The Student Room Group

CAT: 4th November 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missymc1997
I thought the exact same thing! I think an hour is not enough time

Definitely agree! Luckily they don't seem to rate it as highly in our application as with e.g. the elat tho...
Original post by hbteiddam
Found that so difficult! Hopefully not that much:frown:

Yes! I found it quite difficult. I also didn't think that one hour was anywhere near enough. I only managed 3/4 of the prose passage!
Original post by bucklanda03
It was ridiculously hard :frown: so much harder than any of the past papers I have seen. Literally all my Latin knowledge went out of the window in desperation to get any translation down

Same! I did a lot of preparation for the verse passage because I know that I struggle with that one a lot more but I still ran out of time. I panicked so much when I opened the paper and realised how much incomprehensible Latin I had to translate that I'm certain all my grammar knowledge went out the window and I just scribbled some English that vaguely made sense!
Reply 23
So glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the CLAT, I found it so much harder than the mock one online and really struggled with time :/
Original post by yaschino
So glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the CLAT, I found it so much harder than the mock one online and really struggled with time :/

Did you apply for Worcester? Think I saw you on the other thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by madsparrow
Did you apply for Worcester? Think I saw you on the other thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did! Did you apply there too? :smile:
Yeah I did! Did you apply there too? :smile:

Yeah! Fell in love with it at the open day- the grounds are so beautiful and there's a lake! :wink: which language did you put to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yeah! Fell in love with it at the open day- the grounds are so beautiful and there's a lake! :wink: which language did you put to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the lake definitely sold it for me haha, I love how hidden away it is even though it's so central I'm applying to start learning Ancient Greek, you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the lake definitely sold it for me haha, I love how hidden away it is even though it's so central I'm applying to start learning Ancient Greek, you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah :smile: I've applied for Greek too! Definitely want to learn both at some point, but Greek just looks beautiful 😊 Are you doing A-Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Hahah :smile: I've applied for Greek too! Definitely want to learn both at some point, but Greek just looks beautiful 😊 Are you doing A-Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! We could be studying together next year :smile: No I'm doing the IB :smile: what subjects are you taking??
Yay! We could be studying together next year :smile: No I'm doing the IB :smile: what subjects are you taking??

Aww, from what I've heard IB sounds terrifying 😱
I'm studying philosophy, history and psychology. Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone guessing when we'll hear from the colleges for Classics? :biggrin:
I've heard it's the first week of December
Original post by bucklanda03
I've heard it's the first week of December

I got an interview invitation today from Corpus Christi! You should hear back soon as well :biggrin:
hey, did anyone here take the Greek test?
(edited 8 years ago)
How did your interviews go? :smile:
Original post by mazzaion
How did your interviews go? :smile:

Hey,

It actually didn't go too terribly. I mean, I quite enjoyed mine overall despite some really embarrassing moments. I only ended up having the two at Brasenose whilst one of my friends had six! In my interviews, we talked about literature, language, history and philosophy. They were so short though; we didn't have time to talk about a great deal. Also, they didn't ask any questions from my personal statement except about the history essay competition I entered but that was clearly relevant to history part of the interview. Anyway, I loved my time at Oxford! I met some really lovely people and the student helpers were fantastic. They really made an effort to get to know all the interviewees and keep them as less stressed as possible. They organised events like ice-skating and a trip to G&D's ice cream.
Although I quite enjoyed the interviews, I genuinely have no idea how they went. I'll have to wait until the 6th to find out!
How was yours?
Original post by Ye-SheenKim
Hey,

It actually didn't go too terribly. I mean, I quite enjoyed mine overall despite some really embarrassing moments. I only ended up having the two at Brasenose whilst one of my friends had six! In my interviews, we talked about literature, language, history and philosophy. They were so short though; we didn't have time to talk about a great deal. Also, they didn't ask any questions from my personal statement except about the history essay competition I entered but that was clearly relevant to history part of the interview. Anyway, I loved my time at Oxford! I met some really lovely people and the student helpers were fantastic. They really made an effort to get to know all the interviewees and keep them as less stressed as possible. They organised events like ice-skating and a trip to G&D's ice cream.
Although I quite enjoyed the interviews, I genuinely have no idea how they went. I'll have to wait until the 6th to find out!
How was yours?

I didn't feel like any of them went brilliantly, but I certainly did enjoy them! I had three overall, at Corpus Christi where I stayed. The first one was philosophy and history, which I absolutely loved! I think I did quite well in the philosophy but not sure about the history half of it. The literature one was sososooo interesting, like really, but my brain was steaming and I have no idea whether I did well or not! The language one went great, probably because it was easier than the two others (I'm quite good at grammar, seeing as the french one is awfully complicated)...
My college was so friendly, I stayed in the JCR pretty much the whole time playing Articulate and card games, went to the Ashmolean, visited other colleges... We had a college trip to G&Ds too (so yummy) and movie nights, board games nights... it was pretty great, I miss it and the people there so much!
So yep, gotta wait until the 6th which is so stressful.. not in my hands anymore, but my brain is combining a mixture of certainty I won't get in and frantic hope that I will :smile:
Was wondering how people did? I got rejected for Classics II at Worcester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got accepted for Classics I at Queen's College! Any other Classicists who got in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending