodation in EH1 available from 21 September until May 2016.
What is your budget?

Regards
Wendy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending