The Student Room Group

binging

i think i have some disorder. i try my hardest to eat healthy and moderately, but everyday i'll end up in the kitchen stuffing my face with so much food that i don't even need. help?
Reply 1
There are a lot of things that can increase the likelihood of binging, both emotional/psychological and physiologically.

When you say you try your hardest to eat healthily and moderately, what's your typical kind of daily intake like? A lot of people can fall into the habit of trying to 'compensate' for binging by eating less the next day etc, which increases the risk of binging, so do make sure that you're eating regularly and sufficiently during the day even when you struggle with the binging.

For some people, binging is very very 'emotional' - it can be related to loneliness, or boredom, or a way of coping with stress or painful emotions. Are there certain times of the day that you tend to binge more, or certain foods that you tend to binge on?

I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, but during my recovery have been through phases where I have struggled with binging, and the main thing for me has definitely been to eat regularly and sufficiently throughout the day. But other things that can help are buying things that are individually portioned out, which can make it harder to binge on them, allowing yourself 'treat' sized snacks so that you're not denying yourself something altogether, and if it comes to it, buying individual snacks/etc on a day to day basis so that the food isn't there to binge on (although I know that can be difficult with costs).
Reply 2
Original post by Liv1204
There are a lot of things that can increase the likelihood of binging, both emotional/psychological and physiologically.

When you say you try your hardest to eat healthily and moderately, what's your typical kind of daily intake like? A lot of people can fall into the habit of trying to 'compensate' for binging by eating less the next day etc, which increases the risk of binging, so do make sure that you're eating regularly and sufficiently during the day even when you struggle with the binging.

For some people, binging is very very 'emotional' - it can be related to loneliness, or boredom, or a way of coping with stress or painful emotions. Are there certain times of the day that you tend to binge more, or certain foods that you tend to binge on?

I am diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, but during my recovery have been through phases where I have struggled with binging, and the main thing for me has definitely been to eat regularly and sufficiently throughout the day. But other things that can help are buying things that are individually portioned out, which can make it harder to binge on them, allowing yourself 'treat' sized snacks so that you're not denying yourself something altogether, and if it comes to it, buying individual snacks/etc on a day to day basis so that the food isn't there to binge on (although I know that can be difficult with costs).

Well i try to eat between 1500-2000 calories. Im 18 years old, 5ft2 and approximately weigh 13.5 stone... I've been binging for the past 2/3 years. Some binges are smaller than others, but i can eat huge amounts of food in one sitting. It's been triggered by stress i think, not too sure
The same happens to me, I try not to eat 'bad' things like chocolate every day, and every day I end up eating far too much rubbish. I don't understand how I'm not overweight yet, I worry about it and then end up comfort eating.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
The same happens to me, I try not to eat 'bad' things like chocolate every day, and every day I end up eating far too much rubbish. I don't understand how I'm not overweight yet, I worry about it and then end up comfort eating.

Binging has made me gain weight tbh - same its so hard, i try to eat a little but ill end up stuffing my face with those huge chocolate share bars
Easy. Spend less on food, and there will be nothing for you to stuff on
Reply 6
Original post by shawn_o1
Easy. Spend less on food, and there will be nothing for you to stuff on

Tried that - worked for a week or two

Quick Reply

Latest