The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by halal kebab5
Pakistanis are not arab and are not indian, we are pakistanis and thats all.

Which is a type of desi...

I'm about desi pride, trust fam
Reply 21
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
ITT: 'My great great...great grandad was a 6'5 Arabian warlord king, I am not desi, I am not Indian'

'I'm an Arab'
Which is a type of desi...

I'm about desi pride, trust fam

yeah its desi but we are not indian, like bengalis are not indian but still desi
Reply 23
Original post by justinetsr
I actually think Rajasthan has more in common with Tamil Nadu than Pakistan.

Then you've clearly not been to these places.

The diversity in India reminds me of the Europe.

Good. The diversity within the Indian subcontinent (Indian, Pakistan,Bangladesh) is probably more than Europe. Doesn't stop all these countries being closely linked with one another.

Greece has far more in common with Spain than it does with Turkey.

Have you been to any of these countries? The national psych in Greece is pretty much the same as that of Turkey, with just a few cosmetic differences (namely language and religion).

Pakistan uses an Arabic/Persian script. Surely that would make them Middle Eastern?

Deceive yourself all you want. Arabs ain't going to accept you as Middle Eastern. Truth hurts I know.

Morocco uses the Arabic script, but is quite happy without the desperate desire to be "Middle Eastern".

Tell me, are your family 'saeed'? And I guess they were born in the Punjab right (not these weak and feeble Sindhis)

India was only united with Pakistan by the Mughals (Sino-Turks). The concept of "India" itself is a western idea, invented by Persians.

Yep, a lot of today's nation states are a reflection of what outsiders did a long time ago.
yeah its desi but we are not indian, like bengalis are not indian but still desi

Yeah ok this much is true, but ethnically, there is very little separating Pakistanis from Indians. I've heard loads of Pakistani guys going crazy claiming that Pakistanis are closer to Arabs (hardcore begging it) which is simply false, Bengalis look slightly different in my experience, shorter and have more East Asian looking eyes, but I think they are cool.
Reply 25
pakistanis are pakistanis, we are not indians and we never were so any indian tryna say we were one country well guess what the whole world was one god damn country at some point, and pakistan is a diverse country with punjab pakistanis on the East, north west frontier which has alot of afghan influence, and sindh/balochistan with a lot of persian influence

Yep, the Indian subcontinent is very diverse, and guess what, Pakistan is part of it.
Original post by Onde
The area now known as Pakistan was historically part of India for thousands of years in terms of shared culture and history. It was only in 1947 that Pakistan gained independence from what is defined as the modern nation state of India. The Pakistan state is basically defined as distinct from Indian because of its identity as an Islamic state...that was messily put together during the mass migrations during Partition.

The area knows as india was historically part of Pakistan a few thousand years ago
Original post by Onde
The area now known as Pakistan was historically part of India for thousands of years in terms of shared culture and history. It was only in 1947 that Pakistan gained independence from what is defined as the modern nation state of India. The Pakistan state is basically defined as distinct from Indian because of its identity as an Islamic state...that was messily put together during the mass migrations during Partition.

Exactly.

Given the amount of Indians who converted to Islam even living in the South of India who traveled North to the newly formed state of Pakistan, it's pretty obvious there are very little ethnic differences. Human evolution doesn't happen this fast
Yeah ok this much is true, but ethnically, there is very little separating Pakistanis from Indians. I've heard loads of Pakistani guys going crazy claiming that Pakistanis are closer to Arabs (hardcore begging it) which is simply false, Bengalis look slightly different in my experience, shorter and have more East Asian looking eyes, but I think they are cool.

i dont know what pakistani guys your talking too but ive seen one too many indian guys begging it off Pakistanis
Original post by Onde
Pretty sure Pakistan is a 20th century concept.

So is India
The area knows as india was historically part of Pakistan a few thousand years ago

Loool

Cannot tell if baiting or just insecure, the Indian subcontinent was a collection of kingdoms, there was no Pakistani empire which conquered Indian lol
The thread is so jokes

The only South Asians who seem not to fall under this cultural bracket are Afghans and Iranians.
Reply 32
Original post by Onde

What's also interesting is that Kabul has always wanted closer relations with Delhi over Islamabad. This has always pi**ed Islamabad off, hence why they were so happy (and supportive) of the Taliban, and so cheesed off then it was ousted (and Kabul again started favouring Delhi)
Reply 33
i dont know what pakistani guys your talking too but ive seen one too many indian guys begging it off Pakistanis

lol
The thread is so jokes

The only South Asians who seem not to fall under this cultural bracket are Afghans and Iranians.

pakistans national anthem is in farsi which shows persian influence, the complete north west frontier speak pashto/hindko and mostly afghan migrants who also speak farsi, the only part of pakistan related to india is punjab
pakistans national anthem is in farsi which shows persian influence, the complete north west frontier speak pashto/hindko and mostly afghan migrants who also speak farsi, the only part of pakistan related to india is punjab

Stop begging it

It's Urdu man
Reply 36
We have different face shapes. We have vastly different cultures.

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

:lolwut:

You have similar languages
Same history
Same food
Same clothes

It doesn't get more similar than that... I thought the only thing pakistani's have in common with middle easterners is their religion? :curious:
(edited 8 years ago)
Being Indian personally I don't think we vastly differ in appearances. When I went to an Open day I was called Pakistani by a bunch of girls who themselves were Pakistani, so I mean...if they couldn't see the difference in appearance then I don't know who can!

I don't think Pakistani people look middle eastern, they most definitely look more Indian than middle eastern. That's my observation anyway.

Lol but why the huge need to separate your self from the South Asian/Indian label, it was once the same country....:rolleyes: (tbf that answers your question as to why our ethnicities get mixed up).
(edited 8 years ago)
Stop begging it

It's Urdu man

stop begging it and learn something before you type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JtVTTMU2A
Reply 39
pakistans national anthem is in farsi which shows persian influence

Someone doesn't know their history.

The Pakistani national anthem is in Urdu. The anthem was chosen hastily in the early 50s when Pakistan was without a national anthem and the head of state of Iran was soon to visit. The lyrics were chosen so as to be understandable to Farsi/Persian speakers (Farsi/Persian and Urdu/Hindi having sufficiently similar loan words for this to be possible)

Anyway, you just highlighted another example of Pakistanis begging it off Middle Easterners: choosing a national anthem to impress them and show how "similar we all are"

the complete north west frontier speak pashto/hindko and mostly afghan migrants who also speak farsi, the only part of pakistan related to india is punjab

Yeah so Pakistan is diverse. So is India. Which makes the Indian subcontinent (within which both India and Pakistan exist) very diverse

Latest