The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xJessx
I called the School Experience Programme to arrange observations in schools today but they said because I'm not in the UK, I have to wait until I'm there in person to arrange it. Hope this isn't too late!

Hi Jess,

That just isn't true!

I am currently in Barcelona and I arranged about three days of school experience, not by phoning, but through the website:

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience

I just put my Mum's address (as I have done on my application) because I am only in Barcelona temporarily.

I organised my other school experienced days by contacting schools directly.

If you don't ask you don't get!

Martyn
One of my references is done, just the other one to go and then I can send it of! I'm terrified!
500 characters left on my PS yet all lines used. What the hell! That was a nightmare trying to chop it down to the size they wanted!!!

Hoping to have mine sent off this evening or tomorrow :smile:
I am stuck on Education page. Can anyone tell me how will I know the "Time spent/credits" for all my degree subjects? My degree was four year long and it is from outside UK.
Original post by Niyo123
I am stuck on Education page. Can anyone tell me how will I know the "Time spent/credits" for all my degree subjects? My degree was four year long and it is from outside UK.

When you got your degree you should have recieved the degree certificate and a breakdown of all your units and the credits for each (I can't remember what its called). Well that is for degree's in the UK I hope this is the same for yours.

If you can you may want to email the course provider and ask them.
Original post by Niyo123

I studied abroad as well and I had to contact my university to get a transcript with all the modules and credits.

BTW: Don't you need to have your degree compared through NARIC? They ask for the transcricpt too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jimbles
500 characters left on my PS yet all lines used. What the hell! That was a nightmare trying to chop it down to the size they wanted!!!

Hoping to have mine sent off this evening or tomorrow :smile:

That's because you can only have 80 characters (including spaces) in each line :wink:
Hi, I sent off for my references on the 28th so just waiting to hear back now!! I'm applying for primary school PGCE. Good Luck to everyone! :smile: I wonder how long it takes to hear back from the uni's once it finally gets sent off!! x
Original post by martyncooper
Hi Jess,

That just isn't true!

I am currently in Barcelona and I arranged about three days of school experience, not by phoning, but through the website:

I just put my Mum's address (as I have done on my application) because I am only in Barcelona temporarily.

I organised my other school experienced days by contacting schools directly.

If you don't ask you don't get!

Martyn

Thanks Martyn!

I've already looked at this page but can't seem to find how to get from this to actually arranging it! I've already entered my details so could you tell me please where do I go from the page you sent me? :smile:

Awesome coincidence: I'm a fellow TEFLer and was there a few days ago :awesome:

xJessx
x

Yes, I remember going round and round on that website and never getting anywhere, so had to give up after a number of attempts.
Hi Jess, Hi MPagtches...oh dear...I just logged into the website and see they have changed it all. Now I can't find the school exprience bit!!

Sorry :frown:

Maybe worth calling them and asking how you do it online? Or just call them and give your parent's address if possible?

What subject are you guys applying for? (I hope I haven't asked either of you that already...!)
Hi Jess, Hi MPagtches...oh dear...I just logged into the website and see they have changed it all. Now I can't find the school exprience bit!!

Maybe worth calling them and asking how you do it online? Or just call them and give your parent's address if possible?

What subject are you guys applying for? (I hope I haven't asked either of you that already...!)

I'm apply for PGCE Religious Education ... Anyone else ?
I think I'm going to keep on trying the live chat even though it says it's busy at the moment... :/
Original post by xJessx
Thanks Martyn!

I've already looked at this page but can't seem to find how to get from this to actually arranging it! I've already entered my details so could you tell me please where do I go from the page you sent me? :smile:

Original post by Mpagtches
Awesome coincidence: I'm a fellow TEFLer and was there a few days ago :awesome:

Yes, I remember going round and round on that website and never getting anywhere, so had to give up after a number of attempts.

The website for arranging school experience is

https://sepbookings-ta-recruit.education.gov.uk
So I'm nearly there with sending my requests to my references but the only thing holding me back is my personal statement.
I was wondering would I be able to just *check* my personal statement as 'done' so i can send the request to my referees and then come back and edit my statement? Or am i just being crazy?
Original post by SarahM94
So I'm nearly there with sending my requests to my references but the only thing holding me back is my personal statement.
I was wondering would I be able to just *check* my personal statement as 'done' so i can send the request to my referees and then come back and edit my statement? Or am i just being crazy?

Hi Sarah, once you've sent through your reference requests I think it locks most parts of your application so I don't think you can do that...
Hi Sarah, once you've sent through your reference requests I think it locks most parts of your application so I don't think you can do that...

Thanks, Martyn. I shan't risk it then :smile:
Original post by SarahM94

You can only change your choices and your referees.

If memory serves you are correct.

Sarah I would advise taking as much time as you need on your personal statement, it is so very important. It is your way to sell yourself to providers.
I have 3 weeks before my skills tests.

Hopefully my other reference can do their end in time so I don't have to rearrange them.

I've signed up to Numeracy Ready because I know that that's going to be the harder one for me. I've been getting pass marks, but only by about 2 marks so I definitely need to improve. A lot of it is just because I'm rusty (I got a good maths GCSE; did a statistics GCSE too; did maths AS including statistics 1; and did Biology A level which has a fair bit of statistics in) so for a humanities student I'm in an okay position really!

I've also signed up to Steve's Learning for the literacy test. It's free and has loads of resources so definitely check that out if any of you are feeling unsure with the literacy side of things! I did the first of the practice tests on the skills test website and did get a pass mark (yay Latin for helping my spelling) but it's still not as comfortable as I'd like. The comprehension in particular because it was so boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending