The Student Room Group

Please help with biology question

Hi everyone, could someone please give me examples of how assisted evolution can be used in the future. I'm struggling to understand why and how it's different from genetic engineering.
Reply 1
The most used example for assisted evolution is for Coral reefs so that coral can be more resistant to climate changes.

Assisted evolution in my opinion is almost the same as "selective breeding" and "artificial selection", where the population is manually bred, and is exposed to environmental stress chosen by human. Those that are more adapted to the environmental stress will be selected for, passing on their adaptations to the next generations.

The difference between this and genetic engineering is that, assisted evolution does not involve inserting a foreign genetic material from other species / other individuals.
Reply 2
Original post by hknobody
The most used example for assisted evolution is for Coral reefs so that coral can be more resistant to climate changes.

Assisted evolution in my opinion is almost the same as "selective breeding" and "artificial selection", where the population is manually bred, and is exposed to environmental stress chosen by human. Those that are more adapted to the environmental stress will be selected for, passing on their adaptations to the next generations.

The difference between this and genetic engineering is that, assisted evolution does not involve inserting a foreign genetic material from other species / other individuals.

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending