The Student Room Group

20th/21st century novel recommendations to read for English Literature?

I'm a bit stuck on which 20th/21st century novel to read for my English literature AS level course, I need to be able to read it in a month so I need something that isn't too long. A novel that will hold my interest throughout so has anyone got any suggestions or faveourites? :-)
Thank you !
Reply 1
Do you have a theme for your exam (eg. I had WW1 at AS, and Love Through The Ages at A2)? And have you been given any set texts to read? It would be a good idea to base your wider reading around this. Personally though, I've enjoyed these ones recently that I've read around the theme Love Through The Ages.

Brave New World
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Dubliners
Jamaica Inn
The Bell Jar
The Catcher in the Rye
We Need To Talk About Kevin
About A Boy

It all depends on what sort of thing you like though, a lot of it involves trying out different authors and seeing which ones catch your attention.
(edited 8 years ago)
A Clockwork Orange
The Great Gatsby (actually American literature but a brilliant book nonetheless)
Fahrenheit 451
Cloud Atlas

Or anything by Philip K. Dick :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by oswalds
Do you have a theme for your exam (eg. I had WW1 at AS, and Love Through The Ages at A2)? And have you been given any set texts to read? It would be a good idea to base your wider reading around this. Personally though, I've enjoyed these ones recently that I've read around the theme Love Through The Ages.

Brave New World
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Dubliners
Jamaica Inn
The Bell Jar
The Catcher in the Rye
We Need To Talk About Kevin
About A Boy

It all depends on what sort of thing you like though, a lot of it involves trying out different authors and seeing which ones catch your attention.

I'm doing Love Through The ages and okay thank you for the help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by connieiscrazy
A Clockwork Orange
The Great Gatsby (actually American literature but a brilliant book nonetheless)
Fahrenheit 451
Cloud Atlas

Or anything by Philip K. Dick :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending