The Student Room Group

''Earning'' money/a living is a fallacy.

It's all the lottery of birth. You cannot claim to have deserved anything until everybody is on a level playing field.

The middle class can get mad all they want, but it is true.

Scroll to see replies

You're right, but who's to say you can take our wealth and riches away from us?
We like it, what are YOU gonna do, Mr. corbyn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ElephantMemory
It's all the lottery of birth. You cannot claim to have deserved anything until everybody is on a level playing field.

If you are disadvantaged to begin with, then I don't see why you can't.
Original post by Laurie_H
If you are disadvantaged to begin with, then I don't see why you can't.

You cannot. It is luck until everybody is on a level playing field.
Reply 4
I started with nothing and now I'm making money. I don't really care about your victim mentality. Even when I lived in a **** hole I believed I was the best because I am. People like yourself are only lashing out because you are scared and insecure yourself. You are scared to take risks, the little voice in your head keeps telling you that you can't do that and your defeatist mindset has made you a little bitch whinging about your predicament and how its everyone else's fault.

Original post by Mr JB
I started with nothing and now I'm making money. I don't really care about your victim mentality. Even when I lived in a **** hole I believed I was the best because I am. People like yourself are only lashing out because you are scared and insecure yourself. You are scared to take risks, the little voice in your head keeps telling you that you can't do that and your defeatist mindset has made you a little bitch whinging about your predicament and how its everyone else's fault.

You have a flawed view of the world. You are also assuming i am from poverty and complaining about it. If you are from poverty, you are not proof it is possible for everybody. When 1 person out of 100 becomes successful, is that proof that it is possible for everybody? No, it isn't. By saying it is possible for everybody, you are ignoring the struggle.You are telling the 99% of people who failed that they are failures instead of telling the 1% who made it that they are lucky.
Reply 6
You have a flawed view of the world. You are also assuming i am from poverty and complaining about it. If you are from poverty, you are not proof it is possible for everybody. When 1 person out of 100 becomes successful, is that proof that it is possible for everybody? No, it isn't. By saying it is possible for everybody, you are ignoring the struggle.You are telling the 99% of people who failed that they are failures instead of telling the 1% who made it that they are lucky.

I didn't say it was possible for everyone.
Reply 7
actually countless studies have shown that (largely genetic) intelligence has more effect on your adult income than either your parents social class or income: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289606001127. Genes are also one of the main factors influencing exam results, which has substantial impact on the university people go to, and hence their career.

Britain is actually fairly meritocratic, in that smart kids from poor backgrounds typically go on to do well. There are just a lot less of them than smart kids from middle-class backgounds. See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14687461

. The results show that intelligence test scores in childhood are associated with class mobility in adulthood uniformly across all social classes. There is no evidence that those from underprivileged backgrounds have to be disproportionately able in order to reach the professional classes. The study reveals an apparently high level of social mobility and meritocracy in contemporary Britain.

Also see Peter Saunder's work, hes spent most of his career examining this stuff. A representative paper is: http://soc.sagepub.com/content/31/2/261.abstract

The analysis shows that ability is an important factor influencing social mobility chances, and through a series of logistic regression and multiple regression models, it demonstrates that meritocratic factors (individual effort and ability) outweigh social advantage/disadvantage factors in predicting the occupational class achieved by over 6,000 men and women by age 33.

Leftists typically dont care about the actual facts and scientific research, they just want to believe whatever suits their political ideology. Obviously social class does matter somewhat, but it isnt everything, and doesnt even seem to be the dominant factor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, this is a popular thread...
Reply 9
OP is just jealous that I can make it rain on his girlfriend.

Original post by poohat
actually countless studies have shown that (largely genetic) intelligence has more effect on your adult income than either your parents social class or income: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289606001127. Genes are also one of the main factors influencing exam results, which has substantial impact on the university people go to, and hence their career.

Britain is actually fairly meritocratic, in that smart kids from poor backgrounds typically go on to do well. There are just a lot less of them than smart kids from middle-class backgounds. See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14687461

Also see Peter Saunder's work, hes spent most of his career examining this stuff. A representative paper is: http://soc.sagepub.com/content/31/2/261.abstract

Leftists typically dont care about the actual facts and scientific research, they just want to believe whatever suits their political ideology. Obviously social class does matter somewhat, but it isnt everything, and doesnt even seem to be the dominant factor.

Middle class person detected. Flawed scientific research detected.

Sounds like you believe Middle Class people are genetically superior. You going to talk about the Aryan race next?
(edited 8 years ago)
There is no such thing as a level playing field. If you even out unearned educational advantage you still leave unearned natural advantage. People didn't do anything to 'deserve' their talents.

Personally that doesn't bother me at all.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There is no such thing as a level playing field. If you even out unearned educational advantage you still leave unearned natural advantage. People didn't do anything to 'deserve' their talents.

How do you suggest we fix it? Social cleansing? I bet you would love that.
How do you suggest we fix it? Social cleansing? I bet you would love that.

What?

I'm saying there is no 'fix'. That's my entire point.

If you're going to troll, be more subtle.
What?

I'm saying there is no 'fix'. That's my entire point.

If you're going to troll, be more subtle.

Great argument. Accuse me of trolling and disappear into the woods.

Your post was talking about how some people are genetically superior. If some people are genetically superior then the only way to fix it is social cleansing. I bet you would love that.
Reply 15

The middle class can get mad all they want, but it is true.

You're right overall, but I think there are exceptions, where rich people spunk all their money away and end up completely broke, or those born poor get a lucky break and make loads of money. But for the majority of us, we end up where we started, no matter how hard we work.

Educational advantage? Erm school is free...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abc:)
You're right overall, but I think there are exceptions, where rich people spunk all their money away and end up completely broke, or those born poor get a lucky break and make loads of money. But for the majority of us, we end up where we started, no matter how hard we work.

Of course some people are born rich and will probably end up rich but people that start of poor have no reason to stay poor, hard work will take people out of poverty in the UK because there are the opportunities. Too bad many people are prepared to work their arses of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abc:)

Pretty much. You are either born successful or you get lucky.

Original post by WannabeDoctor98
Of course some people are born rich and will probably end up rich but people that start of poor have no reason to stay poor, hard work will take people out of poverty in the UK because there are the opportunities. Too bad many people are prepared to work their arses of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard work will not take people out of poverty in the UK. That's not how this country is set up.
Reply 19
Original post by WannabeDoctor98

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are not always the opportunities... if you're born poor simple things like not being able to afford to relocate, (to name one of a million things), can hold you back.

Quick Reply

Latest