The Student Room Group

IAL's (EdExcel)

Hiya! I'm planning to sit for my IAL's in 2016 and I'll be doing it over two exam sessions given that EdExcel don't offer all the modules in Jan, anyway, I'll be sitting (or at least, plan to sit)
January:

C12: Core Mathematics 12 (WMA01)

C34: Core Mathematics 34 (WMA02)

M1: Mechanics 1 (WME01)

M2: Mechanics 2 (WME02)

M3: Mechanics 3 (WME03)

S1: Statistics 1 (WST01)

S2: Statistics 2 (WST02)

FP1: Further Pure Mathematics 1 (WFM01)

Unit 1: Physics on the Go (WPH01)

Unit 2: Physics at Work (WPH02)

Unit 3: Exploring Physics (WPH03)

And then complement this with
June:

FP2: Further Pure Mathematics 2 (WFM02)

FP3: Further Pure Mathematics 3 (WFM03)

Unit 4: Physics on the Move (WPH04)

Unit 5: Physics from Creation to Collapse (WPH05)

Unit 6: Experimental Physics (WPH06)

In order to gain

An IAL qualification for Mathematics in January.

An IAL qualification for Further Mathematics in June.

An IAL qualification for Physics in June.

My questions are:

1. Is this valid? Can I sit a few modules in January and the complement it with the June modules to gain the above qualifications?

2. If I don't do too well for some of the modules in January can I retake them in June in order to fulfil any university offers (for entry in 2016)? Will I have to notify the university that I am resitting them?

3. What's the difficult difference between IAL papers and A-Level papers, especially for maths, because IAL's are relatively new and the only past papers I'm able to practice with are the A-Level papers, are they the same difficulty as the IAL ones?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Hiya! I'm planning to sit for my IAL's in 2016 and I'll be doing it over two exam sessions given that EdExcel don't offer all the modules in Jan, anyway, I'll be sitting (or at least, plan to sit)
January:

C12: Core Mathematics 12 (WMA01)

C34: Core Mathematics 34 (WMA02)

M1: Mechanics 1 (WME01)

M2: Mechanics 2 (WME02)

M3: Mechanics 3 (WME03)

S1: Statistics 1 (WST01)

S2: Statistics 2 (WST02)

FP1: Further Pure Mathematics 1 (WFM01)

Unit 1: Physics on the Go (WPH01)

Unit 2: Physics at Work (WPH02)

Unit 3: Exploring Physics (WPH03)

And then complement this with
June:

FP2: Further Pure Mathematics 2 (WFM02)

FP3: Further Pure Mathematics 3 (WFM03)

Unit 4: Physics on the Move (WPH04)

Unit 5: Physics from Creation to Collapse (WPH05)

Unit 6: Experimental Physics (WPH06)

In order to gain

An IAL qualification for Mathematics in January.

An IAL qualification for Further Mathematics in June.

An IAL qualification for Physics in June.

My questions are:

1. Is this valid? Can I sit a few modules in January and the complement it with the June modules to gain the above qualifications?

2. If I don't do too well for some of the modules in January can I retake them in June in order to fulfil any university offers (for entry in 2016)? Will I have to notify the university that I am resitting them?

3. What's the difficult difference between IAL papers and A-Level papers, especially for maths, because IAL's are relatively new and the only past papers I'm able to practice with are the A-Level papers, are they the same difficulty as the IAL ones?

Hey, I do IAL as well. To answer your questions, this is very valid, but I would advice you to not cash-in your Further Maths or Maths AS/A-level in January and do it together in May. You will be able to resit modules if you don't do well in them but you'll have to put the module as pending on your UCAS. IAL papers tend to be a little tougher, especially for mechanics units and they also have high grade boundaries. Might I suggest giving M3 in June? It'll work as M3 is a big jump from M2 and you will have studied SHM and circular motion in physics.
Reply 4
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Hey, I do IAL as well. To answer your questions, this is very valid, but I would advice you to not cash-in your Further Maths or Maths AS/A-level in January and do it together in May. You will be able to resit modules if you don't do well in them but you'll have to put the module as pending on your UCAS. IAL papers tend to be a little tougher, especially for mechanics units and they also have high grade boundaries. Might I suggest giving M3 in June? It'll work as M3 is a big jump from M2 and you will have studied SHM and circular motion in physics.

Thank you so much for this! How do you practie/do past papers for the IAL's? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Thank you so much for this! How do you practie/do past papers for the IAL's? :smile:

I'd say keep the IAL papers for the very end. The recent GCE and R papers have helpful stuff as well, so do those. The biggesr advice I'd have for you is to not get used to the question pattern or certain "types" of questions. Really understand what you are doing. IAL brings out at least one unexpected question every year which really discerns between grades. Grade boundaries are also really high so do work on perfect exam technique by reading the examiners reports.
Reply 6
I'd say keep the IAL papers for the very end. The recent GCE and R papers have helpful stuff as well, so do those. The biggesr advice I'd have for you is to not get used to the question pattern or certain "types" of questions. Really understand what you are doing. IAL brings out at least one unexpected question every year which really discerns between grades. Grade boundaries are also really high so do work on perfect exam technique by reading the examiners reports.

Cheers! Where do you get the R papers from? :smile:

Do you have a link?
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Cheers! Where do you get the R papers from? :smile:

Do you have a link?

Since you are doing only Maths and Physics, everything will be available at physicsandmathstutor.com.

Maths: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/
Physics: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-physics/

Check out this website for some additional material - the creator has some brilliant workbooks for Maths. http://www.madasmaths.com
Reply 8
Since you are doing only Maths and Physics, everything will be available at physicsandmathstutor.com.

Maths: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/
Physics: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-physics/

Check out this website for some additional material - the creator has some brilliant workbooks for Maths. http://www.madasmaths.com

That's what I've been using so far, but the only R papers are for 2013/14, nothing before that?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
That's what I've been using so far, but the only R papers are for 2013/14, nothing before that?

Nope, regional students sat for the regular papers before that.
Reply 10
Nope, regional students sat for the regular papers before that.

Thank you again! I've repped you! :smile:
Anyone doing AS level ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you really love your mechanics!
Reply 13
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you really love your mechanics!

Just doing up to M3 for the moment. I might do M4/5 for June. :rofl:
Anyone doing CH04/C34/ Mechanics 1 this January ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by PlayerBB
Anyone doing CH04/C34/ Mechanics 1 this January ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
I am. :smile:

Hey, which one are finding most difficult and is there a thread for any subject?
Reply 17
Original post by PlayerBB
Hey, which one are finding most difficult and is there a thread for any subject?

Well, I'm doing all of maths and further maths plus A.S Physics, the latter seems the most difficult to me.

All of the maths and further maths modules (C1-4, S1-2, M1-3, FP1-3) I'm doing are fairly straightforward.

I don't think there are threads for those subjects, IAL is relatively unpopular on TSR.
Wow, that's a lot, good luck! and unfortunately yeah, it is
Original post by Zacken
Well, I'm doing all of maths and further maths plus A.S Physics, the latter seems the most difficult to me.

All of the maths and further maths modules (C1-4, S1-2, M1-3, FP1-3) I'm doing are fairly straightforward.

I don't think there are threads for those subjects, IAL is relatively unpopular on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest