The Student Room Group

Restarting EPQ

Hi, I started Epq in september. I started with an idea and did some research (not much as I had no motivation) and I’ve filled out my forms on project Q . But I’ve now realised my topic isn’t great and I’m not interested in it now. Is it too late to completely restart? (i’m not worried about missing the deadline as ik if im interested i’ll put a lot of effort in but im worried i would lose marks and possibly not get the A i’m hoping for ?)
Reply 1
There is always a danger when switching ideas that you end up in the same place with the new idea. Are you 100% sure that you want to jettison the original idea? Do you want to say a bit about it?
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
There is always a danger when switching ideas that you end up in the same place with the new idea. Are you 100% sure that you want to jettison the original idea? Do you want to say a bit about it?

Hi, my idea was about how the placebo affect can be used to manage pain / reduce side affects. i’m having second doubts that it’s a good idea to do the epq on. what do you think?
it’s also quite difficult as there’s not much known about the placebo affect so it’s hard to find accurate studies and sources
Reply 3
It's outside my area of expertise, so I can ony offer limited advice. However, what about running a Google Scholar search on "the placebo effect and pain management" and see what comes up?
Reply 4
Hi

It certainly used to be the case that you can change your title up to a certain point, but if you have reached that point, it may then be tricky to change. If you do change it, it may not be too late to restart, if you work really hard. I would check with your supervisor ASAP. If you can't change, can your supervisor give help on where to find sources?

It's good to record regularly and in plenty of relevant detail in your log. You can pick up marks there. Some students don't do this and miss out on easy marks. Try Google scholar as above but even just googling for open access articles will bring sources up that you can use. You don't need masses of sources (plus it is good to have a variety of them). Maybe ask your supervisor what the minimum is.

There is a good AQA EPQ book you might want to get hold of. It takes you through each stage of the process and is helpful. This course below is very good and can be done quickly. No need to pay.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by J5sss
Hi, I started Epq in september. I started with an idea and did some research (not much as I had no motivation) and I’ve filled out my forms on project Q . But I’ve now realised my topic isn’t great and I’m not interested in it now. Is it too late to completely restart? (i’m not worried about missing the deadline as ik if im interested i’ll put a lot of effort in but im worried i would lose marks and possibly not get the A i’m hoping for ?)

How far along the production log are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending