The Student Room Group

PAT: 4th November 2015

Hey!

I'm pretty nervous though it's still 15 days away x_x What about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Hell yeah......how's your prep?
Original post by SamLLLLiu
Hell yeah......how's your prep?

Not much so far! I have CIE boards going on right now so I know the content of AS and A2 Physics/Maths but that's it. How about you?
Original post by theonetruequeen
Hey!

Same here, but I've been preparing since a couple of months ago so I'm pretty chill about Section A rn :smile:
It'll be fine... pass mark is pretty low and we've finished all of C3/C4

im just gonna do all the past papers to become familiar with the exam style and revise some general maths / physics
Not much so far! I have CIE boards going on right now so I know the content of AS and A2 Physics/Maths but that's it. How about you?

Same here.....went through the physics textbook a few times now......
Original post by 雷尼克
It'll be fine... pass mark is pretty low and we've finished all of C3/C4

im just gonna do all the past papers to become familiar with the exam style and revise some general maths / physics

Same, that's what I'll probably do as well.

Since I do CIE, I'm not really familiar with C3/C4. Could you tell me what topics are in it so I can see if there's something extra I need to do?

Also, what's the passing mark/average mark of the PAT?
Original post by SamLLLLiu
Same here.....went through the physics textbook a few times now......

What board are you on for Physics?
What board are you on for Physics?

AQA

Since I do CIE, I'm not really familiar with C3/C4. Could you tell me what topics are in it so I can see if there's something extra I need to do?

From the past papers, the passing mark generally ranges between mid 50s to mid 60s and the average mark around 6~7 marks lower than this. To be completely safe, you should do 70 something / 100 in the past papers c:

Also the PAT test is more similar to A Level Math & Physics than the IB counterpart, so you should be fine.

I went to the open day they say that you need around 60% for a decent chance, but people got in with as low as 45%.

And C3/C4 involving slightly more advanced trigonometry, harder integration and binomial expansion
Original post by 雷尼克
I went to the open day they say that you need around 60% for a decent chance, but people got in with as low as 45%.

And C3/C4 involving slightly more advanced trigonometry, harder integration and binomial expansion

Okay wow. I didn't know it was that hard.

Thanks! Can I look at exact topics somewhere online to compare with CIE P3 syllabus?
Original post by hermionegrangcr
From the past papers, the passing mark generally ranges between mid 50s to mid 60s and the average mark around 6~7 marks lower than this. To be completely safe, you should do 70 something / 100 in the past papers c:

Also the PAT test is more similar to A Level Math & Physics than the IB counterpart, so you should be fine.

Thanks!!

I did read about a guy who applied to St Catz engineering with 40-ish in the maths section and like 25 in the Physics one - he didn't get in.
I don't even know what to do. I know the content but I don't understand the questions!! I read the mark scheme and I'm like... Oh, I could've gotten that easily! But I'm struggling so much!
Original post by ChronicBoredom
I don't even know what to do. I know the content but I don't understand the questions!! I read the mark scheme and I'm like... Oh, I could've gotten that easily! But I'm struggling so much!

I just did the sample paper and I found the first section pretty easy, but the physics part :frown: I never did GCSEs so there's a lot of stuff I don't really know such as optical fibres and stuff like that. I probably have something like 2 days before the exam to study though, what with my ongoing board exams!
Reply 15
Hey!

FINALLY AN ACTIVE THREAD :biggrin:

PAT 2010 made me feel more confident but then I looked at the pass mark. :burnout:
Original post by ombtom
FINALLY AN ACTIVE THREAD :biggrin:

PAT 2010 made me feel more confident but then I looked at the pass mark. :burnout:

Yeah, I thought it was high time we physics/engineering applicants had one :tongue:

I feel quite unsure doing the older PAT papers since they're so different in their pattern. Not to mention my brain automatically switches off when it comes to MCQs :frown: Why is it that our year is the one they changed the paper pattern?! Why not last year or the year before that?!
Reply 17
Yeah, I thought it was high time we physics/engineering applicants had one :tongue:

I feel quite unsure doing the older PAT papers since they're so different in their pattern. Not to mention my brain automatically switches off when it comes to MCQs :frown: Why is it that our year is the one they changed the paper pattern?! Why not last year or the year before that?!

I'm quite happy with the changes the long questions were too easy to get lost on. :frown:
Original post by ombtom
I'm quite happy with the changes the long questions were too easy to get lost on. :frown:

Can't disagree with that.

What are you applying for?
Reply 19
Can't disagree with that.

What are you applying for?

Guess. :tongue:

Spoiler

Anyone else applying to Merton?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending