The Student Room Group

Overrated bands/artists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
Tbh, I'm happy with your response. I was thinking you were going to write "Nas" but as you said, his discography is mediocre.

Interesting you say Ghostface. I'm a massive fan and I'm glad he's still putting lots of material out these last few years. Love Andre and Rakim too. Not given much time to Ice Cube and none to Chuck D.

The last Ghostface album I heard was 12 Reasons To Die I think it was, but he had some producer make it all who totally ruined it for me, it just didn't sound like a Ghost album. I need to peep the collab album he put out earlier this year. The last Wu album was ****ing awful! :biggrin:

Check Cube's first four solo albums, they are a bit old school sounding, but worth a listen. Public Enemy are like nothing you've ever heard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDee9BwC-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0b0jIaCEHU

To me, the greatest rapper is an artist that can appeal to absolutely everybody. For me it's Kendrick. TPAB solidified it for me. I love most hip hop tbh. I'm not a hip hop snob you put on some Fetty Wap and I'll listen to it. You wanna put on some J Dilla or Madlib and I'll jam. You wanna take some acid with me and we'll kick it to Flying Lotus. Turn up at the club and sh*t, you might see me crying in the corner with my ex gf to Drake.

I appreciate most forms of the art. Although i can't stand 2pac.

I love Dilla. Donuts + Fantastic 1 & 2 are :cool:
You know who isn't overrated?

Spoiler

Reply 142
Original post by Wilfred Little
The last Ghostface album I heard was 12 Reasons To Die I think it was, but he had some producer make it all who totally ruined it for me, it just didn't sound like a Ghost album. I need to peep the collab album he put out earlier this year. The last Wu album was ****ing awful! :biggrin:

Check Cube's first four solo albums, they are a bit old school sounding, but worth a listen. Public Enemy are like nothing you've ever heard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDee9BwC-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0b0jIaCEHU

I love Dilla. Donuts + Fantastic 1 & 2 are :cool:

I know public enemy ofc, especially those two songs haha they been sampled to death but not listened to chuck as a solo artist.

I loved Wu tangs latest album tbh. Have you heard Ghosts collab with BadBadNotGood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YW_RqTuZMw
Original post by driftawaay
The following bands..... for the life of me I cannot understand why people listen to them. I have tried to hard to like all of these but I find them incredibly dull and tedious.

- Blur - how they are compared to Oasis is beyond me, they have exactly 0 catchy songs. I have listened to their albums so many times and I don't recall any of the tracks beause they just failed to get stuck in my head

- Pink Floyd - they have like 5 decent songs and the rest are these long tracks which have no singing for the first 3 minutes and they are so repetitive and then they have the short tracks which are basically like blank tracks

- The Rolling Stones - I just don't get it

- Duran Duran - same as Blur, I just can't seem to recall any of their songs no matter how many times I listen to their albums and try to get into them and try to tell myself they are good, I just don't remember any of the tunes the next day

- Fleetwood Mac - Apparently, their album 'Rumours' is like everything, but I'd rather watch paint dry

- Radiohead - their music is just pointless. I only like one song. The rest of them all sound the same and have no melody.

- Muse - pretentious idiots, their only decent songs are the singles.

- Maroon 5 - they have 2 memorable songs. She will be loved and This Love yet they're huge

- The Beatles - listening to basic music from the early 60's just doesnt make me jump up and down. their music is so basic, I am sure I would find it amazing if this was 50 years ago but in 2015, it just doesnt work anymore.

cant think of any others now

list yours xo
I get so tired of hearing/reading about people's unedicated bigotry concerning music, especially when they write off all music that requires actual listening. Music isn't about catchy tunes or quotable lyrics. It's about a person or group expressing their souls, in a way that could touch yours.

Pink Floyd did far more than five decent pieces - you've probably only heard Money and Another Brick In The Wall, pt 2. Listen to the albums, not the songs, and listen properly. Music isn't about catchy tunes or corny lyrics. Ever felt like you're going crazy and the world's just too big and scary? Listen to The Dark Side of the Moon. Pissed at the state of the government? Animals. Want to examine yourself after a string of cock-ups? The Wall. Listening to a single song from one of these albums is like skipping to a single chapter in a book, or a single, out-of-context scene in a film. Of course it's going to be a grind. Music is like sex: foreplay is (mostly) necessary to build the mood properly.

Fleetwood Mac, also, are much better than you're giving them credit for. Their early days as a blues group, before they became more of a pop group, they did some awesome music.

And likewise The Beatles, though early on they were overrated, were pioneers in their right, especially with albums like Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road.

As for groups that I think are overrated... I can't really think of any off the top of my head. Though I can think of entire genres that don't make sense to me.
Reply 145
Nope he isnt :h:

whos the lady in your pic.
Original post by JD1lla
I know public enemy ofc, especially those two songs haha they been sampled to death but not listened to chuck as a solo artist.

I loved Wu tangs latest album tbh. Have you heard Ghosts collab with BadBadNotGood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YW_RqTuZMw

He's only released two, I rate him for PE. Ignore that then.

Na, that's the Ghost album I'm on about, need to check it, it's meant to be good.

Edit: Yeah, that track is big. Feeling it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
whos the lady in your pic.

Kristen Stewart
Reply 148
Original post by Tootles

As for groups that I think are overrated... I can't really think of any off the top of my head. Though I can think of entire genres that don't make sense to me.

K pop?
Original post by Tootles
I get so tired of hearing/reading about people's unedicated bigotry concerning music, especially when they write off all music that requires actual listening. Music isn't about catchy tunes or quotable lyrics. It's about a person or group expressing their souls, in a way that could touch yours.

Pink Floyd did far more than five decent pieces - you've probably only heard Money and Another Brick In The Wall, pt 2. Listen to the albums, not the songs, and listen properly. Music isn't about catchy tunes or corny lyrics. Ever felt like you're going crazy and the world's just too big and scary? Listen to The Dark Side of the Moon. Pissed at the state of the government? Animals. Want to examine yourself after a string of cock-ups? The Wall. Listening to a single song from one of these albums is like skipping to a single chapter in a book, or a single, out-of-context scene in a film. Of course it's going to be a grind. Music is like sex: foreplay is (mostly) necessary to build the mood properly.

Fleetwood Mac, also, are much better than you're giving them credit for. Their early days as a blues group, before they became more of a pop group, they did some awesome music.

And likewise The Beatles, though early on they were overrated, were pioneers in their right, especially with albums like Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road.

Oh look, another little one who thinks that anybody who doesn't share their music taste is an 'uneducated bigot'. Go away.
Reply 150

Ironically, I couldn't stand that song, but loved this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4EDy6wTOsg

I've seen em live. Was meant to be seeing Madlib but he dropped out I think his family are ill.
Reply 151
Kristen Stewart

I want to give her/you a cuddle.

I'm still loyal to cara though. My gal. Do you know who's over rated? Emma Watson. Cara is under rated.
Original post by JD1lla
I want to give her/you a cuddle.

I'm still loyal to cara though. My gal. Do you know who's over rated? Emma Watson. Cara is under rated.

Haha I love Emma Watson
Original post by JD1lla
K pop?
I generally avoid most pop music. It's mostly tacky drum loops and meaningless lyrics performed by people without any nature of vocal skill.

I look back with a level of nostalgia on the music they used to do when I was a kid though. Couldn't name any of them though.

Oh look, another little one who thinks that anybody who doesn't share their music taste is an 'uneducated bigot'. Go away.
I gave a reasoned reply to a bigoted post written by someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. If you said those groups simply weren't to your taste, I wouldn't have had anything to say - but as it was, you insulted them because they don't sound cool to you. And you call me 'little one?'

Juwsewe eimi eibho :yy:
Reply 154
Original post by Tootles
I generally avoid most pop music. It's mostly tacky drum loops and meaningless lyrics performed by people without any nature of vocal skill.

I look back with a level of nostalgia on the music they used to do when I was a kid though. Couldn't name any of them though.

I gave a reasoned reply to a bigoted post written by someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. If you said those groups simply weren't to your taste, I wouldn't have had anything to say - but as it was, you insulted them because they don't sound cool to you. And you call me 'little one?'

Juwsewe eimi eibho :yy:

Good music doesnt always require large amounts of lyrical skill or vocal ability. It just has to be sonically pleasing to that individual.
Original post by JD1lla
Good music doesnt always require large amounts of lyrical skill or vocal ability. It just has to be sonically pleasing to that individual.
Nevertheless, not my bag :p:

I've actually learned a lot about music over the years, and once you look across different cultures you find it hard to really pin down what music actually is.

But the majority of pop music just irritates me. Speaking as someone who's into feelings and expression, the impression it gives me most is that it's just manufactured. I know that not all of it is, like I know that some performers have got skill. There are some really good singers out there, but their style isn't for me. As a trained musician, I have to respect skill, even if it's not applied in ways I personally enjoy.
Reply 156
Original post by Tootles
Nevertheless, not my bag :p:

I've actually learned a lot about music over the years, and once you look across different cultures you find it hard to really pin down what music actually is.

But the majority of pop music just irritates me. Speaking as someone who's into feelings and expression, the impression it gives me most is that it's just manufactured. I know that not all of it is, like I know that some performers have got skill. There are some really good singers out there, but their style isn't for me. As a trained musician, I have to respect skill, even if it's not applied in ways I personally enjoy.

You know..
Earning millions as a popstar with little to no talent takes skill. Otherwise we would all be rich and famous.

Musicians like Guthrie Govan have absolute mastery over their instruments but do they write sonically pleasing music? Meh
Kristen Stewart is lovely. Has a 'homely' look about her.

And whoever said MJ, I will rep you 100 times.
Original post by JD1lla
You know..
Earning millions as a popstar with little to no talent takes skill. Otherwise we would all be rich and famous.

Musicians like Guthrie Govan have absolute mastery over their instruments but do they write sonically pleasing music? Meh
Would you really say that? Mostly they just have good managers and a reputation for pleasing crowds :p:
OK I'm guessing this is gonna be an unpopular opinion but... Beyonce

She's a good singer and everything, and her songs are catchy.. But people seriously freak out about her, and she really isn't all that? :u:

Quick Reply

Latest