The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Hey guys and girls!

We can share news on Bristol Computer Science on here (offers/interviews/reviews). If you currently study Computer Science at Bristol, can you please give us an overview of your day and what you do?

Course: (BSc/MEng?) (Which Computer Science?)
Subjects:
Grades:
Predicted Grades:

Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnknownDude
Hey guys and girls!

We can share news on Bristol Computer Science on here (offers/interviews/reviews). If you currently study Computer Science at Bristol, can you please give us an overview of your day and what you do?

Course: (BSc/MEng?) (Which Computer Science?)
Subjects:
Grades:
Predicted Grades:

Good Luck!

Bonjour!

Course: MEng Maths and Computer Science
Subjects: (AS+A2 in a year) Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Predicted Grades: A*A*A
Grades:
Advanced Highers (extenuating circumstances): B, C (80% exam + fail in coursework), D (95% exam + fail in coursework/speaking)
Highers: AABBC
GCSE equivs: 3A*s 5As
ECs: selected for a competitive startup accelerator at MIT; founded and ran a startup based in the US for the past year (whilst studying at school in Scotland), run a side web dev and design company, Gold CREST award (computer vision research), run a sizeable (80 student) tutoring organisation

I haven't heard anything from Bristol yet, have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Princepieman
x

They just invited me in for a pre-offer informal visit day. I guess it's an interview.
They just invited me in for a pre-offer informal visit day. I guess it's an interview.

Congrats!! Nothing yet from my end however :frown:
Reply 4
Congrats!! Nothing yet from my end however :frown:

I got my invite at 2am last night (this morning?) so they must send out the invites pretty weirdly. You should get it soon.

I think most of the day is just listening to talks and seeing projects with a short group interview, just to advertise the uni a bit more.
Original post by KingKumar
I got my invite at 2am last night (this morning?) so they must send out the invites pretty weirdly. You should get it soon.

I think most of the day is just listening to talks and seeing projects with a short group interview, just to advertise the uni a bit more.

Are you allowed to bring your parents with you? To be honest, I'm having doubts about Bristol, it just seems boring.
Are you allowed to bring your parents with you? To be honest, I'm having doubts about Bristol, it just seems boring.

Lol, what makes you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, what makes you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just theres not much advertising for a Computer Science degree like Cambridge and Imperial. It just seems boring based on their 4 year old video. However, in the recent, I've seen graduates from Cambridge telling me that Bristols Computer Science department is very good so I really dont know because I haven't seen much yet. Guess I have to wait till the Pre-Offer day.
Reply 8

You're guaranteed one guest and you can get more for your other parent or friend if you want. Looking at the schedule for the day there's a talk just for parents/guardians so you definitely are allowed. But I've decided that I'm just going to go alone.

If things go to plan, I'll have Bristol as my insurance.
You're guaranteed one guest and you can get more for your other parent or friend if you want. Looking at the schedule for the day there's a talk just for parents/guardians so you definitely are allowed. But I've decided that I'm just going to go alone.

If things go to plan, I'll have Bristol as my insurance.

Oh ok, where did you access the plan for the day?
Reply 10
Oh ok, where did you access the plan for the day?

http://www.bris.ac.uk/engineering/departments/computerscience/courses/visit/
Original post by Hareve
Course: MEng Computer Science
Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths
Grades: A in A2 Maths, A in AS Chemistry and Physics
Predicted Grades: A*A*AA

Already been to the visit day on the 28th and was impressed, also live in Bristol!

How was the Visit Day? I'm going next, next week, and I'm anxious about it. Also, do you know about the Travel Bursary?
How was the Visit Day? I'm going next, next week, and I'm anxious about it. Also, do you know about the Travel Bursary?

The visit day was good, it felt like it was more to persuade us to go there than them selecting which of us to make an offer to, that said they did have a group interview stage but its nothing you really need to prepare for. Not sure about the travel bursary as as I said I live in Bristol so just got a £2.80 bus from my house to the uni :wink: I'm sure there will be some info online although.
Reply 13
Original post by Hareve
The visit day was good, it felt like it was more to persuade us to go there than them selecting which of us to make an offer to, that said they did have a group interview stage but its nothing you really need to prepare for. Not sure about the travel bursary as as I said I live in Bristol so just got a £2.80 bus from my house to the uni :wink: I'm sure there will be some info online although.

So was the group interview like questions about your personal statement and why you want to do computing and stuff like that?
So was the group interview like questions about your personal statement and why you want to do computing and stuff like that?

More general stuff not personal statement specific, but we only got asked like 3 questions
Original post by Hareve
More general stuff not personal statement specific, but we only got asked like 3 questions

Thanks for the heads-up! What was the food like?:biggrin:
Thanks for the heads-up! What was the food like?:biggrin:

Priorities are on fleek lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Any chance you could tell me what type of questions you were asked
Thanks
Going for a visit day tomorrow, applied for MEng Maths and Computer Science
Original post by NamelessPersona
Going for a visit day tomorrow, applied for MEng Maths and Computer Science

Good Luck! I'm going next week.