The Student Room Group

New idea to reduce spammers

There has been waves of new accounts created just to spam threads.

I proposed TSR ban the creation of accounts using temporary email provider such as 10 min mail so this would make creation of new emails for registration purpose difficult. most big email companies like gmail and yahoo has many verification process that makes new email registration difficult.

eg

http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

Scroll to see replies

It's a year since I left the mod team so trends may have changed, but as I recall a surprisingly large number of spammers used "legit" email domains like yahoo.
Are IP bans out of the question?
Original post by DiddyDec

I believe there are ways around this which the spammers use :grumble:

Too easy to change IP and too likely to accidentally ban people who happen to end up with a banned IP one day.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I believe there are ways around this which the spammers use :grumble:

Has it been tried?

It would certainly help with the dupe issues.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Too easy to change IP and too likely to accidentally ban people who happen to end up with a banned IP one day.

How about key word filtering? Much like the swear filter does, but it puts questionable threads into another section for the mods to approve. The spam ones would be pretty easy to pick up.

Or temp ban people for making too many threads in a specified period of time.
How about key word filtering? Much like the swear filter does, but it puts questionable threads into another section for the mods to approve. The spam ones would be pretty easy to pick up.

Or temp ban people for making too many threads in a specified period of time.

1. Already exists, but it's computationally expensive and the problem gets worse the more words or phrases you add so it's very hard to make it watertight

2. There's already the minimum time between posts, as well as temp banning IP addresses with too many newly registered accounts in a short period of time. Something like making you wait x minutes between creating threads might work but only for the spammers who create new threads rather than posting in existing ones
1. Already exists, but it's computationally expensive and the problem gets worse the more words or phrases you add so it's very hard to make it watertight

2. There's already the minimum time between posts, as well as temp banning IP addresses with too many newly registered accounts in a short period of time. Something like making you wait x minutes between creating threads might work but only for the spammers who create new threads rather than posting in existing ones

Well most of the annoying spammers just fill the boards with loads of new threads about the same subject.

I'm sure the good people of TSR can figure something out.
Has it been tried?

It would certainly help with the dupe issues.

IP bans are easily circumvented really, they wouldn't solve the issue on anything other than a very short term basis.
New members not being allowed to post a thread for x days after joining would fix it, no?

Allow them to post replies to existing threads, just not create their own.

Would also have the benefit of not having multiple threads asking the same questions - New users would actually go search for the answers.
Original post by Drewski
New members not being allowed to post a thread for x days after joining would fix it, no?

Would also have the benefit of not having multiple threads asking the same questions - New users would actually go search for the answers.

Around things like uni applications etc, which a lot of members join for, this wouldn't really work, would it? It would also defeat the purpose of Introduce Yourself, if no one new could make threads there.
Reply 12
ban more, ban more, ban more ... is the answer
Like any "crime" since its inception it is impossible to eradicate.
Original post by shadowdweller
Around things like uni applications etc, which a lot of members join for, this wouldn't really work, would it? It would also defeat the purpose of Introduce Yourself, if no one new could make threads there.

Again, you're not stopping them from posting, just from creating new threads.

The introduce me forum could have a single thread that everybody uses to say hi - other forums do that.

Questions around applications can still be asked and, again, how many truly new questions does TSR actually get? I'd bet that 99.99999999...% of all the questions prospective students ask have been asked before; there's no reason why they can't search for and then use pre-existing threads to ask their repeat questions.

From my experience in the careers area I know that the overwhelming majority of questions we get are ones that we always get.

This one small change wouldn't change anything.

It doesn't even need to be long, just a day would be enough to stop bots.
Original post by Drewski
Again, you're not stopping them from posting, just from creating new threads.

The introduce me forum could have a single thread that everybody uses to say hi - other forums do that.

Questions around applications can still be asked and, again, how many truly new questions does TSR actually get? I'd bet that 99.99999999...% of all the questions prospective students ask have been asked before; there's no reason why they can't search for and then use pre-existing threads to ask their repeat questions.

From my experience in the careers area I know that the overwhelming majority of questions we get ate ones that we always get.

This one small change wouldn't change anything.

It doesn't even need to be long, just a day would be enough to stop bots.

Hence the comment about uni applications rather than general posts - they're often circumstance specific, or worth having their own thread regardless
Original post by shadowdweller
Hence the comment about uni applications rather than general posts - they're often circumstance specific, or worth having their own thread regardless

Are they though?

Are they actually unique, or are they just repeats of twenty other similar threads from the year before?

I'd be willing to bet that they aren't that unique in the slightest and the people posting them are just being lazy / don't know better.
Original post by Drewski

Unfortunately you're relying on people not having the attention span of a gnat, once people realised they had to wait x days to post a thread a lot would just bugger off never to return. Someone in the company would almost certainly veto the idea on the grounds of putting too many potential new users off.
Unfortunately you're relying on people not having the attention span of a gnat, once people realised they had to wait x days to post a thread a lot would just bugger off never to return. Someone in the company would almost certainly veto the idea on the grounds of putting too many potential new users off.

I don't believe limiting new threads would stop many at all. They could still post replies, it might even encourage them to post better.

But if that is such a concern, then limit where they can post.

Have a newbies forum. They can do whatever (within the rules) there immediately, but have to wait an hour before they can post a new thread anywhere else.
Why not have Drewski's idea - but rather than just saying "you can't post a new thread <angry face>" let users create their thread with title/content and when they hit the "post thread" button they get a choice

As a new user all your new threads have to be approved by a member of staff - this could take up to 24 hours. Alternatively your thread could be merged with another.

Please choose from the options below:
* post my thread once approved by a member of staff (you'll be emailed once it is approved)
* merge my thread "Switching unis" with the thread "University Transfer FAQs" that we've identified as the best match
* merge my thread with another thread from the list of close matches below (with forum, reply #, latest reply date and views so they can merge with the most active thread).
Original post by PQ
Why not have Drewski's idea - but rather than just saying "you can't post a new thread <angry face>" let users create their thread with title/content and when they hit the "post thread" button they get a choice

Cue excuse such as "too expensive" or "too difficult to implement" meanwhile TSR floods my page with adverts that makes them millions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending