The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vikingkermit
Hi, can anyone suggest another uni to try. I'm going to apply to Keele, Leicester and Glasgow. (All 5 year) Not sure where else to apply, are there any 4 year courses that I might stand a chance with?
I got 2600 on the UKCAT breakdown,
I've got a 2:1 honours degree in Adult Nursing and NO A levels.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

your UKCAT is not really competitive enough for the 4-year courses and I think the non-exam 4-years normally need A-levels. Sorry.
Original post by neuronerd
sorry but that's not correct. Lots of uni's accept any degree topic including Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton. There are plenty of others I just cba to look them up as it is not relevant to me (I have a science degree)

Absolutely- I have a classics degree and I've just started GEM at Southampton!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackraven
can someone else confirm this? I tried to do it and it wasn't possible. Plus, the last time I applied to medical school, I didn't have to do it

Original post by HanaGEM
I was surprised by this, so i googled it, the general consensus was that you didnt need to, theres a whole thread on here about it but i cant renember where now

Original post by Clunkles
You don't have to do it. You enter your choices on the UKCAT website and they take care of it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tweet is below and I contacted them directly as there was nothing on their website in regards to this and they confirmed it.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sngm4t
https://twitter.com/ucas_online/status/646283141020315648

"You'll need to include the UKCAT in the education section of the application. Whilst true that your choices will receive your results, they'll also need to see that you're registered to take the test *HC"
I'm now confused about how to add the UKCAT to my UCAS form. So I graduated in June, but took the UKCAT in September. Do I still put the UKCAT under my uni in the education section? It just seems weird because I'm not still there and I didn't do it there and it's after my graduation date? I might message UCAS, but I already messaged them earlier with a stupid question and I don't want them thinking I'm an idiot.
Original post by Ebuwa
The tweet is below and I contacted them directly as there was nothing on their website in regards to this and they confirmed it.

"You'll need to include the UKCAT in the education section of the application. Whilst true that your choices will receive your results, they'll also need to see that you're registered to take the test *HC"

Looks like I'm not getting in then, given ive sent it off.
#lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebuwa

Thanks for sharing, do you know how we add it?
#lol

I'm sure it'll be fine, I imagine that a lot of people will have done the same (I almost did!) and they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll contact you to check? Plus there's conflicting information.
Original post by SummerSunshine
I'm sure it'll be fine, I imagine that a lot of people will have done the same (I almost did!) and they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll contact you to check? Plus there's conflicting information.

I agree there is conflicting information, they could have made it clearer. I think the most important thing is giving UKCAT your UCAS personal ID and university choices.
People who have previously applied- did you put UKCAT in your education section of UCAS?
#lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about it, this was nowhere on the UKCAT information. Your results will be delivered fine, as they have your PID.
Original post by liam__
People who have previously applied- did you put UKCAT in your education section of UCAS?

Nope, once you got your UKCAT score, there was no need to anything further in previous years.

Think I need to give UCAS a call since I've sent my application off and not added UKCAT in my education section.
Original post by JenniB22
Absolutely- I have a classics degree and I've just started GEM at Southampton!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on getting into GEM. If you dont mind me asking what was your ukcat score? I got 695 and think i will struggle.
Reply 2532
I rang Glasgow Monday to see if my degree meant I didn't need a levels (which thankfully it does). I also asked about the ukcat. Last year the lowest successful applicant got 2630. I got 2600 this year and she said that might be enough depending on other peoples scores.

Does anyone know if this is true of any other universities? I've got a 1st in biochemistry but i'd never studied chemistry prior to my degree.

If no one knows, I'll do some emailing/calling tomorrow and update with my findings.
Original post by nickname_esco
Congrats on getting into GEM. If you dont mind me asking what was your ukcat score? I got 695 and think i will struggle.

I had 815. Wait and see what the deciles are like this year, because it does always change, but to be completely honest I think 695 will be too low for Southampton :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had 815. Wait and see what the deciles are like this year, because it does always change, but to be completely honest I think 695 will be too low for Southampton :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cool. Thanks for the reply and honest opinion. Will wait for friday before deciding places.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For undergrad too? I have a score of 690 band 2. Too low for Newcastle, kings and Southampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tanishqa
For undergrad too? I have a score of 690 band 2. Too low for Newcastle, kings and Southampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That will be a good score for undergrad. Graduate entry has much higher thresholds.
Anyone know what to put on UCAS under "Student support fee code" for financing. Currently for year 1 we need to pay around 3k ourselves and the remainer is a loan from student finance england.

So would i be right in putting the code "2" down with stands for "student finance services"
Adult Nursing, the stipulation is that your 1st degree needs to have enough chemistry involved in it. :-/

I'm an adult nurse too !!! Good luck ... My ukcat wasn't as great as I hoped for.. Got 2660 :frown: fingers crossed tho :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Did anyone else get an email today for Pearson Vue saying we need to email our UCAS id to them so they can contact our unis?

I have applied twice and both times this wasn't necessary!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending