The Student Room Group

Student nurse hours cut down

Hi,
I have read the news that there is a plan to reduce student nurses placement hours and also that they will get paid when they are on placement. Even there was the discussion in the parliament.Any updates or ideas please.
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Safizee
Hi,
I have read the news that there is a plan to reduce student nurses placement hours and also that they will get paid when they are on placement. Even there was the discussion in the parliament.Any updates or ideas please.
Thank you

Do you have a link to what you’ve read? Id be interested to read it if you have one :smile:

As far as I am aware, currently there’s no plans to change anything, but it’s a topic that’s constantly debated within nursing.

My own opinion is that hours on placement should be reduced, but only with supernumerary status properly protected and learning in the practice environment supported. Being paid would mean that the nhs feels it “owns” students and staffing is shocking at the moment with many students being used for service delivery over learning anyway so paying students could exacerbate this, so I currently don’t think placements should be paid provided my first point about supernumerary status is met and there is adequate financial support provided to students (bursaries etc).
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Do you have a link to what you’ve read? Id be interested to read it if you have one :smile:

As far as I am aware, currently there’s no plans to change anything, but it’s a topic that’s constantly debated within nursing.

My own opinion is that hours on placement should be reduced, but only with supernumerary status properly protected and learning in the practice environment supported. Being paid would mean that the nhs feels it “owns” students and staffing is shocking at the moment with many students being used for service delivery over learning anyway so paying students could exacerbate this, so I currently don’t think placements should be paid provided my first point about supernumerary status is met and there is adequate financial support provided to students (bursaries etc).

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/610557 I hope this link will work the debate in the parliament was on 20/11/23.
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Safizee
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/610557 I hope this link will work the debate in the parliament was on 20/11/23.
Thanks

The government response in that basically says they’re not going to change anything at the moment.

Are you studying nursing currently or looking to study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending