The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuronerd
what about leicester's 5-year course. (we have similar application profiles so I've looked at some options)

A lot of the points for leicester are gcse and alevel ...
Original post by neuronerd
gamsat.jpg

GAMSAT score percentiles: 2015 at top, 2014 middle, 2013 bottom. I hope you can see the reason I'm expecting a drop in scores (but it may not happen of course!)

60 or even below If we're lucky, but you never know with all the different ways they calculate averages :/
Hey guys, I'm in need for some help.
Ive got an average of 695 in the UKCAT. a levels - AABb (bio, chem, maths and philosophy)
Have not done BMAT or GAMSAT. what are my best options??

Im currently looking at parts, newcastle, southampton and warwick... :/
Original post by eemooz
Hey guys, I'm in need for some help.
Ive got an average of 695 in the UKCAT. a levels - AABb (bio, chem, maths and philosophy)
Have not done BMAT or GAMSAT. what are my best options??

Im currently looking at parts, newcastle, southampton and warwick... :/

Honestly, I don't think your UKCAT is high enough for Southampton or Newcastle :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yikes, that's terrible. I'm in an almost-similar situation in that my boss still hasn't done my reference, but pretty sure she will although it will not doubt happen on Thursday afternoon when I'll be having multiple panic attacks.

You may have already done this (and this is assuming you can't find anyone else to be referee), but is it worth politely explaining the situation, i.e. that there is a hard deadline for you of 6pm on 15 October and her reference needs to be in before then or else you cannot submit? I think if she has already agreed to give you a reference, the least she can do is follow through and write something basic, which won't take very long. Give her a PDF of the guidance for referees (from UCAS website) and maybe pull together some extra points for her to include for GEM courses. That is, try to make it as easy as possible for her, so she knows what she needs to cover!

I would also suggest speaking to her face to face or by telephone, she would have to be a pretty mean-spirited person to say to your face that she can't find 30 minutes to write you a brief reference this week.

Good luck!

My referee is currently in Sweden otherwise believe me I would have been at her door. Can I use an employment referee? Already spoke to my manager and she's happy to do it, does it make a difference to the application, been two years since I left uni anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2745
Original post by pharma21
My referee is currently in Sweden otherwise believe me I would have been at her door. Can I use an employment referee? Already spoke to my manager and she's happy to do it, does it make a difference to the application, been two years since I left uni anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm using a work reference, don't think it really matters for GEM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice as I'm well and truly stuck!

I'm thinking of choosing Barts and Warwick but then can't decide on my last two out of Newcastle, Southampton and Kings (all 4 year). My UKCAT is 737.5 average. I really liked Newcastle so will probably apply there even though they have a very high UKCAT requirement so it's really between Kings and Southampton but I'm scared that my UKCAT might just be on the edge of high enough/not enough.

I did the GAMSAT this year but pretty sure it went badly. I'm too scared to apply to GAMSAT Unis not knowing what that score is. I have a 1st class MSci in Natural Sciences. I would apply to Birmingham but got rejected after interview there last year :frown: so am not eligible to reapply.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.
Hey guys,
I am very worried, I predict a degree in Biomedical Science 2.1, but my Alevel are low, I ukcat 580 ... I would like to apply for the course of five years, where I can apply? I thought Warwick, Durham, Dundee, Glasgow?? Help me please
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pharma21
Yikes, that's terrible. I'm in an almost-similar situation in that my boss still hasn't done my reference, but pretty sure she will although it will not doubt happen on Thursday afternoon when I'll be having multiple panic attacks.

You may have already done this (and this is assuming you can't find anyone else to be referee), but is it worth politely explaining the situation, i.e. that there is a hard deadline for you of 6pm on 15 October and her reference needs to be in before then or else you cannot submit? I think if she has already agreed to give you a reference, the least she can do is follow through and write something basic, which won't take very long. Give her a PDF of the guidance for referees (from UCAS website) and maybe pull together some extra points for her to include for GEM courses. That is, try to make it as easy as possible for her, so she knows what she needs to cover!

I would also suggest speaking to her face to face or by telephone, she would have to be a pretty mean-spirited person to say to your face that she can't find 30 minutes to write you a brief reference this week.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work reference is definitely fine, especially if you are two years out of uni! I am doing a manager reference, as uni was quite a few years ago and would be pointless/impossible to obtain.
Original post by Medyapp
Hey guys,
I am very worried, I predict a degree in Biomedical Science 2.1, but my Alevel are low, I ukcat 580 ... I would like to apply for the course of five years, where I can apply? I thought Warwick, Durham, Dundee, Glasgow?? Help me please

Wawrick don't do a five year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Wawrick don't do a five year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry and What do you think about the other 5 years and Warrick 4 years?
Hi can someone pls tell me asap for ucas if we are grad do we enter individual module grades for alevels?thanks
Original post by Medyapp
Sorry and What do you think about the other 5 years and Warrick 4 years?

Did you say your ukcat was 587??

I'm sorry, I don't want to be too blunt, but that ukcat wouldn't stand a chance for graduate entry. They are looking for 700+ averaged. You best shot is with five year scores that don't focus heavily on ukcat.

What are you're other academics like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous7654321
Hi can someone pls tell me asap for ucas if we are grad do we enter individual module grades for alevels?thanks

I didn't last year or this year. I put module marks for uni though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't last year or this year. I put module marks for uni though

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for your reply all your modules from 1st year to final year at uni?
Original post by kantayya
Work reference is definitely fine, especially if you are two years out of uni! I am doing a manager reference, as uni was quite a few years ago and would be pointless/impossible to obtain.

Original post by B1525
I'm using a work reference, don't think it really matters for GEM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both, that's a lot of stress relieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you say your ukcat was 587??

I'm sorry, I don't want to be too blunt, but that ukcat wouldn't stand a chance for graduate entry. They are looking for 700+ averaged. You best shot is with five year scores that don't focus heavily on ukcat.

What are you're other academics like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Italian and my Diploma di Stato is very low, I'm not Alevel and in this moment I study Biomedical science and my prediction is 2.1.....
I have some possibilities?
Hi

Sorry for posting this again I'm just not sure where else to find the answer. Do I need to put my degree classification (i.e 2:1) down in my personal statement are can the uni's find it somewhere else?

Thanks
Original post by knight93
Hi

Sorry for posting this again I'm just not sure where else to find the answer. Do I need to put my degree classification (i.e 2:1) down in my personal statement are can the uni's find it somewhere else?

Thanks

It needs to be in your education section of UCAS
Sent it off!

Do you have to wait for a confirmation email from them confirming your personal ID before putting in on Pearson VUE? Cos mine changed last year?

So scary sending it off you always feel like you've done something wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending