The Student Room Group

Moving Into Accommodation With Anxiety + Depression

The day is nearing closer where I am scheduled to leave home & move into my first year shared (kitchen + bathroom) Uni accomodation , & I have absolutely no idea how to prepare myself for this ; to say the least im petrified . Altough I feel alone in this situation I know there will be groups of people feeling simularly , has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for this ? & is there anything worth buying in advance for my Uni room to make my own life easier on the more mentally tolling days
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by moonie004
The day is nearing closer where I am scheduled to leave home & move into my first year shared (kitchen + bathroom) Uni accomodation , & I have absolutely no idea how to prepare myself for this ; to say the least im petrified . Altough I feel alone in this situation I know there will be groups of people feeling simularly , has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for this ? & is there anything worth buying in advance for my Uni room to make my own life easier on the more mentally tolling days

Hi there.

Moving away from home for uni is a very big change so its normal to feel nervous - you're definitely not alone as you've said. It may be worth taking some items of sentimental value (e.g. cards with nice messages or gifts) to reduce homesickness and uplift you on challenging days.

Best wishes. :smile:

Hi there,
First of all, you are definitely not alone. Mental health is not a static thing, and a period of anxiety or low mood could occur unexpectedly. I'd suggest exploring what wellbeing support there is at your university, they may be able to put specific measures in place to make your transition easier. Regarding what to take to university, if you think being away from home will cause you additional stress then I'd highly recommend taking home comforts. This could be anything from décor to a cosy blanket - whatever reminds you of home. I'd also recommend keeping in touch with your family, organise time to video call them and chat through how you're feeling.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 3
im petrified

Take a gap year.
Honestly, if you are that worried then you need some time out to become a bit more confident and resilient

Hey there! Congrats on starting your first year of university and moving into your accommodation soon! It's completely normal to feel scared or nervous, but I promise you that you're not alone. As a second year cyber security student at De Montfort University, I can definitely relate to how you're feeling.

To prepare for moving into your new accommodation, I would suggest making a list of all the things you need to bring with you. This can include bedding, towels, toiletries, kitchen supplies, and anything else you think you might need. As for your room, you can bring some items to make it feel more like home, such as photos, posters, or a cozy blanket.

In terms of mentally preparing yourself, try to focus on the positives of this new experience. You'll have the opportunity to meet new people, explore new interests, and gain independence. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try new things - it's a great way to grow and learn more about yourself.

Lastly, remember that it's okay to feel overwhelmed or stressed at times. You're not expected to have everything figured out right away. Make sure to prioritise self-care and take breaks when needed. And don't hesitate to reach out to your university's resources if you need help or support.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy this new chapter in your life!

- Ilya :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending