The Student Room Group

Empirical Formulae question?

1.65g Mn and0.64g of O to make manganese oxide. The number of moles of Mn is 0.03 and the number of moles for O is 0.04. If I then divide both numbers by 0.03, you get 1.3 recurring for O? Should I just multiply the amount of moles by 100 to get Mn3O4?

Thanks
Original post by Megan_101
1.65g Mn and0.64g of O to make manganese oxide. The number of moles of Mn is 0.03 and the number of moles for O is 0.04. If I then divide both numbers by 0.03, you get 1.3 recurring for O? Should I just multiply the amount of moles by 100 to get Mn3O4?

Thanks

yes, you must multiply through by an appropriate number to make all of the other numbers integral.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
yes, you must multiply through by an appropriate number to make all of the other numbers integral.

Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by charco

Do you have any idea how to do this question?
Calculate the number of moles of atoms (gram-atoms) of the elements combining with 1 mole of atoms (gram-atoms) of oxygen and hence deduce the the formula of the oxide of 0.69g of sodium formed 0.93g of sodium oxide? Thanks
Original post by Megan_101
Do you have any idea how to do this question?
Calculate the number of moles of atoms (gram-atoms) of the elements combining with 1 mole of atoms (gram-atoms) of oxygen and hence deduce the the formula of the oxide of 0.69g of sodium formed 0.93g of sodium oxide? Thanks

divide sodium by its relative atomic mass
divide the difference between the mass of sodium and the mass of sodium oxide by the relative atomic mass of oxygen
Simplify the ratio.
Reply 5
Original post by charco
divide sodium by its relative atomic mass
divide the difference between the mass of sodium and the mass of sodium oxide by the relative atomic mass of oxygen
Simplify the ratio.

Thank you so much:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest