The Student Room Group

Indian mob kills man over 'beef eating' rumour

A man has been dragged out of his house and beaten to death by a mob near New Delhi over rumours that his family killed and ate a cow, the victim’s brother has told Al Jazeera.

Mohammed Akhlaq, 52, a resident of Bisara village in Gautam Budh Nagar, about 40km from the Indian capital, was attacked on Monday night.

He died of his injuries early on Tuesday while his 22-year-old son Mohammed Danish was admitted to a nearby hospital in a critical condition.

“My brother threw goat’s kin in the garbage dump. But some people circulated a rumour that a cow was slaughtered and an announcement was made from the local temple,” Mohammed Saifi, the victim's brother, said.

“Soon a mob of about 1,000 people, armed with lathis [baton] and swords, gathered and attacked the house of my brother.

“They did not even spare my 82-year-old mother, who has suffered injuries along with Akhlaq’s wife and daughter Sajida Saifi,” he said.

The attack on Akhlaq, a Muslim, comes as tensions increase between Hindus and religious minorities in the Uttar Pradesh state, where the incident occurred.

Sacred cow

Beef is not illegal in Uttar Pradesh but cow slaughter is banned as the animal is considered sacred for Hindus, who form about 80 percent of India’s 1.3 billion population.

Kiran S, a senior police officer of Gautam Budh Nagar, told Al Jazeera that six suspects had been arrested over Monday night's attack.

"The situation right now is calm and force has been deployed in the area," he said.

India is the world's largest exporter of beef and its fifth biggest consumer but Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government wants a nationwide ban on cow slaughter and the beef trade, which is run mostly by Muslims.

Since Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came to power last May, a number of attacks on minorities, including Muslims and Christians, have been linked to Hindu far-right organisations.

Last year, Hindu groups launched a campaign to convert Christians and Muslims to Hinduism dubbed as ghar wapsi [home coming], while many churches came under attack.

"The rhetoric about cow protection had emboldened some people to act as vigilantes," police officer Anurag Kumar, who is investigating the lynching, told Reuters.

"The incident is shocking," he said. "The Hindu mob felt they had a licence to kill."

Siddarth Varadarajan, the editor of thewire.in, said "the ruling party [BJP] at one level has contributed to the frenzy over the idea that cows are endangered and that they are being indiscriminately slaughtered".

"This kind of communalisation and the frenzy that has been built over the issue of beef is very unfortunate," he told Al Jazeera.

"I don’t know in this particular issue, which groups are involved but when you create a climate of hysteria then these kinds of incidents happen."

Villagers fearful

The Uttar Pradesh government, which has been criticised for not doing enough to control the recent religious unrest, announced compensation of 1 million rupees ($15,256) to the victim’s family and promised full security.

But the 20-25 Muslim families in the village are living in fear, as they had not seen this kind of violence in their lifetime.

"I screamed and shouted to tell the mob that we did not eat beef, and they should stop beating my father and my brother, but they pushed me away," Sajida, who witnessed the attack, told the Reuters news agency.

"My brother was dragged to the courtyard downstairs and they used bricks to hit him on the head and chest, leaving him unconscious. They also tried to molest me and hit my grandmother on her face. They threatened to kill me if I said a word to the police," Sajida told the Indian Express newspaper.

Police officer Kiran S said that the police were investigating which organisations were involved and how the incident happened.

"What prompted them to do this, as otherwise they lived in perfect harmony," he said.

So far, India’s prime minister has not commented on the issue.

"The prime minister has been silent for the past 14-15 months other than criticising one of his ministers. It’s unfortunate that they are not taking it seriously. The kind of cultivated hysteria is going to lead to more violence,” senior journalist Varadarajan said.

About 20-25 Muslim families, who are landless and mostly daily wage-earners, live in the village that witnessed the violence.

"We have been living here for the past 100 years and communities lived together through thick and thin. But the trust between the two communities is diminishing," Mohammed Saifi said.

"We don’t want to make it a political issue. We want peace in the area. Whatever happened to us, we will live with it. I hope government and administration listens to our pain."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/09/indian-mob-kills-man-cow-slaughter-rumour-150930193719666.html

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely disgusting.

A perfect example why there is something inherently wrong with the factionalism that religion brings, and there is something rotten with the culture in that area of the world.
Reply 2
That mob were a bunch of f***ing idiots.

According to Hindu teachings, they've committed a greater act of evil by killing the poor guy compared to someone who exercises the right to eat beef. Plus the mob probably don't realize that beef is consumed by Hindus in Southern India and was even widespread in the North many centuries ago.

This is a political issue rather than religious.
This isn't that surprising, I've seen this sort mindset with my own eyes in India. A massive chunk of the population is so backwards in the way they think and act. It's a shame because there's a lot of really intelligent people as well, but between widespread corruption and a lot of primitive mindsets these people can't really help redeem the nation. How did ancient India end up in the state it is today?
I've heard loads of these stories based on false religious accusations but usually they aren't reported by the media but for once the victim Muslim but that doesn't... Oh wait Aljazeera that explains it. Any ways it's disgusting tribalism and India needs to move past it in order to become a first world nation.
Original post by MrKmas508
I've heard loads of these stories based on false religious accusations but usually they aren't reported by the media but for once the victim Muslim but that doesn't... Oh wait Aljazeera that explains it. Any ways it's disgusting tribalism and India needs to move past it in order to become a first world nation.

Sorry?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Absolutely disgusting.

A perfect example why there is something inherently wrong with the factionalism that religion brings, and there is something rotten with the culture in that area of the world.

So when a white Christian in the USA killed a person because they were gay, that means there's something rotten about US culture?
Original post by nucdev
That mob were a bunch of f***ing idiots.

According to Hindu teachings, they've committed a greater act of evil by killing the poor guy compared to someone who exercises the right to eat beef. Plus the mob probably don't realize that beef is consumed by Hindus in Southern India and was even widespread in the North many centuries ago.

This is a political issue rather than religious.

Is there any actual scripture in the Vedas or whatever that advises not to eat beef? I'm sure it's one of those things that is just passed on from generation to generation without really being thought about too much.

The problem with this case and with many like it is that these people are not educated. They're quite literally simple villagers. They don't really value human life in the way that we do. This combined with the tension between Muslims and the other religions in India leads to outbursts like these. But the problem is that a lot of the tension between groups in India is religious and if the country wants to move forward, it needs to remove the influence religion has on all aspects of life.
Original post by The_Internet
Sorry?

I'm saying that I've heard plenty of stories similer to this with Muslims persecuting non Muslims but the press never published this. However This one has which makes me think that it's unfair. Anyway it is horrible and shouldn't of happened.
That's terrible. I wonder if the mob were Hindu nationalist types? Most Hindus live and let live in my experience.
Original post by MrKmas508
I'm saying that I've heard plenty of stories similer to this with Muslims persecuting non Muslims but the press never published this. However This one has which makes me think that it's unfair. Anyway it is horrible and shouldn't of happened.

What are you on about? Of course they do... Are you insinuating that Muslims are simply playing the victim? We had some Muslims kill a Christian due to rumours as well (Which made the press, and more press outlets than Al Jazeera) - According to your logic, Christians are also playing victims?
So when a white Christian in the USA killed a person because they were gay, that means there's something rotten about US culture?

Yes, Christian values are what US culture was built from. They're almost inseparable, I'm almost certain you'll find a correlation between the most Christian areas and the frequency of hate crimes on homosexuals. While it's sort of improving, the US does have a rotten culture in certain areas.

Well, yeah kind of.

This isn't the first time that someone was brutally murdered by a mob for a rumour. That's kind of the point I was getting at.
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes, Christian values are what US culture was built from. They're almost inseparable, I'm almost certain you'll find a correlation between the most Christian areas and the frequency of hate crimes on homosexuals. While it's sort of improving, the US does have a rotten culture in certain areas.

So long as you're consistent
Reply 14
Designated
this is the IRL equivalent of a Twitter ****storm, no context (or even facts??) required! let's just ruin some people's day
So long as you're consistent

It's probably because I'm tired, but I don't really understand what you're saying here.
What are you on about? Of course they do... Are you insinuating that Muslims are simply playing the victim? We had some Muslims kill a Christian due to rumours as well (Which made the press, and more press outlets than Al Jazeera) - According to your logic, Christians are also playing victims?

Ok I don't have time for this right now. I was trying to make a long winded point on how Muslims are held to lower standards by society and the media than Hindus which is the reason for the publicity of this incident and the lack of publicity in incidents regarding Muslims accusing a austisitic mental challenged girl of malliously burning a Koran then getting of Scot free when there is no evidence found. No one reported this. So that's your lesson, if you disagree I cannot reply until tomorrow.
Reply 18
Original post by Zargabaath
Is there any actual scripture in the Vedas or whatever that advises not to eat beef? I'm sure it's one of those things that is just passed on from generation to generation without really being thought about too much.

The problem with this case and with many like it is that these people are not educated. They're quite literally simple villagers. They don't really value human life in the way that we do. This combined with the tension between Muslims and the other religions in India leads to outbursts like these. But the problem is that a lot of the tension between groups in India is religious and if the country wants to move forward, it needs to remove the influence religion has on all aspects of life.

The ritualistic parts of the Vedas have beef eating within them, but the later more philosophical parts of the Vedas merely ADVISE against all forms of meat.

In the whole of the Hindu religion, there are no rules that are binding on someone. Hindus are free to accept or reject anything depending on their likes/rationality etc.
The Yajur Veda contains a verse which says "Accept that which you like and reject what you don't".

One of the biggest issues here though is that Hindus are notoriously bad at reading their own scriptures unlike people of other religions.
About 90% of Hindus have never read even 1 of the 4 Vedas.

About only 30% of Hindus would have read the Bhagavad Gita which is arguably the most popular Hindu scripture. Even in the Gita, one is given the freedom to reject its teachings: "Thus the profoundest secrets have been explained to you by Me. After fully reflecting on this, do as you wish." (18.63)

Most of the social evils in India today prevalent amongst the Hindus are actually spoken against in the scriptures of authority (like caste, gender issues etc.), but they continue partly because of what you said - passed on without being thought about.
Original post by nucdev
The ritualistic parts of the Vedas have beef eating within them, but the later more philosophical parts of the Vedas merely ADVISE against all forms of meat.

In the whole of the Hindu religion, there are no rules that are binding on someone. Hindus are free to accept or reject anything depending on their likes/rationality etc.
The Yajur Veda contains a verse which says "Accept that which you like and reject what you don't".

One of the biggest issues here though is that Hindus are notoriously bad at reading their own scriptures unlike people of other religions.
About 90% of Hindus have never read even 1 of the 4 Vedas.

About only 30% of Hindus would have read the Bhagavad Gita which is arguably the most popular Hindu scripture. Even in the Gita, one is given the freedom to reject its teachings: "Thus the profoundest secrets have been explained to you by Me. After fully reflecting on this, do as you wish." (18.63)

Most of the social evils in India today prevalent amongst the Hindus are actually spoken against in the scriptures of authority (like caste, gender issues etc.), but they continue partly because of what you said - passed on without being thought about.

This is one of the things that bugs me the most about most modern Hindus, too much emphasis is put on simply following what your parents and their parents did instead of actually reading for yourself and making your own decisions. While I wouldn't call myself a Hindu, I think there's a lot of good stuff in Hindu scripture compared to other religions, it's quite frustrating to see so many people who claim to follow it completely ignore and go against what's actually written in it. Especially when other religions have problems with people following the religion too closely.

Latest

Trending

Trending