The Student Room Group

Anyone retaking a whole year of AS Levels as a Private candidate?

I'm just looking for anyone else is in the same situation, I didn't get good grades at AS and I am retaking the whole year on my own as a private candidate.

I really doubt anyone else is doing it but I really hope I can talk to somebody about it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Montypower
I'm just looking for anyone else is in the same situation, I didn't get good grades at AS and I am retaking the whole year on my own as a private candidate.

I really doubt anyone else is doing it but I really hope I can talk to somebody about it.

What subjects are you taking?
Reply 2
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
What subjects are you taking?

Biology (old spec), chemistry (old spec), psychology and maths.

I didnt do maths last year so I decided to do it this year
Biology (old spec), chemistry (old spec), psychology and maths.

I didnt do maths last year so I decided to do it this year

Good luck, I've retaken subjects as a private candidate before, but my subjects weren't as difficult as yours. Do you plan on self teaching maths to yourself?

I plan on taking maths as a private candidate next year with the intention of doing it in one year. What are you aims if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Good luck, I've retaken subjects as a private candidate before, but my subjects weren't as difficult as yours. Do you plan on self teaching maths to yourself?

I plan on taking maths as a private candidate next year with the intention of doing it in one year. What are you aims if you don't mind me asking?

Yes I'm self teaching myself maths right now. The other subjects, since I've already studied them I'm mainly focusing on exam technique and the parts I found difficult.

I aim to do medicine. I don't care how many years it takes I will try my best to do it. Thing is my bad results made me eager to do medicine and at the same time a certain even happened in my life and made me decide to pursue it. I'm well aware of how difficult it is in my situation but I have a goal and I would like to reach it.

What about you? what subjects are you taking?
Reply 5
Head over to the distance learning section few people on there are doing AS as private candidates, might be worth asking over there.
Yes I'm self teaching myself maths right now. The other subjects, since I've already studied them I'm mainly focusing on exam technique and the parts I found difficult.

I aim to do medicine. I don't care how many years it takes I will try my best to do it. Thing is my bad results made me eager to do medicine and at the same time a certain even happened in my life and made me decide to pursue it. I'm well aware of how difficult it is in my situation but I have a goal and I would like to reach it.

What about you? what subjects are you taking?

I see. What made you decide on doing medicine? At the moment I'm doing GCSEs this year while working. As a private candidate of course, I'm doing the three sciences the two english subjects and mathematics. I'm hoping to learn it all early and then start preparing for maths at A-level and possibly further maths if I can understand it all quick enough. Then I plan on doing chemistry, biology and physics for the next two years. I originally took this up for the sake of studying medicine like yourself, but I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking why you want to do medicine.
Reply 7

trust me, you're not alone. I'm self-teaching 3 A2 subjects (maths, bio & chem) and retaking some AS units.

right now i'm just trying to find the cheapest place to sit them.

But i'm wondering what you'll do after doing the old spec for AS this year? won't they scrap these exams after this academic year?
Original post by taeffa
trust me, you're not alone. I'm self-teaching 3 A2 subjects (maths, bio & chem) and retaking some AS units.

right now i'm just trying to find the cheapest place to sit them.

But i'm wondering what you'll do after doing the old spec for AS this year? won't they scrap these exams after this academic year?

I'm pretty sure they're scarping it next year. The get rid of the current maths in 2017. Are you from London? I know a place where you could sit it.
Reply 9
I'm pretty sure they're scarping it next year. The get rid of the current maths in 2017. Are you from London? I know a place where you could sit it.

Yup, west London, but i'd travel anywhere within London.

Do tell, please :biggrin:
Original post by taeffa
Yup, west London, but i'd travel anywhere within London.

Do tell, please :biggrin:

Campbell Harris. I was searching for centres and it seems like the only one I could find near me.
Reply 11
Campbell Harris. I was searching for centres and it seems like the only one I could find near me.

but that one is so expensive :'(
Original post by taeffa
but that one is so expensive :'(

What other places have you found? I was looking for a while and it was the only one I could find. I plan on going to a cheaper centre next year.
Reply 13
What other places have you found? I was looking for a while and it was the only one I could find. I plan on going to a cheaper centre next year.

The cheapest I've found so far is excel tutors tutors at £640.
But this one's a lil dodgy so I'm not too keen on it.

However, someone's just told me about Ebrahim college and the tutor foundation. Apparently they're one of the cheapest, so I'll be calling them up tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taeffa
The cheapest I've found so far is excel tutors tutors at £640.
But this one's a lil dodgy so I'm not too keen on it.

However, someone's just told me about Ebrahim college and the tutor foundation. Apparently they're one of the cheapest, so I'll be calling them up tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying that it's costing your £640 in total for 3 a-levels. That's pretty good. How many hours you studying for a week? Do you mind sharing your revision timetable. I just want to get an idea of it all. What you aiming for?
Reply 15
Are you saying that it's costing your £640 in total for 3 a-levels. That's pretty good. How many hours you studying for a week? Do you mind sharing your revision timetable. I just want to get an idea of it all. What you aiming for?

hey do you think I should switch to the new spec for chemistry and biology?
because I dont want to ruin my life... hehehe lol
Reply 16

No, it's 640 for 13 exams.

I don't really count the hours, I focus more on how much I get done. I set a target for what I want to achieve by the end of the day, doesn't matter how long it takes me.

I study roughly 40 hours a week. And this can be on my desk taking notes, reading, watching videos, doing exam papers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Oh and I'm aiming for a* of course. Gotta aim for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taeffa
No, it's 640 for 13 exams.

I don't really count the hours, I focus more on how much I get done. I set a target for what I want to achieve by the end of the day, doesn't matter how long it takes me.

I study roughly 40 hours a week. And this can be on my desk taking notes, reading, watching videos, doing exam papers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's really good. That's the same with me as well. I'm just planning to try and know it all before January then hopefully move on to the A-level content this year before sitting the GCSEs exams. So I'll have an advantage while doing the A-level. Good luck. What do you want to do after?

hey do you think I should switch to the new spec for chemistry and biology?
because I dont want to ruin my life... hehehe lol

I haven't looked into the syllabus yet. However, I'm assuming you've gone over the two years A-level limit that most medical schools require. So in your situation you should do the one were your mostly likely to get the grades you need. You don't want to look like that candidate who keeps trying and can't pass. It implies you don't have the ability. The commitment is great, but try and pass it this year no matter what.
Reply 19
Oh that's really good. That's the same with me as well. I'm just planning to try and know it all before January then hopefully move on to the A-level content this year before sitting the GCSEs exams. So I'll have an advantage while doing the A-level. Good luck. What do you want to do after?

Which exams are you sitting this June?

Computer science is what I want to study in uni. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest