The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GradMed1234
Hello!

Just signed up today (hence the very original username) to facilitate the obsessing and worrying that is likely to occur over the next few months...

I'm a pharmacology graduate (graduated in 2013 with a low 2:1), who has just applied for all graduate courses (because I, quite frankly, don't **** money) at KCL, Barts, Southampton (last minute change from Newcastle- possibly an error?) and Warwick. My UKCAT score was 3020, band 1.

Have I done this introduction thing right? Was it even necessary?

Anyway, best of luck to everyone! Look forward to seeing how we all get on...

Hello, welcome to the thread! Congratulations on your very good UKCAT score! :smile:
Just curious, what academics and experience do those of you who apply to Cambridge have? Given the absence of an admissions exam it is not so predictable who will be shortlisted for interviews (only 70 out of 400-500).
Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Just curious, what academics and experience do those of you who apply to Cambridge have? Given the absence of an admissions exam it is not so predictable who will be shortlisted for interviews (only 70 out of 400-500).

1st in Medical Science with Professional Training
A*AAB (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively) at A-level
Work full-time as a HCA
Spent 9 months as a paediatric research assistant
Previously done ward volunteering and a little bit of experience in a pathology department.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

79% in my nursing degree.
Spanis school grades equivalent to A*A*A for A levels
1 year and a half of full time working experience as a nurse (2 and a half by the start of the course

In last six months of a PhD in paediatric translational research at a children's hospital.
1st in Genetics degree.
AAA (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) at A-level.
Few months in a paediatric histology department, observing dissections, shadowing in an interventional radiology department, MDTs etc.
Few years volunteering with a hospital scout group.

What about you? :smile:
I received an email from the administration team at Kings. They said that they aimed to hold interviews for the GEM course on the 8th and 11th January.
Original post by Alexdaman93
Have Kings said when their interview dates will be for 2016 entry?
I've - optimistically! - got them in my diary for Soton, Warwick, and Cambridge, but can't find dates for KCL.
Reply 2926
Had a close call - just managed to fix my application in time. I emailed GKT to double check that a degree in engineering counted as a science, not really expecting the answer to be no so wasn't desperately refreshing my email for a reply. They got back to me this afternoon saying that unless it had more than 50% chemistry content it would not be eligible. Read the email about an hour ago and luckily UCAS didn't have lots of people applying at the last minute, so I managed to substitute that choice.
Original post by KirstieW
Original post by macarenafc92

Original post by nature_elf

Your experiences sound amazing! :smile:

I guess my strengths are more academic than practical, graduated as top of my class from my undergrad (science) and had the full score in the Italian equivalent of A levels, but I only started recently with my HCA job. Not so confident about Cambridge but I thought I might give it a go as I already have 3 UKCAT unis :smile:

So my work experience is full-time HCA, one month in a rural African clinic, 9 months patient experience volunteer, some shadowing experience in private practices, hospital wards, and a humble one week in a caring home which was my first ever work experience. :smile:

Where have you applied to as your UKCAT unis?
Original post by unfinisheduserna
I received an email from the administration team at Kings. They said that they aimed to hold interviews for the GEM course on the 8th and 11th January.

Argh, potential clash with Warwick there! :s-smilie:
Original post by Alexdaman93
Where have you applied to as your UKCAT unis?

Warwick, Barts, King's! :smile:
What about you?
(edited 8 years ago)
after a series of mishaps, including a damaged computer, an unreachable referee and a bad internet connection, i submitted my ucas application for cambridge one minute late. am i doomed?
Hey guys!

I've applied to Barts, KCL, Warwick and Southampton.

Good luck to you all! :biggrin:
Original post by jamesreyns
after a series of mishaps, including a damaged computer, an unreachable referee and a bad internet connection, i submitted my ucas application for cambridge one minute late. am i doomed?

I really want to say you're not doomed, but I'm not sure! It's worth calling UCAS to ask...
Original post by christyriot
Hey guys!

I've applied to Barts, KCL, Warwick and Southampton.

Good luck to you all! :biggrin:

I've applied to the exact same unis, hope to see you at interviews!
Original post by LilithSternin
I remember you from biomedical sciences threads three years ago, how the time has flown! Where are you applying? :smile:

Hahahaha heyy :smile: I'm applying to kings and qmul for both their gem and undergrad coursess. Are you applying to gem as well this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2936
Original post by wciselko
are you talking about kings? they said a mathematics degree counted as a science to me.

I was. Sorry, I was talking specifically about my engineering degree. They said 'hard core sciences' such as Chemistry, Physics and Maths were fine, as were life sciences. All other science degrees require at least 50% of the course to be chemistry content.
Original post by Albert95
Hahahaha heyy :smile: I'm applying to kings and qmul for both their gem and undergrad coursess. Are you applying to gem as well this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am yes! King's, Bart's, Warwick and Newcastle all for GEM :smile:
Original post by sampowell92
I've applied to the exact same unis, hope to see you at interviews!

Haha! Awesome! I hope to see you too! :smile:
Original post by wciselko
same as me. what your ukcat? :biggrin:

Woo! :tongue: 740 with 680 in VR, so hopefully I've got decent chance Warwick at least... Yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending