The Student Room Group

serious help needed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by User23
Here you are: :smile:

OK. You've assumed that CE is a diameter - it's not.

You need to work out the distance of the line DE from the centre to start. Since you now know the radius, and the length of DE, ....
Reply 21
Original post by ghostwalker
OK. You've assumed that CE is a diameter - it's not.

You need to work out the distance of the line DE from the centre to start. Since you now know the radius, and the length of DE, ....

yeah but is it not asking for the radius?
Original post by User23
yeah but is it not asking for the radius?

You've already got the radius.

You were talking about AB in your most recent posts, and that's what I replied to.
Reply 23
You've already got the radius.

You were talking about AB in your most recent posts, and that's what I replied to.

Oh yes course, ok so if r=25cm.. i really dont know what to do from here haha
Original post by User23
Oh yes course, ok so if r=25cm.. i really dont know what to do from here haha

Same as you're already been doing. Pythagoras to find the distance to the line DE.
Reply 25
Same as you're already been doing. Pythagoras to find the distance to the line DE.

wait a minute i assumed that the diameter was CE so i think i got 25 as the radius for the wrong reasons
Original post by User23
wait a minute i assumed that the diameter was CE so i think i got 25 as the radius for the wrong reasons

Your derivation of the radius doesn't depend on CE being a diameter, only that OC is a radius, as is OE.
Reply 27
Your derivation of the radius doesn't depend on CE being a diameter, only that OC is a radius, as is OE.

Oh right ok, so the radius does not link with the diameter then
Original post by User23
Oh right ok, so the radius does not link with the diameter then

I presume you've finished this now then: If not post working and/or precisely where you're stuck.
Reply 29
I presume you've finished this now then: If not post working and/or precisely where you're stuck.

Yeah i get it now, thank you :smile:
Original post by User23
Here you are: :smile:

I'm trying to do this lol, but I'm fairly sure you can't assume that the midpoint of your hypotenuse is the centre of your circle. Think about what would happen if your AD value changed.
Original post by PrimeEpoch
I'm trying to do this lol, but I'm fairly sure you can't assume that the midpoint of your hypotenuse is the centre of your circle. Think about what would happen if your AD value changed.

If AD changed, wouldn't that also change the angle and invalidate the question?
Sorry, I only read the first page. I feel silly now lol

Quick Reply

Latest