The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheGuyReturns
They don't accept their ancestry because you're just outright wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Pakistan
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Pakistan_ethnic_map.svg/2050px-Pakistan_ethnic_map.svg.png

As I've said in a previous post

"Because people from the well off areas of Pakistan (areas from which most Pakistanis emigrate from) (Punjab, Sindh) are definitely a lot closer ethnically to Indians, than Afghans/Iranians (who westerners like op lump with "Arabs" )"

Pakistan is very diverse.

I already edited my post and said "at least those from Sindh/Punjab".
Pakistanis and Indians definitely aren't strictly the same people. Indians generally don't have Balochis, Pashtuns, Kalashis, Hindkowans, Hazaras, Seraikis, Potwaris, all those ethnic groups in Gilgit Baltistan whose name I can't remember.
Similarly Pakistanis don't have lots of the ethnic groups found in India.
Nevertheless, Pakistanis are more similar to Indians than to any other nationality.
Original post by nucdev
Most Pakistani Muslims have got to be one of the few groups of people worldwide who simply hate their ancestry and probably aren't even willing to acknowledge it.

About 80-90% of their ancestors were Hindus of Hindustan (north India) and yet just to distance themselves from their cousins (the Hindus of Hindustan), they would rather think of themselves as Arabs/Persians - the very Arab/Turk/Persian invaders who looted, killed, tortured and raped the inhabitants of Hindustan.

halal kebab5 probably thinks I am some sort of Hindu nationalist trolling him, but what I think is such nonsense is this sense of hatred, of trying to feel superior, even though these are your own people you are hating.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm not arab / middle eastern so no flattery is necessary, I'm just stating an observation I've made lol.

For example, I know a Pakistani guy who kept on calling himself Kenyan because his mother was born there? I specified wanting to know his origin but he wouldn't stop calling himself Kenyan. :s-smilie: I made it quite clear that I wanted to know where his roots were, not his nationality (plus, he's not Kenyan he's British.)

But hey, whatever floats the boat of those who say it. Just remember to love yourself.

Haha that's like my parents, they're both born in Kenya so they strictly identify themselves as that. Thanks for the reminder.
regardless of our face shape, color of our skin, religious beliefs and nationality, we all belong to the human race. let us be friendly to one another and respect each other's cultures and traditions. only then can we progress as a society.
Why does it matter, people will be ignorant till the end of the world. People still walk around saying "You're Indian right? Naah im Pakistani... oh well same thing right LMFAO ahaha" -> Ignorance. Some people don't realise they're being disrespectful. But I can't comprehend why YOU don't want to accept that you're South Asian. I don't know about Pakastani history, so I won't say anything on that. All I see is someone who isn't proud of what they are. You're Pakistani --- so? Is there something wrong with that? There's nothing wrong with it, you just feel like associating yourself with Arabs like that makes you popular or something... Pakistan is next door to India, why are you acting like Pakistan is in Africa and being associated with a Asian country? And so what, there's nothing wrong with India either.
Reply 86
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'm not arab / middle eastern so no flattery is necessary, I'm just stating an observation I've made lol.

For example, I know a Pakistani guy who kept on calling himself Kenyan because his mother was born there? I specified wanting to know his origin but he wouldn't stop calling himself Kenyan. :s-smilie: I made it quite clear that I wanted to know where his roots were, not his nationality (plus, he's not Kenyan he's British.)

But hey, whatever floats the boat of those who say it. Just remember to love yourself.

To be fair, this is quite common of people from all sort of ethnicities in Africa. Many people of European ancestry will call themselves Zimbabweans or South Africans. And people of Indian ancestry in East Africa do often call themselves African. A success of African integrationalist policies!
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
halal kebab5 probably thinks I am some sort of Hindu nationalist trolling him, but what I think is such nonsense is this sense of hatred, of trying to feel superior, even though these are your own people you are hating.

you should go back and read both mine and your comments, im stating facts about my country whilst you are bringing up all sorts of ****, i think the only one whos hating is you, stop hating pakistanis, and stop begging it off hindu boys.
Reply 88
Original post by Ravenous
Pakistanis and Indians definitely aren't strictly the same people. Indians generally don't have Balochis, Pashtuns, Kalashis, Hindkowans, Hazaras, Seraikis, Potwaris, all those ethnic groups in Gilgit Baltistan whose name I can't remember.
Similarly Pakistanis don't have lots of the ethnic groups found in India.
Nevertheless, Pakistanis are more similar to Indians than to any other nationality.

I wouldn't say the latter is true.

Azerbaijanis and Turkish people are much more similar

Syrians and Iraqis are much more similar

Australians and New Zealanders are much more similar

Swedes and Norwegians are much more similar

I could go on
Reply 89
Original post by halal kebab5
you should go back and read both mine and your comments, im stating facts about my country whilst you are bringing up all sorts of ****, i think the only one whos hating is you, stop hating pakistanis, and stop begging it off hindu boys.

You're not stating facts about Pakistan, you are stating things that are quite frankly wrong (national anthem being the biggest howler amongst the host of things you've been called up on)
Original post by Rat_Bag
You're not stating facts about Pakistan, you are stating things that are quite frankly wrong (national anthem being the biggest howler amongst the host of things you've been called up on)

okay Mr Wikipedia

[video="youtube;eBI23_Sjfeo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBI23_Sjfeo[/video]

calm your tits
Mate, was there really a need for this thread...
Original post by Rat_Bag
I wouldn't say the latter is true.

Azerbaijanis and Turkish people are much more similar

Syrians and Iraqis are much more similar

Australians and New Zealanders are much more similar

Swedes and Norwegians are much more similar

I could go on

I meant Pakiatanis are more similar to Indians than they are to other nationalities e.g Afghans or Iranians.
okay Mr Wikipedia

[video="youtube;eBI23_Sjfeo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBI23_Sjfeo[/video]

calm your tits

fckin epic tune
Reply 94
okay Mr Wikipedia

calm your tits

What's the point of the video?

And do you admit you are wrong about the Pakistani national anthem?
Reply 95
Original post by Ravenous
I meant Pakiatanis are more similar to Indians than they are to other nationalities e.g Afghans or Iranians.

Okay, fair enough

They might be more similar to Afghans than Indians, but it's a tough call
Original post by justinetsr
We have different face shapes. We have vastly different cultures.

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

I'm Azerbaijani and sometimes I get lumped with Turks, Russians, Europeans, Asians, Persians, and I get over it. I literally don't care. I'm me. You're you. Why does it matter how people categorise you?
Reply 97
I was actually wondering, whether this preoccupation of some Pakistanis wanting to be more Middle Eastern/Persian/Arab (anything but Asian) is something that only occurs in male Pakistanis.

Are there any female Pakistanis who are not comfortable with their South Asian identity, with its association with India? Or is it just a bloke thing (wanting to be a "macho Middle Easterner" not a "woosy Asian")
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by yasaminO_o
I'm Azerbaijani and sometimes I get lumped with Turks, Russians, Europeans, Asians, Persians, and I get over it. I literally don't care. I'm me. You're you. Why does it matter how people categorise you?

It doesn't

I am just correcting things people are saying that are categorically untrue.

Latest