The Student Room Group

quick question

really don't get the light compensation point

question is:

The light compensation point (LCP) is defined as the light intensity at which the amount of CO2 absorbed in photosynthesis equals that released in respiration. The LCP for 3 woodland species is shown below, the average LCP for plants in this woodland is 1150 lux.

Species LCP

A 2000
B 350
C 900

state and explain which of these species:
i) normally grows in bright sunlight (2 marks)
i answered this one but not sure:
A has the highest LCP, meaning it requires more light for the rates of photosynthesis and respiration to be equal, so it needs to live in bright sunlight in order to reach that stage

ii) has leaves with the highest chlorophyll content
don't get this one^

halp?
Reply 1
hallo?
Reply 2
Original post by z33
really don't get the light compensation point

question is:

The light compensation point (LCP) is defined as the light intensity at which the amount of CO2 absorbed in photosynthesis equals that released in respiration. The LCP for 3 woodland species is shown below, the average LCP for plants in this woodland is 1150 lux.

Species LCP

A 2000
B 350
C 900

state and explain which of these species:
i) normally grows in bright sunlight (2 marks)
i answered this one but not sure:
A has the highest LCP, meaning it requires more light for the rates of photosynthesis and respiration to be equal, so it needs to live in bright sunlight in order to reach that stage

ii) has leaves with the highest chlorophyll content
don't get this one^

halp?

Haven't learn about LCP o.oer. But I think you're right. It makes sense that if a plant has a high LCP they'd need more sunlight to survive.

As for ii) I'm assuming it's B. It has the lowest LCP meaning that it requires the least amount of sunlight to maintain a rate of photosynthesis equal to that of respiration. It can do this because it has the highest chlorophyll density to maximise light capture.
Reply 3
Original post by RMNDK
Haven't learn about LCP o.oer. But I think you're right. It makes sense that if a plant has a high LCP they'd need more sunlight to survive.

As for ii) I'm assuming it's B. It has the lowest LCP meaning that it requires the least amount of sunlight to maintain a rate of photosynthesis equal to that of respiration. It can do this because it has the highest chlorophyll density to maximise light capture.

yeah me neither :/ but it's an exam question apparently

that makes sense though! thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending