The Student Room Group

IB SL/HL lit

I’m planning to take lit for IB and I was wondering about what books are normally or have been covered in the courses, and if there are things people recommend to read prior to taking the course?
When I did it at least English lit didn't really have prescribed texts in the same way as A-level. Instead teachers chose from a really wide range of world literature options (literally hundreds of possible texts) plus I think had pretty free reign on what they taught for the non-world lit options provided they would you know, fit into the exam format.

I think the syllabus has changed somewhat since then but in general I don't think there are fixed set texts and it will depend on what your individual school is teaching.

edit: see here prescribed texts: https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/prl/?lang=en# for each literature subject. There are 12 pages for English for example! You don't study all of them, just a selection. Also it looks like world literature (literature in translation) is still a mandatory component too.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
As above, you wont know what actual texts you will be studying yet, but some general 'homework' about studying literature might be useful. These are short online courses from some UK Unis (free - you don't need a 'subscription') that will start you thinking about some 'bigger ideas' :
How to Read a Poem - Online Poetry Course - FutureLearn
What Is Poetry? Intro Literary Analysis Online Course (futurelearn.com)
How to Read a Novel - Online Literature Course - FutureLearn
Jane Austen: Myth & Reality - Online Course - FutureLearn
Also some podcast lectures from Gresham College :
Villains in the Novel (gresham.ac.uk)
Reading as a Reader and Reading as a Critic (gresham.ac.uk)
Plotting Novels: from Austen and Dickens to Agatha Christie and John le Carré (gresham.ac.uk)
etc etc
Shakespeare for Schools | Gresham College
Can I also recommend this resource? IB English Guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending