The Student Room Group

Tips for finding accommodation in Southampton as a postgrad?

I'm due to start studying for an MA at Southampton in September. The uni has accommodation available for postgrads, but prices are fairly steep and from what I understand it's more geared towards international students.

Would I be better off with a house share? How soon should I start looking around?
Original post by Xuchron
I'm due to start studying for an MA at Southampton in September. The uni has accommodation available for postgrads, but prices are fairly steep and from what I understand it's more geared towards international students.

Would I be better off with a house share? How soon should I start looking around?

Hi there,
Firstly, congratulations on starting your MA in September. I'd recommend exploring your options. There is university owned accommodation but you could also look at house shares (using sites like Spare Room or posting in forums like TSR) or private student accommodation in Southampton. For example, we have limited rooms available at our Vincent Place property in Southampton.

Hope this helps.

-Nicky
Reply 2
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
Firstly, congratulations on starting your MA in September. I'd recommend exploring your options. There is university owned accommodation but you could also look at house shares (using sites like Spare Room or posting in forums like TSR) or private student accommodation in Southampton. For example, we have limited rooms available at our Vincent Place property in Southampton.

Hope this helps.

-Nicky

Vincent Place is sadly out of my price range, but thanks for the advice.
Hi @Xuchron

Houseshares are more affordable. I live in a houseshare currently. My room is bigger than the one I had in halls and it is cheaper. I would recommend starting to look around from as soon as possible.

I would recommend looking at SUSU lettings which is the University of Southampton Student Union estate agent. They have a variety of properties this includes houseshares. These properties are for students only. I found my room through here. You can browse their properties via this link: https://www.susu.org/susu-lettings/.

There are also houseshares available through other estate agents which you can find through Rightmove.

I would recommend still applying for halls as a back up option and then making a decision nearer to the time. There are benefits to halls such as getting a free bus pass. And also, if you wanted ensuite room in particular, this would be much harder to find in a house whereas halls of residences have lots of ensuite rooms available. Halls of residences also come with additional facilities. For example, they have gyms as well as common rooms. However, as you have mentioned, these are more expensive.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
Reply 4
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @Xuchron

Houseshares are more affordable. I live in a houseshare currently. My room is bigger than the one I had in halls and it is cheaper. I would recommend starting to look around from as soon as possible.

I would recommend looking at SUSU lettings which is the University of Southampton Student Union estate agent. They have a variety of properties this includes houseshares. These properties are for students only. I found my room through here. You can browse their properties via this link: https://www.susu.org/susu-lettings/.

There are also houseshares available through other estate agents which you can find through Rightmove.

I would recommend still applying for halls as a back up option and then making a decision nearer to the time. There are benefits to halls such as getting a free bus pass. And also, if you wanted ensuite room in particular, this would be much harder to find in a house whereas halls of residences have lots of ensuite rooms available. Halls of residences also come with additional facilities. For example, they have gyms as well as common rooms. However, as you have mentioned, these are more expensive.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Thank you for all this.

Out of interest, where are MA students typically located? Do most go for halls or houseshares?

I've read that most people in postgrad halls will be international. I know international students make up a vast number of postgrads so this is to be expected, but the idea of being the only home student concerns me. Can you give some insight?
Original post by Xuchron
Thank you for all this.

Out of interest, where are MA students typically located? Do most go for halls or houseshares?

I've read that most people in postgrad halls will be international. I know international students make up a vast number of postgrads so this is to be expected, but the idea of being the only home student concerns me. Can you give some insight?

Hi,

There are a variety of halls that the University of Southampton offers and it is variable depending on the hall of residence.

I have spoken with a current MA student and she has told me that as far as she is aware:
Erasmus Park - mainly international students studying at the Winchester School of Arts
City Gateway and Mayflower - Postgraduate students - mainly international
Highfield Hall - mainly home students
Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane - mainly undergraduate home students

The other accomodation is Archers Road which I stayed at last year and this was mainly undergraduate students.

The University of Southampton website also suggests that you will be living with mainly international students:[url= https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/postgraduate#:~:text=City%20Gateway%2C%20Mayflower%2C%20Wessex%20Lane,Southampton%20has%20a%20partnership%20agreement.] https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/postgraduate#:~:text=City%20Gateway%2C%20Mayflower%2C%20Wessex%20Lane,Southampton%20has%20a%20partnership%20agreement.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
Reply 6
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

There are a variety of halls that the University of Southampton offers and it is variable depending on the hall of residence.

I have spoken with a current MA student and she has told me that as far as she is aware:
Erasmus Park - mainly international students studying at the Winchester School of Arts
City Gateway and Mayflower - Postgraduate students - mainly international
Highfield Hall - mainly home students
Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane - mainly undergraduate home students

The other accomodation is Archers Road which I stayed at last year and this was mainly undergraduate students.

The University of Southampton website also suggests that you will be living with mainly international students:[url= https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/postgraduate#:~:text=City%20Gateway%2C%20Mayflower%2C%20Wessex%20Lane,Southampton%20has%20a%20partnership%20agreement.] https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/postgraduate#:~:text=City%20Gateway%2C%20Mayflower%2C%20Wessex%20Lane,Southampton%20has%20a%20partnership%20agreement.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Thanks. I hope that question didn't come across as rude. I have nothing against international students at all, I would just find it awkward being the odd one out.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Xuchron
Thanks. I hope that question didn't come across as rude. I have nothing against international students at all, I would just find it awkward being the odd one out.

No worries. It didn't come across as rude.
Hello there,
If you're looking for graduate Southampton Student Accommodation, you can consider PBSAs which can accept you if you're a full time student and have recieved your student enrollment letter. Some universities may even provide on-campus student housing, but these are very limited and may have less options than off-campus PBSAs. If no PBSA options are available you can consider nearby private options which includes en-suite and non-ensuite rooms within shared houses or flats, to entire flats and houses, based on your budget.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending