The Student Room Group

Online opportunities to earn money

I would like to know all the ways to earn money like dropshipping or something as I am currently struggling in university , student finance has not been enough and I am literally having a enough money. Let's give each other ideas please!
Original post by Chxchii
I would like to know all the ways to earn money like dropshipping or something as I am currently struggling in university , student finance has not been enough and I am literally having a enough money. Let's give each other ideas please!

This is probably not the best place to ask for business advice.

If you are struggling financially, the best place to look for funding would be through bursaries and scholarships. These are usually available through your university. However funds rarely go beyond £2k each.
If you're doing a course related to allied health/healthcare, then you might be able to look for further bursaries from the NHS. I don't know which subject you're doing, so I can't specify which bursaries to look into.

If you want something that would significantly help, then go for part time jobs. Try to keep the hours below 20 a week in order for ti not to affect your studies.

The thing with businesses is that you can't expect or depend on the business to reap in money, since 80% of businesses can fail within the first year. The failures can also come with costs. It's kind of like going all in in Russian roulette; too high of a risk. Whilst the payoffs can be big, the risks might make it unsustainable.
Something like 92% (don't quote me on that; can't be sure that's the exact figure) of all Shopify businesses for example don't make money. For 7-8% of the businesses make marginal profit. It's usually the less than 1% make money, and they do things very differently. So dropshipping and ecommerce is definitely not a get rich quick scheme. Don't get me wrong, you can make serious money from it, but you won't make the money by doing what everybody else is doing.
There's also a learning curve when it comes to starting a business. If you don't know what you're doing, you can get burned very quickly. Even if you do know what you're doing, you may not necessarily doing what you would need to bring in the big money that you need.
Original post by Chxchii

You'll earn a lot more by getting a job in a local supermarket or bar, or ask your uni if it has any job vacancies. Students are paid to represent unis at open/offer holder days, in campus bars/retail outlets, and even for being reps on TSR.
Online the surveys etc r normally a good way to earn money
Original post by ebyrne2036
Online the surveys etc r normally a good way to earn money

They pay very little for the time invested.
Original post by Chxchii

Get a part time job somewhere, such as a shop, supermarket, fast food place, restaurant, cafe, cinema etc etc.
Your Student Union will have advice on how to apply to your Uni’s hardship fund if you are stuck. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from the University.

There’s some online earning potentially, Tutorful if you can teach a subject you are strong in online, online surveys with somewhere like YouGov could help, or perhaps remote work that you can fit in part time from your accommodation/home.
you will be distracted if you work part time and your grades will suffer

trust me been there done that.
Original post by HucktheForde
you will be distracted if you work part time and your grades will suffer

trust me been there done that.

That’s preposterous. There’s thousands of people who work part time and study full time, in fact for many it’s the only way to afford to do so. Some people make struggle with it but the for the most part it’s very amicable to do.

It’s all about time management and load management. There’s a lot of downtime as a student where a job can fit in, it also boosts your CV upon graduation and better places you for professional environments and working full time as opposed to those who have no work experience and suddenly try to enter the workforce.
Original post by gandalfslipper
That’s preposterous. There’s thousands of people who work part time and study full time, in fact for many it’s the only way to afford to do so. Some people make struggle with it but the for the most part it’s very amicable to do.

It’s all about time management and load management. There’s a lot of downtime as a student where a job can fit in, it also boosts your CV upon graduation and better places you for professional environments and working full time as opposed to those who have no work experience and suddenly try to enter the workforce.

yes they do but not out of choice
(edited 10 months ago)
yes they do but not out of choice

What do you mean?
Original post by gandalfslipper
What do you mean?

Most people dont work out of choice. they work because they have to pay the bills.
Original post by Chxchii

Freelance can be the wayout but it depends on your interests and personality.
Most people dont work out of choice. they work because they have to pay the bills.

How is that relevant? 99% of the population have to work to pay bills
Reply 14
Original post by mayberiri
I am still doing my undergrad and have been tutoring at this website called Lessonpal. I am tutoring on other websites as well but now completely focused on this one as it gives me enough students and their commission rates are also very less compared to the other sites I have tutored in. Hope this helps!

Don't you have to live in the US to tutor on there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending