The Student Room Group

Do you pronounce Frances like Francis?

^^^
Yeah, I always thought they were pronounced the same.
Reply 2
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, I always thought they were pronounced the same.

I always thought it was pronounced like Francies for some reason.
Reply 3
Um, personally no. - I say Frances like 'Fr-arrhhhn-ciss' and Francis like 'Fran-ciss.' Is there a right way of pronouncing the two names¿
:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Anon_98
Um, personally no. - I say Frances like 'Fr-arrhhhn-ciss' and Francis like 'Fran-ciss.' Is there a right way of pronouncing the two names¿
:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're the same name, the difference is the genders: E for an 'er and I for an 'im.

Source: my middle name is Francis, named after my grandmother Frances.
Reply 5
Original post by Tootles
They're the same name, the difference is the genders: E for an 'er and I for an 'im.

Source: my middle name is Francis, named after my grandmother Frances.

Oh gosh, yes ofc. >.< I've absolutely no idea why I've been pronouncing them differently then.:erm: Thank you for explaining. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Anon_98
Oh gosh, yes ofc. >.< I've absolutely no idea why I've been pronouncing them differently then.:erm: Thank you for explaining. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's one of those things you're not going to know if you've not had occasion to find out :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Tootles
It's one of those things you're not going to know if you've not had occasion to find out :h:

XD Hmm...I guess you're right. :h: - That makes me feel a little better about not knowing. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If im reading them out while looking at them i pronounce them differently, if i was just talking i would probably pronounce them the same
Yes, you pronounce them the same

Just so long as you spell it right, I don't think anyone will mind!!

Quick Reply

Latest