The Student Room Group

Would it be possible to turn a C at AS into an A for the whole A-level

Hi :smile: I got a C for AS maths this year. I was really disappointed as I was hoping for at least a B since I want to go into engineering. This is the break down of my grades:

C1: 74%
C2: 79%
M1: 48%

I got the photocopy of my C1 paper back and it is literally all just silly mistakes which I could have done. Not to mention I managed to leave out a 5 mark question :confused:. So I am going to retake that and also retake my M1 paper. That is slightly trickier but I've already started preparing for it as I am doing M2 this year and thought it might help anyway.

I guess my main question is would it be possible to get an A for the whole A-level at the end of the year. I am really determined and really want this so badly but I know that I need to be realistic as well in terms of university entry requirements.
No you can't. You can get an A* though! :smile:

Currently you have 67%, so you need 93% at A2 to get an average of 80%. As 93% is also over 90% that would qualify as an A*.

You will have to work very hard however!

Good luck! :smile:

Edit: With the retakes, chances of getting an A will obviously increase if you do better. However, you have to think of pressure. Doing a lot of exams (too many) is not good and could lower your A2 results. But it is up to you! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jack.lp.thompson
No you can't. You can get an A* though! :smile:

Currently you have 67%, so you need 93% at A2 to get an average of 80%. As 93% is also over 90% that would qualify as an A*.

You will have to work very hard however!

Good luck! :smile:

Edit: With the retakes, chances of getting an A will obviously increase if you do better. However, you have to think of pressure. Doing a lot of exams (too many) is not good and could lower your A2 results. But it is up to you! :smile:

Thank you so much! Your reply was so helpful :smile:
Original post by fizzpop76
Hi :smile: I got a C for AS maths this year. I was really disappointed as I was hoping for at least a B since I want to go into engineering. This is the break down of my grades:

I got the photocopy of my C1 paper back and it is literally all just silly mistakes which I could have done. Not to mention I managed to leave out a 5 mark question :confused:. So I am going to retake that and also retake my M1 paper. That is slightly trickier but I've already started preparing for it as I am doing M2 this year and thought it might help anyway.

I guess my main question is would it be possible to get an A for the whole A-level at the end of the year. I am really determined and really want this so badly but I know that I need to be realistic as well in terms of university entry requirements.

As long as you resit a few modules then its more than possible.
C1 will become really easy once you've done C3 and 4 so you should hopefully be able to resit that with not too much revision (as long as you understand C3 and 4).
Resit M1 and as long as you do well on A2 maths you should be able to do it, possibly even get up to an A*
Yeah you can defo get an A just resit M1 and C1 and your good to go.

Maybe you should consider self teaching Statistics/Decision modules or going somewhere else to do them or asking your college whether to do them.It looks like you were potentially A grade standard at C1-C2 but made some silly mistakes and missed out a question and thus if you work hard then you could also do well on C3-C4 and it really looks like Mechanics has let you down, they are the toughest applied modules and can be very difficult conceptually if you can't get the Physics, where as you would probably be able to manage Statistics and Decision as they don't have as hard concepts.

My College teaches S1 and D1 as part of Maths A Level and M1-M3 as part of Further Maths A Level and I understand why they do this because Mechanics is so hard conceptually compared to S1 and D1, if you work hard at those modules its hard to see you not getting a decent mark(certainly not an E) although it is harder to get the highest marks due to strict marking of written questions, silly mistakes and high grade boundaries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you so much! Your reply was so helpful :smile:

Not a problem! A positive rating would be appreciated.

Good luck with A2! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest